House Price Crash Forum
Portent

Some Petrol Statios Could Run Out Today

BBC News 24 is on in the background and I just caught the tail end of their petrol report. I missed most of it but apparently some petrol stations have warned they could run out of petrol today unless they get more supplies. I didn't realise it had got that bad?

BBC News 24 is on in the background and I just caught the tail end of their petrol report. I missed most of it but apparently some petrol stations have warned they could run out of petrol today unless they get more supplies. I didn't realise it had got that bad?

Two are already out of petrol near me (chorley, lancashire)

Panic stations at pumps

Queues at Mile End Service Station, near Oswestry

Fuel supplies in Shropshire were running low today as a wave of panic buying swept the county. Motorists queued at 24-hour petrol stations throughout the night in a bid to beat the rush while others joined long queues on their way to work today.

The Red Lion Service Station at Holyhead Road, in Wellington, was one of the first to run out of fuel at 8pm yesterday. Jeanette Hill said: "We are expecting a delivery later today."

As the Shell garage in New Trench Road, Donnington, ran out of unleaded fuel Sandip Samra, assistant manager, urged people to stop joining the frenzy. "Stop panicking. This is the reason we are running out, it's ridiculous," she said.

The 24-hour Jay Services in Cosford was forced to ration fuel to £20 per vehicle and staff at Trench Lock 24-7 saw motorists arriving through the night in a bid to beat the rush.

The chaos hit Shrewsbury as hundreds packed out the forecourts and more were expected to join the queues after work.

My local paper. http://www.shropshirestar.com/show_article.php?aID=37168

am i in a different country??

not even seen a queue yet :blink:

filled up yesterday - no probs.

anyone else wondering what the fuss is all about or am in my own little time and space continuum???

Around here (North Nottingham area) our Asda has run dry for the second day in a row, I have tried Jet but that was also shut.

Huge queues at Morrisons, and Esso I didn't bother waiting!

Yesterday the police had to move traffic along as they were blocking the entrance to our main hopsital while waiting in line to grab there petrol.

Madness!

Texaco Accrington out of everything

Q8 Accrington out of everything

Tesco Centenary Way Burnley out of everything

Save Burnley out of unleaded

Asda Burnley out of diesel

Esso Rossendale Road Burnley out of unleaded

Long queues everywhere else

Edited by madenph

Guest Riser

Strikes me they may be better letting the pumps run dry in Belfast, it may put a stop to the petrol bombs :P

From the Belfast Telegraph:

Ministers vow to halt petrol pump blockades

Clampdown on fuel protests

Ministers vow to halt petrol pump blockades

By Brian Walker, London Editor

brian.walker@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

13 September 2005

MINISTERS vow they will stop fuel protesters blockading petrol pumps at supermarkets and filling stations from tomorrow.

Protesters are demanding a cut in fuel duty to halt the climb in fuel prices which have soared by 20% in the past few weeks. .......

Edited by Riser

Texaco Accrington out of everything

Q8 Accrington out of everything

Tesco Centenary Way Burnley out of everything

Save Burnley out of unleaded

Asda Burnley out of diesel

Esso Rossendale Road Burnley out of unleaded

Long queues everywhere else

accrington stanley. who are they? ;)

Last night there were huge queues for petrol stations in Basildon, Wickford, and parts of Southend, causing a 30 min journey to last an hour and a half as many of the roads were (partially) blocked by queueing cars.

My journey yesterday began at 7:30pm - well after rush hour.

One petrol station - a BP - was sold out of petrol but people were still queueing and being turned away.

A colleague who tried to fill up at lunch time reported today that another BP petrol station in Basildon town centre has run out of petrol and will not get another delivery until 5:30pm.

The local ASDA round the corner still has petrol however. There were big queues this morning but by lunch time things seem to have calmed down...

Another co-worker reported that all the petrol stations along the A127 out of London had large queues as they travelled in to work this morning.

There is certainly a lot of panic buying going on around this part of the country!

I went to Accrington the other day havent been for a long time. The still dont cut the grass either. And the woman who served me at KFC ewww her teeth lol, black as anything wtf. :(

What a sad life we have made for ourselves - all of us so dependent on petrol because we have to commute vast distances just to earn enough money to pay for our over-priced EVERYTHING and our ridiculous taxes... What has become of Britain - such a terrible quality of life!

What is this mad metality? There is probably no more and no less potential and actual petrol in the country this week than last. Yes you are going to have to pay more, but panicking and filling up the tank now ain't gonna make a swot of difference to your overall financial position over the next 5 years. Get a life. Get out of the forecourt!!!

Apparently Britain has 80 days supply in reserve, so why are people panicking?

(Although I do admit to spurring some numpties on other forums on, for my own enjoyment- does that make me a bad person? :unsure::D )

Edited by libitina

Did you see that bloke on the news last night. Said something like "I didn't know there was any problem until I was driving past the petrol station and saw the queue. So I thought I'd better join the queue and top up the tank."

Yeah that really helps!

Guest Bart of Darkness
"I didn't know there was any problem until I was driving past the petrol station and saw the queue. So I thought I'd better join the queue and top up the tank."

Baaaahh! Baaaahh!

The Sheeple have spoken!

Did you see that bloke on the news last night.  Said something like "I didn't know there was any problem until I was driving past the petrol station and saw the queue.  So I thought I'd better join the queue and top up the tank."

Yeah that really helps!

'I didn't know there was any problem renting until I saw everyone buying a house. So I thought I'd better get a mortgage and get on the housing ladder quick!!'

It's all very odd.

These protestors have already said they won't actually be blockading fuel supplies, so there really should be no need to stockpile fuel, and I'm sure it'll all blow over in a few days.

Of course, once the predictable scare headlines appeared in yesterday's Daily Mail and Daily Express, the Great British Public started panic buying, which itself is creating shortages.

It's clearly a self fuel-filling prophecy.