House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jethrotull

Bournemouth And Poole Advice

Please give me advice on which area of Bournemouth & Poole to look in for a house.

Mrs Tull and I have 24 hours to decide on an area next weekend. Our last trip was a disaster as we drove round, wherever the roads took us, and didn't really get a feel for things. I would like to target some areas this time.

Requirements:

1. Travel to work daily at Bournemouth University 3 days a week, Bournemouth Hospital 1 day a week, and catch the train to Waterloo 1 day a week.
  2. Very strong preference for a quiet and leafy area, with big gaps between houses. Countryside or in town.
  3. Strong preference for a big garden - for dogs and young children.
  4. Housing with garages and parking is a must.
  5. Need a large family house rather than something flash - i.e. 2,000 sq ft plus, for family of 6 (5 plus granny).

Preferences:

1. Comfortable driving up to 35 minutes.
  2. Looking for a community feel (cubs, scouts, cricket team, etc.).
  3. Strong dislike for edge of town location - prefer either in town or in countryside. Either walk to shops or live in countryside, but not neither.
  4. Need the sort of town that has posh coffee shops and salons for Mrs Tull.

Questions:

1. My budget is £650k, or £2k pcm rent. What would I get for that?
  2. Which small towns and villages outside should we see?
  3. How slow is Swanage on the ferry?
  4. What is traffic like at 8:30am on the way to work. Is it just slow, or will it add 20 minutes?
  5. What about commuting on the train line from Branksome to Bournemouth?
  6. Where in the New Forest should we look?
  7. Blandford seemed a bit far to drive, really on the limit time wise.

Please give me advice on which area of Bournemouth & Poole to look in for a house.

Mrs Tull and I have 24 hours to decide on an area next weekend. Our last trip was a disaster as we drove round, wherever the roads took us, and didn't really get a feel for things. I would like to target some areas this time.

Requirements:

1. Travel to work daily at Bournemouth University 3 days a week, Bournemouth Hospital 1 day a week, and catch the train to Waterloo 1 day a week.

2. Very strong preference for a quiet and leafy area, with big gaps between houses. Countryside or in town.

5. Need a large family house rather than something flash - i.e. 2,000 sq ft plus, for family of 6 (5 plus granny).

Preferences:

3. Strong dislike for edge of town location - prefer either in town or in countryside. Either walk to shops or live in countryside, but not neither.

Questions:

4. What is traffic like at 8:30am on the way to work. Is it just slow, or will it add 20 minutes?

If you know so little about B'mo why on earth are you thinking of jumping in and buying there?

You are better off renting - but if you have kids + school obligations then your choice will be limited.

A few observations:

- Apart from a few central Streets, Poole is a cr*p hole - you are better off in the posher bits of B'mo - not Sbanks. Nice bits of b'mo are bwteen the centre and Poole. Boscombe is like a 4rd world. Chicester is nice.

- Traffic is horrid. You need to get on the main A roads ASAP.

- The train is very good - with a big proviso - you need to walk at both ends. Unlike London, there isn't a good bus service servicing the stations.

- New forest is hard. A doable commute in winter becomes undoable when in summer when all the caravans and pensioner car tourists start.

Your income/plan hinges on B'mo Uni. Are you sure about that? Rumours on the HE circuit indicate that B'mth U might be trouble - its in the most likely 5 HE places at risk of going under. I guess the Nursing bit is relatively safer bet but ...

I'm looking for a south coast town with a harbour/marina to take (very) early retirement, and for two years I've scoured the coast between Weymouth and Brighton. I'm looking for a similar property to you price wise. Personally (and it is after all a personal view) here's what I've found.

Boscombe in Bournemouth is possibly the highest crime/drug infested part of that entire coast line, the worst parts of Bournemouth are surprisingly worse than the worst parts of Brighton. I know Brighton is well outside your search area but it makes an interesting comparison. You have to be very careful buying in Bournemouth, some individual streets are great, but large parts of the town have been given over to student housing and this includes some lovely detached properties which have been broken up into student flats. And the night life in Bournemouth has an edgier feel than Brighton, Brighton retains more families and a large gay community which acts as a kind of buffer to the worse excesses that Bournemouth suffers from. In Brighton the dodgiest areas are the big housing estates which are outside the town, in Bournemouth the problem postcodes are Boscombe and other areas much closer to the city centre.

The rush hour commute by car from Bournemouth to Lymington is about 40-45 minutes. Lymington/Pennington is one of the lowest crime towns in Hampshire. If you're looking for a pretty, safe, community then the coast between Christchurch and Lymington is a good bet. I believe the schools in that area also have a good reputation. There are some very well paid jobs in the oil refineries near Southampton, and the Lymington to Brockenhurst area attracts a lot of high paid oil executives looking to rent or buy, which pushes up prices. The major travel issue from this area would be your one day a week in London. By train you'd either have to travel from Brockenhurst or Bournemouth, and in the summer (as a previous poster said) the New Forest roads can get congested, although the worst bottleneck is further north in Lyndhurst. Estate Agents will tell you that the highest prices in the New Forest proper are in the "three B's", Beaulieu, Brockenhurst, and Burley. Beaulieu I get, although it's a bit small and a bit too quiet. Brockenhurst has the train station but that also brings the summer tourists, Burley is just weird...if you go you'll see what I mean, it has some vague and unconvincing witchcraft connections which have been used to build a synthetic tourist excuse, not attractive!

Poole is a little bit odd, what you see isn't really what you get. Sandbanks is notoriously expensive of course, but also strangely characterless and devoid of practical shopping, and that lack of local shopping and personality afflicts quite a few of the better parts of Poole. The ideal parts of Poole in my view are the genuine local communities that are in the price bracket below you, say £400-600k. Some of these strike me as decent places to live, but once you're spending above £600k then I think you'd be better looking elsewhere.

Christchurch/Mudeford has an achingly pretty harbour area, it would have been well up on my list but for the fact that I'm looking for a mooring and the Christchurch harbour is a bit shallow for my boat, consequently my first choice is Lymington. You have to pick your streets in Christchurch with care, some are a bit pikey but not as bad as Bournemouth, and it doesn't have a wealth of period properties. In Lymington the best houses are south of the High Street, but for a family house these start at about £600k. There's also a lovely area of Victorian houses around Eastern Road and Western Road (where they still hold street parties!) that's a bit cheaper, but most of these don't have off-street parking. If I could find a detached Victorian house with a garage in this area I'd pay cash even at today's inflated prices. The other advantage of Lymington over say Brokenhurst is Waitrose, M&S, and a Saturday street market that dates back to the middle ages.

The sea and beaches get better as you go west. In the Solent the chalk cliffs are constantly being eroded which makes the sea cloudy with dissolved chalk, you also tend to get pebbles and mud rather than sand. The decent beaches start at Milford and get better and better, culminating in Bournemouth which is magnificent. On a sunny day, outside of the high season, there's few things better than an early morning walk along Bournemouth beach.

Edited by silver surfer

The traffic in Bournemouth and Christchurch (cannot vouch for the Poole side) is usually horrific especially in summer. Bournemouth railway station is totally inconvenient for anywhere being a good walk out of the town centre. I worked at the hospital for a good few years and found Pokesdown station (which is an utter hole) was the closest but still a 20 or so minute walk. The buses are poor and expensive. In summer the drive east from the hospital could take over an hour to cover 10 miles with the traffic stacking from early afternoon.

As for the Forest, Brockenhurst has the railway connections but is pricey and again the traffic can be bad especially in Grockle season (all roads lead to Lyndhurst which is choked with caravans Easter to September). This part of the world might look good on the tin but having been born and bred here it is an overpopulated (especially in summer) hole with large pockets of deprivation and poverty (take a look at Boscombe, Poole or New Milton for good examples). The Poole/Bournemouth/Christchurch concrete jungle is certainly not for those who enjoy a quiet life in my expereience. If I had the choice I would head into North/Central Dorset (Shaftesbury/Blandford) and rely on the car or the Salisbury line into London.

Sorry to be negative but familiarity breeds contempt. Good luck!

> large pockets of deprivation and poverty (take a look at Boscombe, Poole or New Milton for good examples).

You forgot the Solent coastal bit of the New Forest, esp. Hythe. Its grim.

Thanks for the advice. I shall narrow it down to that area between Poole and Bmo

I always thought Poole would be too posh because it was smaller and has some prestige businesses such as Sunseeker, and prestige areas like Sandbanks. I learnt now. As I always arrived in Bournemouth via Boscombe it always gave me a bad impression.

You are better off renting - but if you have kids + school obligations then your choice will be limited.

Yes, I agree. Hence I said £2k pcm for rental. In the medium term though I need school continuity and community continuity. Rental with children, dogs and mother-in-law isn't always straightforward.

- New forest is hard. A doable commute in winter becomes undoable when in summer when all the caravans and pensioner car tourists start.

Are you OK at 8am leaving Bransgore or Brockenhurst, or is it just non-stop all day in the Summer?

Are you OK at 8am leaving Bransgore or Brockenhurst, or is it just non-stop all day in the Summer?

It's holidays traffic. There is no 9-5 bout it. If its a nice day its gridlocked all day. Equally, if its a horrid day it can also be grid locked - they stay in the car and pooter around.

Lyndhurst is the major bottleneck.

Like anywhere, you can get an unexpected jam, but the real and consistent problem within the forest is Lyndhurst. So as long as your journey doesn't take you through Lyndhurst you'll be okay. During the summer months I skip Lyndhurst completely when driving from London to Lymington and go via Dibden and Beaulieu.

Requirements:

Preferences:

Questions:

I would recommend you aim for Talbot Woods/Meyrick Park or Dean Park, these areas would provide you with a house with reasonable land and garages/gardens etc, good local schools and private schools and within walking distance to Uni/train station and dual carriage way.

Dean Park is also where the cricket ground is.

Happy hunting :)

I would recommend you aim for Talbot Woods/Meyrick Park or Dean Park, these areas would provide you with a house with reasonable land and garages/gardens etc, good local schools and private schools and within walking distance to Uni/train station and dual carriage way.

Dean Park is also where the cricket ground is.

Happy hunting :)

Bit further out but you could try Corfe Mullen / Wimborne Minster / Ferndown. I lived round there for a bit when I was growing up - good community spirit &c.

Any views on commuting over the chain link ferry from Swanage?

I live a mile and a half from it. It's out of service at the moment for four weeks, with a very long drive round. In the summer queues can be two hours. Even buses and fire engines get caught in that queue.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8678908.Sandbanks_Ferry_refit_delay/

Traffic volumes are a major factor in the B'mouth/Poole/Christchurch area.

I've PM'd you on this.

Edited by juvenal

Any views on commuting over the chain link ferry from Swanage?

Toll ferry is fine in the winter, but avoid it in the summer months as people head for studland and swanage and heavy queues are likely. Its still a reasonable drive which would only take around 40 mins if you didn't use the ferry.

Oh and like any public transport you can never totally rely on it! :)