House Price Crash Forum
rantnrave

Penny Drops On Mumsnet

Amazing the way they make spending £1/4 million sound like a snip and really just spending some loose change.

you mean 250?

Amazing the way they make spending £1/4 million sound like a snip and really just spending some loose change.

OK, one of them was talking about this house.

Can someone please explain to me how a run down semi with no garden, which no doubt has non-stop aircraft noise from Heathrow, can possibly be worth £675K?

OK, one of them was talking about this house.

Can someone please explain to me how a run down semi with no garden, which no doubt has non-stop aircraft noise from Heathrow, can possibly be worth £675K?

I rent in Richmond, fairly near there. The aircraft noise isn't too bad at all, I used to live in Kew where it was bad, a mile or so makes all the difference.

It's "worth" £675k because it's very close to Richmond Park, very close to the shops, close to some decent schools, reasonably close to two stations, has off-street parking, a garage, and a secluded garden. No, it might not really be worth £675k, but judging by how property is still moving in this area somebody will probably offer that, or something very close to it, before too long. That's just the way it is.

I rent in Richmond, fairly near there. The aircraft noise isn't too bad at all, I used to live in Kew where it was bad, a mile or so makes all the difference.

It's "worth" £675k because it's very close to Richmond Park, very close to the shops, close to some decent schools, reasonably close to two stations, has off-street parking, a garage, and a secluded garden. No, it might not really be worth £675k, but judging by how property is still moving in this area somebody will probably offer that, or something very close to it, before too long. That's just the way it is.

Thanks, I guess you are right. It just astonishes me that someone is willing to spend so much, on (what I perceive to be) so little.

Thanks, I guess you are right. It just astonishes me that someone is willing to spend so much, on (what I perceive to be) so little.

Richmond park has deer.

It also has dear houses. Different from duck houses I might add.

We already have a mortgage with barclays, we are letting our london home, but are not planning to return to it. It is mortgaged through the roof, on a interest only mortgage, the tenants pay the rent which pays the mortgage. But other than that, we are 30 something year olds with 2 kids.

Well that's annoying! How many savers here are pleased they are helping this person with a low interest only mortgage while you get negative returns on your savings for being prudent?

:angry:

We already have a mortgage with barclays, we are letting our london home, but are not planning to return to it. It is mortgaged through the roof, on a interest only mortgage, the tenants pay the rent which pays the mortgage. But other than that, we are 30 something year olds with 2 kids.

Well that's annoying! How many savers here are pleased they are helping this person with a low interest only mortgage while you get negative returns on your savings for being prudent?

I'm not bothered. It's just a business investment thing. It could flip around and bite them on their proverbial arses.

If anything I feel sorry for them. They don't even know something as simple as their ages.

I'm not bothered. It's just a business investment thing. It could flip around and bite them on their proverbial arses.

If anything I feel sorry for them. They don't even know something as simple as their ages.

:lol:; probably lied about that on the mortgage app too.

Hmm well I thought that about my former landlord in Romford. However I calculate he's lost his £70k equity, so his subsidised mortgage ain't looking so good.

I don't get this one...

Good news is people are taking offers though. We just had an offer of £115k accepted on a 3 bed that was advertised at £147k and hopefully by Christmas will be on the property market for the first time ever!!

It's very exciting. We only have £18k deposit and live off a single income (£24.5k) with two kids, but our mortgage repayments will only be £410.65 a month with nationwide (dropping rapidly if we make over payments, which we hope too). It's worth shopping around, for mortgage brokers. They all claim to be whole of market, but none of them managed to give us the same deals. Some of them were not even close to the interest rate we have now!

If I use bbc mortgage calculator, if it is repayment, they would have had to have bagged an interest rate of 1.9 percent on a 25 year term. Can a mortgage broker get you a better deal than nationwides website? If I take the rate on their website and use it interest only then it works out as 318 a month. So it can't be I/O.

The fact is that there are people who are still living in the “orealist” bubble. Sadly it appears a lot of Mumsnutters. That particular areas floor value jumped in just a few years by greedy EAs, and they have since just stuck to that high value when valuing any properties coming onto the market. When the market falters areas like this are going to be decimated.

When you see areas like this you can understand why people like the CML are scared by the FSA demanding that lenders actually do their job and make sure that borrowers can afford loans.

I don't get this one...

Good news is people are taking offers though. We just had an offer of £115k accepted on a 3 bed that was advertised at £147k and hopefully by Christmas will be on the property market for the first time ever!!

It's very exciting. We only have £18k deposit and live off a single income (£24.5k) with two kids, but our mortgage repayments will only be £410.65 a month with nationwide (dropping rapidly if we make over payments, which we hope too). It's worth shopping around, for mortgage brokers. They all claim to be whole of market, but none of them managed to give us the same deals. Some of them were not even close to the interest rate we have now!

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I get that here in my town. Close to a national park, where I can go climbing, walking, riding, etc. All clean good fun. Some schools nearby are no doubt good I'm sure, there's a train station, garages nearby, I have a garden, it's a tenth of that price though - so there must be a cockerney premium - or "I saw you coming" perhaps <_<

so there must be a cockerney premium - or "I saw you coming" perhaps <_<

Seriously, are you trolling? WTF is a "cockerney premium" (sic). The UK media go on about the City and London so much that I don't see how anyone could be so ill informed.

Once you have been burgled, ram-raided, robbed, assaulted, children injured, dog stolen, car smashed and can't sleep at night any more then perhaps you'd pay 30% more to move to somewhere safer like Richmond? In London this isn't about snob value, it is just about making your family safe.

Did you vote for the last government that caused this social upheaval in south london?

Seriously, are you trolling? WTF is a "cockerney premium" (sic). The UK media go on about the City and London so much that I don't see how anyone could be so ill informed.

Once you have been burgled, ram-raided, robbed, assaulted, children injured, dog stolen, car smashed and can't sleep at night any more then perhaps you'd pay 30% more to move to somewhere safer like Richmond? In London this isn't about snob value, it is just about making your family safe.

Did you vote for the last government that caused this social upheaval in south london?

Aye Moss Side is rough.

But its only just off a main road, and isn't it technically in East Sheen?

Also whilst Richmond is pretty, it's not that great a place to live.  You can into London faster from places like Reading and Woking than from Richmond.

I reckon every 16 year old lad should be sat down and made to read the "Am I Being Unreasonable" forum on mumsnet for about 4 hours. Just to let them know they're signing up for about 50 years of that ******ing shit if they decide to get married and have kids.

just HOW? do you pay 30% more?

people have always mortgaged to the hilt, and bankers up to 2007 encouraged, indeed, insisted on it.

or are you suggesting lending is too tight to meet the prices?