House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cool_hand

Anger At Flat-Screen Tv Prison Order

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11747509

13 November 2010

The Scottish Prison Service is ordering hundreds of flat-screen televisions for inmates in order to meet energy efficiency targets, it has emerged.

It wants to acquire 1,600 19-inch sets for use across the estate, including at new sites at Shotts and Low Moss.

Labour expressed anger at the move and said it would "shock" the public.

However, the Scottish Prison Service (SPS) said the TV sets would not cost the taxpayer any money as prisoners were charged for television access.

Richard Baker, Labour's justice spokesman, said: "Many of my constituents can't afford new televisions, and particularly not s*****y 19-inch flat-screen affairs. What sort of message does this send?"

The SPS said televisions had been "a feature" of prisons since 1999 when Labour began its eight-year term at Holyrood.

A spokesman for the service said: "SPS are seeking a future supply of in-cell televisions which are energy efficient to meet SPS green targets.

"It will require that the supplier holds stock that prisons will draw down as required."

The spokesman added: "Prisoners are charged £1 per week for televisions and we have around 7,800 prisoners at the moment. There is, therefore, no cost to the taxpayer.

"Televisions are not a right but a privilege, and prisoners have them at the discretion of the governor."

A Scottish government spokeswoman added: "Prisoners have to pay a weekly fee for this use and any purchase of equipment is paid for by prisoners themselves."

Complete non-story. Prisoners are charged for tv and the Prison is able to save on reduced supervisory staffing levels.

You might want to ask which high street names have commercial contracts with prisons and can have goods manufactured for a 'wage' of £8 per week per prisoner.

Or you might want to ask, which mobile phone handset supplier has its aerials constructed by prisoners in their cells overnight (bags of 1000 per night) for £40 per week.

If the POA charged the wings for a weed supply and a tv, you could run a slave labour force with one man and a dog.... <_< efficiency savings that just keep giving.

Complete non-story. Prisoners are charged for tv and the Prison is able to save on reduced supervisory staffing levels.

I don't really agree, cheapest weekly rent for a LCD flatscreen I could find was £1.47 - http://www.brighthouse.co.uk/products/home-entertainment/televisions/display-product-large.asp?id=CN22BAIR (this doesn't include storage, transportation costs, or staffing costs to manage the stock before some goes on about some bulk deal discount the prison service may negotiate).

Bearing in mind the prison service will be charged for all the TV's regardless of how many are used (no commercial company is going to want a load of stock sat around due to the whim of a prisoner Governor outside their control. I just think there are better things this country could be spending it's limited money on at the moment. Two of my local sports centres are being closed due to cut backs for example (yes they are used, the council just claims not to have the money to repair them and the state has now got to a critical level).

I don't really agree, cheapest weekly rent for a LCD flatscreen I could find was £1.47 - http://www.brighthouse.co.uk/products/home-entertainment/televisions/display-product-large.asp?id=CN22BAIR (this doesn't include storage, transportation costs, or staffing costs to manage the stock before some goes on about some bulk deal discount the prison service may negotiate).

Bearing in mind the prison service will be charged for all the TV's regardless of how many are used (no commercial company is going to want a load of stock sat around due to the whim of a prisoner Governor outside their control. I just think there are better things this country could be spending it's limited money on at the moment. Two of my local sports centres are being closed due to cut backs for example (yes they are used, the council just claims not to have the money to repair them and the state has now got to a critical level).

You're missing the point. In-cell tv acts as a sedative on the wings - it means the number of prison staff can be reduced. That is where the savings are made.