House Price Crash Forum

Either something very fundamental has happened to the state of sickness within the population of Wales or something very sick has happened to state health provision in Wales.

What's the betting the sme trends are evident in the rest fo the UK?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/11/13/more-jobs-for-managers-but-fewer-for-the-nurses-91466-27651105/

More jobs for managers, but fewer for the nurses

Nov 13 2010 by Madeleine Brindley, Western Mail

THE number of managers in the Welsh NHS has soared as the nursing workforce has shrunk, according to figures released by the Conservatives yesterday.

Figures obtained by shadow health minister Andrew RT Davies revealed the number of managers has risen by a staggering 20% since 2005.

In the same period, there has been a 24% reduction in the absolute number of nurses, midwives and health visitors working on Welsh hospital wards and in the community.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/11/13/more-jobs-for-managers-but-fewer-for-the-nurses-91466-27651105/#ixzz159hgtiAX

i say, cut all public sector salaries by 50% above 25K.

wont affect the nurses much, and those oh so clever "managers", well they'll just up and off to the private sectpr where their talents will be well received and rewarded.

The NHS can close up the company car leases, open up parking space and close those pension funds.

We've been without mangers for a week at work.........................it's running along quite nicely.

The Welsh NHS is so political.

I did some IT work looking at modernising it some 5 or 6 years back. There was one building staffed by hundreds of people which have must have been the most depressed people I have ever seen working in the most depressing building I have ever been in - nicotine stained floors, walls, lifts and those already by then long illegal green PC monitors.

All the staff were clerical - not one medical.

The place could have been replaced with a modern IT system/database in GP offices but it would have meant sacking the hundreds of staff in this building and closing it down. But it was in the constituency of a Labour AM and MP and that was not going to happen for political reasons.

It was one of those buildings that as soon as I left I wanted to go and take a shower. Incredibly bad karma was coming from within.

Either something very fundamental has happened to the state of sickness within the population of Wales or something very sick has happened to state health provision in Wales.

Ringfencing of jobs and salaries this is called. It also happens in the US, behold Gov. Chris Christie nailing one particularly shameless culprit:

THE number of managers in the Welsh NHS has soared as the nursing workforce has shrunk, according to figures released by the Conservatives yesterday.

Figures obtained by shadow health minister Andrew RT Davies revealed the number of managers has risen by a staggering 20% since 2005.

In the same period, there has been a 24% reduction in the absolute number of nurses, midwives and health visitors working on Welsh hospital wards and in the community.

Read More http://www.walesonli.../#ixzz159hgtiAX

My sis works for the NHS in Yorks as a nurse. She says those numbers sound about right. Lots of pointless 'managers' on £30k+ but they're not replacing porters that leave who were on £16k. E.G; they aquired an entire new layer of 'managers' whose job was to pester medical staff to compile and collect statistics to ensure that the NuLab Soviet style targets were met.

this is why NHS trusts are being privatised

I think we have discussed this before but it isn't happening in Wales I believe?

remind me not to go and live in Wales then. And don't expect me to pay for it.

here's some fun news from the 'health service journal':

http://www.hsj.co.uk...5014299.article

Analysis by the Hay Group suggests middle managers' remuneration is broadly competitive with that of their counterparts in the private sector. For senior managers - chief executives, directors and those who report to them - the private sector has a clear lead.

except they couldn't hack an equivalent job in the private sector :lol:

(it's actually an awful sociological sounding aritcle with an incoherent argument - worth it for a few laughs I s'ppose)

but here's a nice one instead:

http://www.echo-news...nding_shake_up/

Half of NHS managers face axe in spending shake-up - Essex (?) Echo

THE number of health managers in south-east Essex is to be slashed by half under new Government targets.

In the last financial year (2009/10) there were 160 staff at NHS South East Essex who fell into the Department of Health's definition of management costs.

These costs must now be reduced by 48 per cent by 2012/13 when primary care trusts are set to be abolished under the Government White Paper called Liberating the NHS.

Bosses say they are in discussion with affected staff and working to maintain staff morale.

The money saved must go back into patient care.

Chief executive Andrew Pike, speaking at NHS South East Essex's annual general meeting, said: "Over the next two years we need to maintain our quality of service and morale of staff.

"We need to manage our money better and our management costs. We have to halve them by 2012, and this has to be handled very carefully and supportively."

The savings were identified by Health Secretary Andrew Lansley who said in June: " I want to see immediate action this year to reduce management costs so the savings made can be reinvested in NHS care for patients."

Management costs in primary care trusts and strategic health authorities have increased nationally by more than £1billion since 2002/03, with more than £220million of the increase recorded in 2009/10.

The Government has set a target of a reduction of £850million by April 2013.

Edited by Si1

this is why NHS trusts are being privatised

I think we have discussed this before but it isn't happening in Wales I believe?

remind me not to go and live in Wales then. And don't expect me to pay for it.

at least they still have their free prescriptions and free parking at hospitals..............for now

at least they still have their free prescriptions and free parking at hospitals..............for now

define 'free'

You need managers to set targets and then even more managers to ensure said targets can be fudged. You then need to hire more managers to find out why said targets have been fudged to report to a committee to find out you need to hire more managers to ensure targets can be met.

Edited by interestrateripoff

You need managers to set targets and they even more managers to ensure said targets can be fudged. You then need to hire more managers to find out why said targets have been fudged to report to a committee to find out you need to hire more managers to ensure targets can be met.

this needs managing

i say, cut all public sector salaries by 50% above 25K.

wont affect the nurses much, and those oh so clever "managers", well they'll just up and off to the private sectpr where their talents will be well received and rewarded.

The NHS can close up the company car leases, open up parking space and close those pension funds.

There only seems to be us two that ever talk about cutting pay. It's obviously one of the main reasons why we have had HPI and if pay isn't cut the looters will keep their bags of swag and help to keep house prices inflated. They can keep buying houses for themselves and pour money into BTL to price FTBs out. The NHS is a classic example and one firm offering BTL mortgages said their typical client is a doctor. The last doctor I visited had 3 properties.

Cheap credit/liar loans also fuelled price rises but that was because people were trying to compete with the prices rises from money pouring down the ladder from the top. People wouldn't have needed so much debt if prices weren't getting so much higher.

I don't agree with a 50% cut across the board. I think we should roll wages back. It needs a sliding scale, the larger the increase since 1999 then the larger the pay cut. Sack them, renegotiate their contracts, etc just do whatever it takes.

Of course something also needs to be done about the private secotr with such as FTSE bosses getting 55% last year. More votes for private shareholders in remuneration matters. Where do people think the money from those pay rises is going to come from if it isn't price rises for the public?

This whole culture of "we have to pay them excessive wages or they might leave" needs showing up for what it is. TFB.