House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

German People In Unprecedented Rebellion Against Government

Because they don't want to have to deal with thousands of smelly anti-nuclear weenies flying into their country to 'protest'.

I suggest that you go to one of the countries that I have named and try to organise a protest (green or otherwise) against government policy... good luck. You'll need it.

If you can't think of any more valid objections, then I believe that my point still stands: why are the world's dictators not fighting to take this "harmless" nuclear waste off our hands?

Not my area, but could anyone please explain why we couldn't successfully jettison the waste into space or into the sun from a space shuttle etc etc?

I mean why do we have to bury it here on earth?

Space launches are still far too unreliable at present.

Maybe a few decades from now, when they are as reliable as air transport, then we (the human race) can think of dumping this waste into deep space... a nice, neat solution. But our technology is not there yet (and, based on the lack of progress in space launch technology over the last few decades... it's going to be a little while yet :( I'd also love to holiday on the moon, but realistically it's not going to happen in my lifetime).

Yep - send some spaceships out to the farthest corners of the Universe covered in viruses and bacteria, loaded with radioactive material and see what comes back in a few million years. B)

Could it be any worse than what's here already.

http://www.cherryflava.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/dzn_london2012_mascots_wenlock_2.jpg

(maybe there should be a Cyclops smiley but who would know what it meant and for that matter what's it doing in the Olympics apart from just being monstrous)

Edited by billybong

Modern nuclear reactor tech is clean.

All the hazardous waste is from the old reactors... the ones the boomers used to generate their cheap electricty.

When the leccy inductry was nationalised, the nuclear power stations were sold off but the tories agreed that the state would cover the decommisioning and clean-up costs.

The cost is currently estimated to be over £100bn, though they admit in reality this figure is likely to be far too low, and they have NO IDEA how much it will costs or how to do it.

None of these clean-up costs are listed in government finances anywhere... another debt quietly handed by the boomers to their children.

Imo the issues of radioactive waste are totally overblown, if you look into many of these green groups you soon find huge funding by corporations and interest groups who would be hurt if nuclear went forward.

Some points I believe about the waste.

-radiation really isn't that dangerous. You'd be amazed how much radiation you are taking in all the time if you sit near a conrete wall or foundation. Remember tens of thousand of people around the world work inside nuclear plants and they are fine.

-the waste is tiny. Say it costs 1 billion for a facility, that is next to nothing for say the French industry that does 100 billion a year in revenues.

-the 'waste' is actually fuel for future breeder reactors. Between 97 and 99% of the energy still remains in the 'spent fuel' from todays reactors. No point in hiding it away, soon enough we will be using it. Breeder reactors are a known technology that already operate commercially in the world.

Imo the £100 billion UK nuclear decommissioning is a whole bunch of high paying non-jobs and contracts where people are charging by the hour.

Some points I believe about the waste.

-radiation really isn't that dangerous. You'd be amazed how much radiation you are taking in all the time if you sit near a conrete wall or foundation. Remember tens of thousand of people around the world work inside nuclear plants and they are fine.

If you think radiation isn't very dangerous then why don't you offer youar garden or your cellar as storage place for it?

-the waste is tiny. Say it costs 1 billion for a facility, that is next to nothing for say the French industry that does 100 billion a year in revenues.

-the 'waste' is actually fuel for future breeder reactors. Between 97 and 99% of the energy still remains in the 'spent fuel' from todays reactors. No point in hiding it away, soon enough we will be using it. Breeder reactors are a known technology that already operate commercially in the world.

Imo the £100 billion UK nuclear decommissioning is a whole bunch of high paying non-jobs and contracts where people are charging by the hour.

Complete BS. If things were as easy as you claim they are then why does NO country in the world yet have a good solution for the nuclear waste?

All those scientists must be fools and you are the real expert...