House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boom Boom

Just As Predicted: Campaign To Scrap Minimum Wage Picking Up Steam

I knew this was coming. So, going forward, the choice will be to take that £1/hr job, or get benefits denied to you for 3 years. Those student protests are going to look like a garden party compared to what is to come.

I knew this was coming. So, going forward, the choice will be to take that £1/hr job, or get benefits denied to you for 3 years. Those student protests are going to look like a garden party compared to what is to come.

Isn't it £1 over and above the benefits, so probably better than the minimum wage?

And then demand drops, followed by prices and then we're able to compete with China etc...did that not occur to you? The countries that are able to f*ck us over do not have a minimum wage...they have minimum govt intervention!

In 1998 I was pulling pints as a part time job whilst at uni and back then I could get a packet of B&H for 3 quid, litre of guzzeline for 60p and a pint of lagar for less than £1.50...my hourly wage was £3.10p.

....fast forward to today: B&H = 6 quid, pint of piss = nearly 3 quid and a litre of gas £1.20...minimum wage is what? About 6 quid? Also, food prices have gone up too!

Do you not see a connection here? Apart from the fact that I drink, smoke and drive too much, the Labour Govt put through a minimum wage as a way to increase taxation with the side affect being that production of stuff being moved to areas with cheaper labour!

Nothing is to come, apart from a few hundred Labour activists trashing buildings that don't even belong to the party in power! Yes mill***** is owned by someone else...not the Tories!

Isn't it £1 over and above the benefits, so probably better than the minimum wage?

I was suggesting that with no minimum wage, and an employment service empowered to strong arm people into any job they are capable of, employers will be able to drop pay through the floor, because whatever the pay people will be pushed into the job. If they do this, I'd advocate that people spam jobseekers direct with adverts for jobs paying one penny per hour. They would have no basis on which to reject them. The job would be to stand out their local job centre holding a sign that says 'Unemployed? You could be holding this sign and earning 1p per hour'.

And then demand drops, followed by prices and then we're able to compete with China etc...did that not occur to you? The countries that are able to f*ck us over do not have a minimum wage...they have minimum govt intervention!

In 1998 I was pulling pints as a part time job whilst at uni and back then I could get a packet of B&H for 3 quid, litre of guzzeline for 60p and a pint of lagar for less than £1.50...my hourly wage was £3.10p.

....fast forward to today: B&H = 6 quid, pint of piss = nearly 3 quid and a litre of gas £1.20...minimum wage is what? About 6 quid? Also, food prices have gone up too!

Do you not see a connection here? Apart from the fact that I drink, smoke and drive too much, the Labour Govt put through a minimum wage as a way to increase taxation with the side affect being that production of stuff being moved to areas with cheaper labour!

Nothing is to come, apart from a few hundred Labour activists trashing buildings that don't even belong to the party in power! Yes mill***** is owned by someone else...not the Tories!

Right, because those people pulling the strings of government ar really going to allow their assets to deflate?

ps: Every product you mention has gone up in price because of punitive taxation, nothing to do with there being a minimum wage.

In 1998 a two bed river front flat in Docklands was about £150k -£180k , fast forward to today and the same type of flat is £500k , I suppose you are going to blame that on the NMW as well.

3 points.

China....minimum govt intervention? I think not.

Apparently the production of stuff being moved to areas of cheap labour didn't keep prices down (according to your examples)

And I think you will find that millbank is owned by Tories if not the Tories.

Right, because those peoplepulling the strongs of government ar really going to allow their assets to deflate?

ps: Every product you mention has gone up in price because of punitive taxation, nothing to do with there being a minimum wage.

LOL! If they were not a minimum wage than those products I mentioned would not have gone up so fast as the govt would not have the first clue on how to maximise taxation without damaging demand for the said products! But since the minimum wage, they have been able to calculate a maximum taxation strategy as they know what the minimum income is per working person! Every liberal has fallen for the minimum wage blag, but in reality it's just another tool for the govt to extract more money from private firms!

As for your first sentence, well the answer to all our woes is to ditch this dumbass service economy and move back to making stuff! That means attracting investors to invest in this country and it means taking business away from China! The main way to do that is to abolish the minimum wage blag! We are too expensive whilst at the same time we rely on CREDIT to buy goods made abroad! It cannot go on as sooner or later more private firms will just up sticks and leave this country and they'll be nothing left to tax!

And yes, if labour costs fall then asset prices will have to fall too, along with consumer goods prices as well BUT the removal of huge and unfair TAXATION of those assets and goods will soften the blow. It needs to happen and needs to happen damn quick! We need to get back to producing stuff and that means reversing a lot of the Tory mistakes of the 80s and 90s!

During the 80's M.Thatcher scrapped the low pay unit think it was around 1985, that was the minimum wage policy of the day. Things such as fags, drink and petrol went up after as they have always done , NMW has no bearing on the prices of these products.

3 points.

China....minimum govt intervention? I think not.

Apparently the production of stuff being moved to areas of cheap labour didn't keep prices down (according to your examples)

And I think you will find that millbank is owned by Tories if not the Tories.

I think you'll find that you're wrong and on all three points.

In 1998 a two bed river front flat in Docklands was about £150k -£180k , fast forward to today and the same type of flat is £500k , I suppose you are going to blame that on the NMW as well.

The liberals are out in force on this one! Did I mention flats at all? Read the small print!

During the 80's M.Thatcher scrapped the low pay unit think it was around 1985, that was the minimum wage policy of the day. Things such as fags, drink and petrol went up after as they have always done , NMW has no bearing on the prices of these products.

No of course not...it's just a mere coincidence that everything has doubled since its introduction...making a minimum wage null and void? eh? Do you not get it? It is there to extract more money out of the private sector! Has nowt to do with being fair!

LOL! If they were not a minimum wage than those products I mentioned would not have gone up so fast as the govt would not have the first clue on how to maximise taxation without damaging demand for the said products! But since the minimum wage, they have been able to calculate a maximum taxation strategy as they know what the minimum income is per working person! Every liberal has fallen for the minimum wage blag, but in reality it's just another tool for the govt to extract more money from private firms!

As for your first sentence, well the answer to all our woes is to ditch this dumbass service economy and move back to making stuff! That means attracting investors to invest in this country and it means taking business away from China! The main way to do that is to abolish the minimum wage blag! We are too expensive whilst at the same time we rely on CREDIT to buy goods made abroad! It cannot go on as sooner or later more private firms will just up sticks and leave this country and they'll be nothing left to tax!

And yes, if labour costs fall then asset prices will have to fall too, along with consumer goods prices as well BUT the removal of huge and unfair TAXATION of those assets and goods will soften the blow. It needs to happen and needs to happen damn quick! We need to get back to producing stuff and that means reversing a lot of the Tory mistakes of the 80s and 90s!

Germany produces stuff and their wages and conditions are higher and better than ours.

Not cast in stone but my guess is taxation on beer has not moved up that much in the last ten years , the drinks companies have been the ones putting the stuff up.

If the NMW is such a culprit of inflation what are your thoughts on any wages higher than the NMW as they must be more of an inflation producing culprit.

The liberals are out in force on this one! Did I mention flats at all? Read the small print!

No i mentioned flats , if the NMW is the culprit for everything doubling is it the culprit for flats going up by almost times 3 , if not then what is the cause of the inflation on flats.

Read the posts!!!

No of course not...it's just a mere coincidence that everything has doubled since its introduction...making a minimum wage null and void? eh? Do you not get it? It is there to extract more money out of the private sector! Has nowt to do with being fair!

So I will ask again how come those products went up after the minimum wage was scrapped in the 80's ?

Germany produces stuff and their wages and conditions are higher and better than ours.

Not cast in stone but my guess is taxation on beer has not moved up that much in the last ten years , the drinks companies have been the ones putting the stuff up.

If the NMW is such a culprit of inflation what are your thoughts on any wages higher than the NMW as they must be more of an inflation producing culprit.

Taxation makes up a very large amount of the price of beer and that share has been increasing.

I work an hour, I want to be better off by at least the ability to purchase 1 beer, how ever many £s or tax credits that is. NMW and taxation be it income tax, VAT or DUTY determines the ability.

We tax beer way too much, and tobacco.

We could issue workers with discount vouchers for beer and tobacco per hour worked.

The same rationale as a food voucher system, but more tax effective. Food vouchers can be swapped for cash, discount vouchers, can be too, but there is a lot less incentive to do so.

People buying beer and cigarettes spend so much tax they effectively cancel out their benefits.

Pay them £100 dole on January 1st, and every week thereafter and £200 will cover the year. Negative compound interest blink.gif

Let tax paying workers buy beer and tobacco at a reduced rate and reap the rewards.

Germany rides on its reputation alone...not on the actual quality of the stuff it makes! But even now I'm told that it is far safer to by a Skoda rather than its VW counterpart made in a German factory! However, the Germans never went through the strife that this country went through so there reputation for quality products, such as cars, still stands.

The point I'm making is that the NMW blag is a form of indirect taxation that the Govt uses to squeeze more money out of the productive elements of the UK economy. It has enabled them to increase prices of everyday products on a huge scale and also allows them to calculate far better the maximum taxation that would not massively affect demand on those everyday products.

No i mentioned flats , if the NMW is the culprit for everything doubling is it the culprit for flats going up by almost times 3 , if not then what is the cause of the inflation on flats.

Read the posts!!!

Cause and effect.

You didn't ask anything in the first place? You made a statement.

Well I will ask the question now , would you like to answer it , when the minimum wage was scrapped in the 80's why did those products still go up ?

By your thinking they should have gone down .

Well I will ask the question now , would you like to answer it , when the minimum wage was scrapped in the 80's why did those products still go up ?

By your thinking they should have gone down .

Minimum wage scraped in the 80s??? What are you on about? There was wage councils that set wage floors but they were not abolished. The power to create new councils was abolished. However, there was no minimum wage in the 80s??????

Germany rides on its reputation alone...not on the actual quality of the stuff it makes! But even now I'm told that it is far safer to by a Skoda rather than its VW counterpart made in a German factory! However, the Germans never went through the strife that this country went through so there reputation for quality products, such as cars, still stands.

The point I'm making is that the NMW blag is a form of indirect taxation that the Govt uses to squeeze more money out of the productive elements of the UK economy. It has enabled them to increase prices of everyday products on a huge scale and also allows them to calculate far better the maximum taxation that would not massively affect demand on those everyday products.

Demand on beer has dropped in pubs but increased in supermarkets where it is now cheaper than soft drinks.

Smoking has decreased

Petrol is used more now than ever , but many in NMW jobs don't have cars . Not due to the price of the petrol but because they can not afford the car.