House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luminist

Amazing Example Of Chinese Industry

Here is an amazing video showing how a 15 storey hotel was built in 6 days. I expect comments like "I wonder how long it will stay up" from the bashers who can only criticize. However, this video demonstrates why the future destinies of China and the West are going to continue diverging. We all sit on our collective fat lazy **** and they get up and get things done. Game over, man.

Best,

L

A) It's pre-fabricated

2) There must have been loads of people working on it - not to mention 5 or 6 cranes.

C) In general there isn't the urgency to put up a building in 6 days, not even in China. Although the building is real enough, the fast building was probably a publicity stunt.

IV) I wonder how long it will stay up for! :D

A) It's pre-fabricated

2) There must have been loads of people working on it - not to mention 5 or 6 cranes.

C) In general there isn't the urgency to put up a building in 6 days, not even in China. Although the building is real enough, the fast building was probably a publicity stunt.

IV) I wonder how long it will stay up for! :D

Looks no worse than any Premiere Inn. Even taking all that into consideration six days is pretty good going. We've had traffic cones up checking one bridge near us for over six weeks. Cheap shot? Maybe, but makes you think. Good video.

Buildings in China have a life expectancy of 2 years, not because they are crappy but because they have uber bubble economics which means they will demolish buildings to build something bigger on it.

Compare them to British builders though and no contest! There was a grand designs I saw years ago where a prefab house was built by Germans in one day. The builders I've seen are appaullingly bad, my dad hired one in the 1990s it took him nearly a month to build a garage, he required more tea than he did oxygen.

Though prefab is cheating the local McDonalds was bought on the back of a lorry craned in and plumbed in and it was open 2 days later.

There is a british version of that on youtube, can't find it right now but they construct in the same way using cranes and it was about half the size.

I'm more impressed with the speed China is building roads, bridges, dams, nuclear power stations with 23 new ones under construction (only taking about 5 years

from start to finish so far). The UK built it's first motorways at about the same speed China does today but we couldn't do it now because of the cost and mangement

invovled and a lack of Irish labour.

Looks no worse than any Premiere Inn. Even taking all that into consideration six days is pretty good going. We've had traffic cones up checking one bridge near us for over six weeks. Cheap shot? Maybe, but makes you think. Good video.

I agree that technologically China is what the US were in the late 19th century.

However, China will never be as important culturally as the Roman Empire or France or the British Empire or the US...

It's a very strange new world leader. No unique architecure, no new music trends, no movies, no sculptures, etc.

Even the Soviet Union had more cultural impact on the world culture than China.

There is a british version of that on youtube, can't find it right now but they construct in the same way using cranes and it was about half the size.

I'm more impressed with the speed China is building roads, bridges, dams, nuclear power stations with 23 new ones under construction (only taking about 5 years

from start to finish so far). The UK built it's first motorways at about the same speed China does today but we couldn't do it now because of the cost and mangement

invovled and a lack of Irish labour.

The Lats Lits Poles and Brits?

I agree that technologically China is what the US were in the late 19th century.

However, China will never be as important culturally as the Roman Empire or France or the British Empire or the US...

It's a very strange new world leader. No unique architecure, no new music trends, no movies, no sculptures, etc.

LOL! Those wee weird looking people will never amount to anything !! LOL

I wonder how many man hours went into building it? That would be the most important metric surely? because ultimately that is what drives the cost.

people talk about china and india in the same breath but having spent a lot of time in India over the last 2 decades i can't see it. I think their main problem is their democracy. Too much arguing and not enough getting on with it. I don't know how a democratic country like ours will ever compete. A country with unions, extreme human rights, health and safety extremism, minimum wage, benefits for the lazy (and genuinely unemployed), and years of prosperity and high expectations. We need hardship and a dictator to compete with them.

people talk about china and india in the same breath but having spent a lot of time in India over the last 2 decades i can't see it. I think their main problem is their democracy. Too much arguing and not enough getting on with it. I don't know how a democratic country like ours will ever compete. A country with unions, extreme human rights, health and safety extremism, minimum wage, benefits for the lazy (and genuinely unemployed), and years of prosperity and high expectations. We need hardship and a dictator to compete with them.

What he said. The two countries are not even in the same league. Oh, and India does have problems in its own backyard.

I wonder how many man hours went into building it? That would be the most important metric surely? because ultimately that is what drives the cost.

Prefab has long been known to be more efficient, can't give much credit to China for this, can mass produce the components in a factory full of machines and robots, and then bolt them together on site in a jiffy. Did they invent the bolts that hold it all together as well? AMAZING :rolleyes:

Houses have been built in one place and reassembled in another throughout history. Possibly the first advertised prefab house was the Manning Portable Cottage. A London carpenter, H. Manning, constructed a house that was built in components, then shipped and assembled by British emigrants. This was published at the time (advertisement, South Australian Record, 1837) and a few still stand in Australia.[1] Another interesting building was the prefabricated hospital that the British Army deployed in 1855 during the Crimean War designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel with innovations in sanitation, ventilation and a flushing toilet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabricated_building#The_History_of_the_Prefabricated_Building

Those crafty Chinese been reading wikipedia and all that, AMAZING!

I'm more impressed with the speed China is building roads, bridges, dams, nuclear power stations with 23 new ones under construction (only taking about 5 years from start to finish so far).

It's amazing what you can do when the government has the balls to tell the land owners to go f*ck themselves when working on national infrastructure projects.

Compare to the UK, where £6bn of the £10bn cost of the olympics is pure profit for the land speculators.

It's amazing what you can do when the government has the balls to tell the land owners to go f*ck themselves when working on national infrastructure projects.

Compare to the UK, where £6bn of the £10bn cost of the olympics is pure profit for the land speculators.

But this is not national infrastructure - it's a hotel that no one will ever occupy. Go China!

Agreed. India is so far behind China it's a joke! The most funny thing is that India actually believes it's catching China up!! :lol::lol::lol:

Can a country with 200-year history even be compared to the one with 4000-year?

It's a very strange new world leader. No unique architecure*, no new music trends, no movies, no sculptures, etc.**

* The Great Wall?

** Terracota Army?

Just Tao Te Ching is worth all Hollywood films combined.

I don't know how a democratic country like ours will ever compete. A country with unions, extreme human rights, health and safety extremism, minimum wage, benefits for the lazy (and genuinely unemployed), and years of prosperity and high expectations. We need hardship and a dictator to compete with them.

Compete to do what?

Britain's capital infrastructure:

National electricity grid? Check

Water and sewerage? Check

Motorway network? Check

Rail network? Check

Airports? Check

Freedom of speech and the press? Check

Rule of law and low government corruption? Check

Large stock of commercial and residential buildings? Check

Large stock of private vehicles? Check

Highly skilled workforce? Check

Scientific and technological expertise? Check

etc etc

National wealth comes from having lots of the right kinds of capital. Britain has a huge capital base, most of which has proven its real value by withstanding multiple recessions. It is much cheaper for us to maintain our existing capital than it is for China to build new capital. Where is the great capital shortage that is holding Britain back? At current levels of technology, there isn't really one.

Meanwhile China is throwing up hotels and high rise apartment blocks so that bureaucrats can meet their construction targets for the month. Whether those things are actually any use is not really important. In a few years they might regret such a poor allocation of resources, just like Ireland is regretting the 20% of its housing stock that lies empty.

One thing that Britain is possibly lacking is the part of the manufacturing base we outsourced to China. However, I suspect if market forces changed so that it became advantageous to do it here again, we could re-tool in under a decade.

Here is an amazing video showing how a 15 storey hotel was built in 6 days. I expect comments like "I wonder how long it will stay up" from the bashers who can only criticize. However, this video demonstrates why the future destinies of China and the West are going to continue diverging. We all sit on our collective fat lazy **** and they get up and get things done. Game over, man.

Best,

L

fascinating.

but it was pr made off site....and the trucks all seemed to arrive on time as and when. however, in spite of fast rising car ownership, they have taken a leaf out of UK design manuals....no car parking for residents.

Well I must admit that it's impressive.

That said, it is a pre-fab, I wonder what they're like these days, quality wise. I don't doubt it will stay standing, but it'll never have the same feel as a proper building.

Agreed. India is so far behind China it's a joke! The most funny thing is that India actually believes it's catching China up!! :lol::lol::lol:

Global markets wll move from China when, and the will, have to put up labour costs....or, countries destroyed by high wages are able to compete with competitive costs again.

a deflation and BUST would make the UK more competitive very quickly.....continuing to fight the BUST is making it worse...daily.

Here is an amazing video showing how a 15 storey hotel was built in 6 days.

(...)

Brilliant. Thanks for that. 6 days is really impressive.

Not "game over" fore us though. They will develop fast, in 1 or 2 decades they will be importing much more than they are now. Huge opportunity for the rest of the world - if we get our act together, of course...

(...)

I'm more impressed with the speed China is building roads, bridges, dams, nuclear power stations with 23 new ones under construction (only taking about 5 years from start to finish so far). The UK built it's first motorways at about the same speed China does today but we couldn't do it now because of the cost and mangement invovled and a lack of Irish labour.

and stop so much nonsense, like for instance taking 30 years (!) to solve the planing blockages for the A3 bottleneck at Hindhead - the main London-Portsmouth motorway. :( And all the other planning blockages, housing included.

6 days including laying the concrete footing and letting that dry?

i wouldn't step foot in that building if you paid me , thing is very dangerous , could blow over with a mere gust of wind

typical china crap

6 days including laying the concrete footing and letting that dry?

i wouldn't step foot in that building if you paid me , thing is very dangerous , could blow over with a mere gust of wind

typical china crap

Um its actually tested to a 9 magnitude earthquake resistance. And remember the penalty for messing is up is torture AND then death. Unlike say the shoddy maintainence on the UK railways when people die, they give them a 50p fine.