House Price Crash Forum

British Gas Announce 7% Hike

HOLA441

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/energy-customers-face-higher-bills-from-next-month-tele-d4453305bfaa.html?x=0

Myra Butterworth, 11:33, Friday 12 November 2010
Eight million British Gas customers face higher fuel bills after the power giant announced it is increasing its prices.
Households will see their gas and electricity bills climb by an average of 7 per cent from December 10.

Deregulation, oh the joys of. :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-10/gas-oversupply-will-last-a-decade-e-on-ruhrgas-says-correct-.html

Europe’s natural-gas oversupply will remain for the next decade, E.ON Ruhrgas AG’s chief executive officer said today in Berlin.

“The gas glut will remain for the next decade,” Klaus Schaefer, the head of E.ON AG’s natural-gas unit, said at the European Autumn Gas Conference. “A return to the equilibrium is still some way out.”

Here to http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFLDE6A81H620101109?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Well the article mentions long term contracts. Great someone must be making a mint!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I figured this was in the post, British Gas have been ringing me every couple of weeks for the last few months to try and get me onto their duel fuel deal.

It became quite a game seeing how quickly I could get them to hang up on me.

No more calls in the last 2 weeks.

I guess that they have sucked in all of the customers that they could before jacking the prices up.

HOLA447

I figured this was in the post, British Gas have been ringing me every couple of weeks for the last few months to try and get me onto their duel fuel deal.

It became quite a game seeing how quickly I could get them to hang up on me.

No more calls in the last 2 weeks.

I guess that they have sucked in all of the customers that they could before jacking the prices up.

Is that the one where you fight to keep your costs down with pistols?

HOLA448

This really annoys me how these energy companies ALWAYS increase prices before winter and then do us a big favour and drop them before summer. But summer prices never fall below the previous years price. Another scam Joe Public bends over for :angry: What can we do?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Its all the fault of the Winter Fuel Allowance.

We artificially create bidders in the market that could never buy without it. Thus distorting the market.

Same as housing and dodgy mortgages.

student fees and student debt.

housing benefit and ever higher rents

etc.

etc..

etc..

it's all so depressingly predictable

Edited by worst time buyer

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I love the way the price of Gas is reduced (to great fanfare) each spring as your turn the central heating off for the summer, and raised again each autumn, exactly when you are going to need it. :rolleyes:

Is it beyond the wit of the government and utility companies to build more storage?

They did that last year....one puts the price up the rest are now following.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Anyone heard anything about Ovo?

http://www.ovoenergy.com/our-energy/

Fixed rate plan

Guarantees your bill won’t skyrocket even if energy prices do. Helps you manage your bills because the price per unit of your energy will not change during your fixed contract

If your account is in credit, you’ll earn 3% interest equivalent on what’s in there. We think it’s only fair that if your money’s with us you should be getting something out of it.

HOLA4420

This morning I picked up my pint of milk and chocolate croissant from the CO-OP. Yesterday the milk cost me 45p and the croissant 72p today the cost was 51p and 83p respectively so thats a 13% and 15% hike!!! Makes the 7% seem deflationary.

I see a Zimbabwee style run on the pound coming soon. We won't see protests, riots on our streets or strikes as David Cameron will tell us off for being un-english (sigh!) as we are in it together.

Nice to see the students out fighting their corner.

HOLA4421

This really annoys me how these energy companies ALWAYS increase prices before winter and then do us a big favour and drop them before summer. But summer prices never fall below the previous years price. Another scam Joe Public bends over for :angry: What can we do?

They sell off North sea gas for 6 months in the summer for Holland/Denmark/Germany to fill their huge storage tanks at rock bottom prices, then charge us top whack @ highest Winter prices (for imported Russian stuff) in the UK - coz we have no storage tanks to speak of due to our crap Governments!

(they do it on purpose so the elite shareholders get to screw the population for maximum gains)

It also keeps their Russian Magnate Elite buddies rolling in it so they can buy up parts of the UK!

Every single sell off of UK Utilities have led to complete piss taking in charges, Indian call centers who don't Know what the hell you are going on about and excess fees - let alone the ludicrous 18month minimum sign ups and perpetual insistence that they can access & help themselves to your bank accounts!!

An absolute rip-off of the slaves - yet we all take it (how much longer?)

Edited by erranta

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/energy-customers-face-higher-bills-from-next-month-tele-d4453305bfaa.html?x=0

Myra Butterworth, 11:33, Friday 12 November 2010
Eight million British Gas customers face higher fuel bills after the power giant announced it is increasing its prices.
Households will see their gas and electricity bills climb by an average of 7 per cent from December 10.

Deregulation, oh the joys of. :D

Please stop all this deflation, I can't take any more :lol:

HOLA4424

This morning I picked up my pint of milk and chocolate croissant from the CO-OP. Yesterday the milk cost me 45p and the croissant 72p today the cost was 51p and 83p respectively so thats a 13% and 15% hike!!! Makes the 7% seem deflationary.

I see a Zimbabwee style run on the pound coming soon. We won't see protests, riots on our streets or strikes as David Cameron will tell us off for being un-english (sigh!) as we are in it together.

Nice to see the students out fighting their corner.

Haven't you got anywhere else near?

Pack of 10 individually sealed Pan Au Chocolat at Lidl for £1.29

HOLA4425

Wholesale gas prices rise during the winter as there is increased demand.

It's not rocket science.

And UK gas isn't ringfenced for the UK. If the chinease out-bid us for it, it would be sold to them and we'd all have to put jumpers on.

We could build out own storage facilities in the UK to store gas during the summer, but then those would have to be paid for.

Essentially we are simply off-shoring the cost of storing the gas.

All these things are fundamental parts of capitalism.