House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Milton

Stupid Council Rules Inflicted Upon Us.

I took two wheely bins out yesterday eve, [which promptly turned into kites.]

Left them on the pavement, edge of the road, as usual to be picked up this morning.

Because of the weather, I had to pull them back onto the drive, and put a couple of large bricks on them.

This morning, Bin Men saw them and drove straight past.

I ventured out in my dressing gown, but they had shot off up the road.

I called the 'Refuse' Division of the council, and complained.

They told me that even though, the wheely bins were in plain sight. And one footstep away from the pavement.

[There is no gate or barrier at the end of the drive. The drive ends, and the pavement begins.]

But apparently there is an invisible barrier, and the bins were not 'presented' on the pavement, [about 12 inches further out] therefore they must be left!

Frankly its utterly ridiculos.

Under Labour National targets meant that councils were constantly working on things which matter to Whitehall, regardless of what local residents think.

Instead of listening to local residents.

[Civil Servants is a misnomer isnt it. Just like they used to call the Ministry of Defence, the Ministry of War.]

Id rather they used common sense.

Lifes hard enough. Top council officials are paid six figure salaries, to oversee this beaurocratic crap

How have you been affected by the 'Red Tape State'

Left them on the pavement, edge of the road, as usual to be picked up this morning.

Because of the weather, I had to pull them back onto the drive, and put a couple of large bricks on them.

Bin Men saw them and drove straight past this morning.

They told me that even though, the wheely bins were in plain sight. And one footstep away from the pavement.

[There is no gate or barrier at the end of the drive. The drive ends, and the pavement begins.]

But apparently there is apparently an invisible barrier, and the bins were not 'presented' on the pavement, [about 12 inches further out] therefore they must be left!

Under Labour National targets meant that councils were constantly working on things which matter to Whitehall, regardless of what local residents think.

I'd much rather councils were tackling local issues.

[Civil Servants is a misnomer isnt it. Just like they used to call the Ministry of Defence, the Ministry of War.]

Lifes hard enough. Top council officials are paid six figure salaries, to oversee this beaurocratic crap

From my experience this type of behaviour is more common of private contractors working for the Council than where DLO arrangements are in place.

What is the position at your Council?

But apparently there is apparently an invisible barrier, and the bins were not 'presented' on the pavement, [about 12 inches further out] therefore they must be left!

Problem is, common sense is at a premium these days, and not common in bin men.ph34r.gif

I had an experience like this. Council refused to empty our bin because it meant stepping onto our property by 1' (where it was sheltered by the corner of the buiding). If we placed it on the pavement the particular aerodynamics on our section of the hill would carry it right down the road spewing its contents everywhere. Infuriating!

From my experience this type of behaviour is more common of private contractors working for the Council than where DLO arrangements are in place.

What is the position at your Council?

It was not private contractors. I rang the local council, [that little A-Z booklet they drop through your letterbox] and he informed me that the bins were not 'presented' properly.

And that the binmen should not touch them.

After I put the phone down, I felt like ringing him back and being pedantic, asking him, whether bins on the pavement, would be a health and safety violation, as they blocked a section of the pavement.

Which, it seems to me, if you take the plethora, of rules that councils instigate, would be the obvious end result.

That each rule, contradicts the next rule!

I had an experience like this. Council refused to empty our bin because it meant stepping onto our property by 1' (where it was sheltered by the corner of the buiding). If we placed it on the pavement the particular aerodynamics on our section of the hill would carry it right down the road spewing its contents everywhere. Infuriating!

In that case let it spill and the council can clean it up.

I have watched our bin men take photos to show a bin's lid was open by more than 45' and they left it.

It is taking the piss a bit - BUT ......... I still don't understand how people create so much bloody rubbish in the first place. 2 full wheely bins from a family of 4 just seems so much. Perhaps they stick all the cardboard in rather than in the other bin.

(we in oldham have

small food bin for indoors, larger food bin outside that gets put out - but food waste can also now go in the big green bin...

blue wheely bin for cardboard and paper

black wheely bin for rubbish

brown wheely bin for cans, tins etc

I can take old carrier bags and batteries to the supermarket as well as clothes.

Don't get me started on rubbish collection and the ludicrous sorting every single item into a separate bin, collected by a schedule that I can only assume is based on astrology... I've got the same sort of nonsense as SarahBell. The food one in particular, just introduced, is really ludicrous, considering that I hardly generate any food waste. A whole heap of separate things just for an apple core and a slice of stale bread? (thanks to the canteen at work). Not worth putting it out separately, although when I cook at weekends if there's any meat involved and cut off (e.g. fat) it'll now have to either stink for two weeks, or I drag the largest wheely bin out every week to put a couple of small items in it (having shunted all the other ones around). Quite frankly I can't be arsed to bother with any of the recycling ones any more, other than perhaps glass, being bulky and heavy.

Of course it's not a bunch of rules enforced upon you - you don't have to put your rubbish out. The enforced part is having to pay for it anyway.

Don't get me started on rubbish collection and the ludicrous sorting every single item into a separate bin, collected by a schedule that I can only assume is based on astrology... I've got the same sort of nonsense as SarahBell. The food one in particular, just introduced, is really ludicrous, considering that I hardly generate any food waste. A whole heap of separate things just for an apple core and a slice of stale bread? (thanks to the canteen at work). Not worth putting it out separately, although when I cook at weekends if there's any meat involved and cut off (e.g. fat) it'll now have to either stink for two weeks, or I drag the largest wheely bin out every week to put a couple of small items in it (having shunted all the other ones around). Quite frankly I can't be arsed to bother with any of the recycling ones any more, other than perhaps glass, being bulky and heavy.

Of course it's not a bunch of rules enforced upon you - you don't have to put your rubbish out. The enforced part is having to pay for it anyway.

Our council tried to give us a recycling bin but I refused it. I just put everything in the one green bin. We also have a brown garden waste bin and a third one would make the house look like a recycling centre.

We have very little food waste, but when there are scraps of anything smelly (fish or meat) I just put them in a bag in the freezer until the night before collection. Works fine for us and we don't have a big freezer, in fact it's pretty tiddly.

Our council tried to give us a recycling bin but I refused it. I just put everything in the one green bin. We also have a brown garden waste bin and a third one would make the house look like a recycling centre.

Just as long as they dont build an incinerator or landfill near you eh? ;)

Just as long as they dont build an incinerator or landfill near you eh? ;)

What difference would it make. If they wanted to do either I'd object any way (as most people would) regardless of what I put in my bin.

not a rule per se, but business rates are a killer.

Economy booming = higher rents.

Higher rents = Higher business rates (i'm still wondering what service my business gets from the council for £7.5k per year...)

Economy receeding = rent still high and rates still high. They desperately need adjusting down to encourage business.

We're being charged the same as when times were good in the wider economy. I used to rent an office half the size of this one and paid £80 rates per month because of the low rateable value of the office and I qualified for small business rates releif - We had to move as we outgrew the space but now we pay £750 per month for business rates and don't qualify for small business rate relief because of the rateable value of the new office.

When it was icy and snowy last year our council told us not to clear the pavement in front of the house to help the pedestrians in case someone slipped and tried to sue....has the country gone mad?

What difference would it make. If they wanted to do either I'd object any way (as most people would) regardless of what I put in my bin.

The point is that the more people participate in recycling schemes the less need for landfills and incinerators.

I think that you are all approaching this from the wrong point of view. You seem to think that the 'Council' is there to provide services for its customers ie. the electorate and the ratepayers. WRONG you are there to fund the Council workers and therefore create jobs. Its all part of the master-plan.

My rubbish goes in whichever bin is emptied next. If they are awkward and dont take a bin then the other gets filled and taken the next week.

I have refused to pay the £40 charge to have my brown bin (garden waste) emptied for the last 2 years. I put it out and they take it. Any time they feel like not taking away my grass cuttings to make compost with and sell then that is fine by me.

The day they apply charges for waste by weight is the day that I shall buy an incinerator bin from B&Q.

I dont buy any of their BS. Much of the rubbish that is not sent to China to be incinerated is treated the same as it always was anyway.

My rubbish goes in whichever bin is emptied next. If they are awkward and dont take a bin then the other gets filled and taken the next week.

I have refused to pay the £40 charge to have my brown bin (garden waste) emptied for the last 2 years. I put it out and they take it. Any time they feel like not taking away my grass cuttings to make compost with and sell then that is fine by me.

The day they apply charges for waste by weight is the day that I shall buy an incinerator bin from B&Q.

I dont buy any of their BS. Much of the rubbish that is not sent to China to be incinerated is treated the same as it always was anyway.

Oh well - all that contaminant just means the Council have to dump otherwise recyclable materials. Add to that the penalties for not achieving recycling targets, land fill costs........

Not to worry, your council can just put the costs on your council tax bill - or redirect from other areas like meals on wheels or road repairs <_<

Unfortunately there are a small minority of complete assholes who deliberately contaminate recyclable collection streams rendering them unrecyclable hence the frequent diversion of loads from the recycling centre to the landfill <_<

Unfortunately there are a small minority of complete assholes who deliberately contaminate recyclable collection streams rendering them unrecyclable hence the frequent diversion of loads from the recycling centre to the landfill <_<

Like these guys?

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/S-RUBBISH/article-2322633-detail/article.html

or do you mean all of the other councils doing it?

maybe it doesnt really matter since most of it is sent off to china for them to incinerate.

Wise up, you are too old to swallow all this crap from the state. You aint gonna save the planet by being a bin nazi and they have no real interest in it either.

our bins are collected on a Friday, but where there has been a bank holiday in the week they push the collections to the next day meaning they collect on a Saturday. every year we get a calander to tell us which days they will collect what bin, including the different day like this.

on the last bank holiday week i was not working, i know the bin men was supposed ot come on the saturday, so i didnt bother getting up early to put the bins out (that week was for both our main waste and recycling bins)

at about 12 noon, i hear what sounded like a bin lorry driving up our road, and once i looked out the window it was there, i went outside and asked them about it as as it was good weather they didint want ot work saturday, but they wasnt prepared to get the bins from peoples property.

luckliy for me, i managed ot push my bins out whilst he was stood there and they agreed to take them, but 90% of my road/areas didnt have a collection that week

Like these guys?

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/S-RUBBISH/article-2322633-detail/article.html

or do you mean all of the other councils doing it?

maybe it doesnt really matter since most of it is sent off to china for them to incinerate.

Wise up, you are too old to swallow all this crap from the state. You aint gonna save the planet by being a bin nazi and they have no real interest in it either.

The article proves my point - the green bins were so heavily contaminated with non recyclable waste it had rendered the material unrecyclable.

By conincidence is that where you happen to live?

Oh well - all that contaminant just means the Council have to dump otherwise recyclable materials. Add to that the penalties for not achieving recycling targets, land fill costs........

Not to worry, your council can just put the costs on your council tax bill - or redirect from other areas like meals on wheels or road repairs <_<

so their recycling system does not separate waste into various categories? Not that I care. If they cant separate what they want from what they dont then I couldnt give a rats a55 either way.

The article proves my point - the green bins were so heavily contaminated with non recyclable waste it had rendered the material unrecyclable.

By conincidence is that where you happen to live?

and you believe that?

Drone :rolleyes: