House Price Crash Forum

House Price Comparisons.

HOLA441

A colleague has been recently looking at a relocation to France, he has been showing me some of the more choice places he has been looking at and I thought I would look at what I could get for a similar amount in the UK, North London ( I choose this because it's where I live, obviously regions will vary):

So lets have a look shall we:

58325_DOM1203_IMG_14_0000_max_620x414.jpg

House #1 - 4 bedroom detached house,country house recently renovated set in 2,000m2 (0.49 acres) of landscaped gardens. 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, garage. Central heating. Beautiful setting - Price €199,500

58120_WNKPAL007586_IMG_00_0000.jpg

Uk Comparison in North London:

House 2 - 1 Bedroom Flat, A well presented split level one bedroom apartment arranged situated on the top floor (2nd) of this Edwardian conversion in the heart of Palmers Green. The accommodation comprises a 13’9 reception room, fitted kitchen/breakfast room, 14’ double bedroom and tiled bathroom. Further benefits include a private section of rear garden, double glazing throughout and access to loft storage. - Price £169,950

Pretty shocking "value" in the Uk still I think we can agree? :blink:

HOLA442

A colleague has been recently looking at a relocation to France, he has been showing me some of the more choice places he has been looking at and I thought I would look at what I could get for a similar amount in the UK, North London ( I choose this because it's where I live, obviously regions will vary):

House #1 - 4 bedroom detached house,country house recently renovated set in 2,000m2 (0.49 acres) of landscaped gardens. 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, garage. Central heating. Beautiful setting - Price €199,500

House 2 - 1 Bedroom Flat, A well presented split level one bedroom apartment arranged situated on the top floor (2nd) of this Edwardian conversion in the heart of Palmers Green. The accommodation comprises a 13’9 reception room, fitted kitchen/breakfast room, 14’ double bedroom and tiled bathroom. Further benefits include a private section of rear garden, double glazing throughout and access to loft storage. - Price £169,950

I think we can agree UK prices are expensive but at the same time we can also agree that you have made a hopeless attempt at trying to compare "value" between French and British markets by choosing two such very different areas and home styles.

Comparissons of value between markets is very difficult to achieve, and probably is best restricted to some kind of like for like eg s*****iest area of paris vs s*****iest area of london vs average income for residents of those particular areas expressed as a multiple.... as it's so veyr difficult to do , it's rarely done..... however that's no excuse for trying to read anything useful into your own effort.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Maybe "Relative cost of a lifestyle" would have been a better choice of topic.

According to a comparisson made by the Economist (moneyweek 29 october), France is overvalued by 42%, whilst Britain is overvalued by 32%. That was based on market rents, tho how "market" the rents were (as opposed to supported by HB) I don't know. Other factors would push the stats all over the shop. Even that comparisson was far from perfect. The one performed by the OP is just a fail. Sorry.

HOLA445

Well, I could buy a very nice 4 bed house with a big garden near where my brother has his French home for maybe £120K,

but funnily enough there are no jobs nearby, there is zero public transport, his (French) neighbours are struggling/being laid off, and a lot of shops in the small-town high street a mile away are closing.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Thanks for being kind here, I do appreciate this is a shotgun approach, and is in no way accurate or offers an indepth analysis of like for like, I think the point has been understood by some of you though! :P It was merely a rather crappy attempt at an example of "perceived value", or a bang for your buck type offering for a Friday lark! ;)

HOLA449

Cheap rural houses in France are exceedingly rural. They are miles from any facilities and any jobs.

Other than some isolated parts of Scotland there really is no comparison with anywhere in the UK, so you are comparing apples and oranges

tim