House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Yahoos Freaking Out Over 20% Layoff Rumors

http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/11/yahoos-freaking-out-over-20-layoff-rumors/

Update: Yahoo says via a statement that we’re being “misleading and inaccurate.” “Yahoo! is always evaluating expenses to align with the company’s financial goals. However, a 20% reduction in Yahoo’s workforce across the board is misleading and inaccurate.” I’m sticking by this story based on our sources, and all have confirmed that managers are being asked to target 20%. Perhaps they’re finding wiggle room in the total percentage, or what employee groups are affected (U.S. v. international, etc.) Also, given how widespread this information is within Yahoo’s ranks, I don’t see the point of denying the plans.

Cisco shares dropped today the biggest single day percentage drop in 16 years after Chambers admitted yesterday they were seeing slowing sales. In the past year Cisco s insiders have sold off huge volumes of shares.

The NASDAQ is now close to the 2007 high it reached after the dot.con collapse circa 2000/01 so there appears to be a coming together now of negative news from some of the tech bell-weathers combined with a NASDAQ near-high.

Interesting times.

http://techcrunch.co...-layoff-rumors/

Cisco shares dropped today the biggest single day percentage drop in 16 years after Chambers admitted yesterday they were seeing slowing sales. In the past year Cisco s insiders have sold off huge volumes of shares.

The NASDAQ is now close to the 2007 high it reached after the dot.con collapse circa 2000/01 so there appears to be a coming together now of negative news from some of the tech bell-weathers combined with a NASDAQ near-high.

Interesting times.

The thing with Cisco is that yes they make nice kit, but some of the stuff they do can be done more cheaply on a server running an appropriate application.

I'm thinking things like firewall, load balancing, transcoding etc.  I guess they keep selling at the high end, but if you are a small business, you could just build the stuff yourself with either MS or opensource apps in a lot of the cases. 

The Cisco news is very interesting. Tech tends to lead, like it came into 2010 with some big quarters even when the rest of the economy was still down.

And Cisco tends to lead tech. Actually Cisco tends to lead the entire stock market. But this time I am not so sure, things still look good elsewhere in tech.

The thing with Cisco is that yes they make nice kit, but some of the stuff they do can be done more cheaply on a server running an appropriate application.

I'm thinking things like firewall, load balancing, transcoding etc. I guess they keep selling at the high end, but if you are a small business, you could just build the stuff yourself with either MS or opensource apps in a lot of the cases.

I would argue that server TCO are higher than a plug and play device .....

E.g. IBM is trying to move from server to device as well... check for DataPower

I never understood what yahoo did .. I always thought they were a search engine .. and then they out sourced their search to google .. which was a bit odd ... But I don't know what it does for money now ..