House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
right_freds_dead

Recession Proof Jobs And Businesses

Hi fred,

I'd think, Police, Fire Brigade (though they are trying to cut fire cover accross the country, I vove labour), Teaching, any of the 'essential' sevices maybe healthcare.

Or debt collection maybe?

Online poker's quite recession proof, and tax free as well. In fact most betting activities are pretty recession proof since people try to top up their pay with a win :)

im trying to think of good things to get in to during a recession. i cant think of any aside from growing weed, pimping or a mobile vhs library from the back of an estate car.

any ideas ?

I'm sure I heard once that manufacturers of alcoholic drinks and chocolate always do well in a recession - sales of these products are supposed to increase dramatically. :huh:

(Or that might be a load of rubbish) :)

midwife or funeral director...the only things certain in life

I thought it was death and taxes? I suppose birth death and taxes is equally as true?

I suggest benifit cheat, they seem to do well, esspecially with a few identities, also you can top your income up on the black economy without paying tax! (I'm not bitter :angry: )

I'm moderately optimistic about the future security of my job - exploration geophysicist in the oil industry.

Depends if the recession is severe enough to drop world oil demand far enough to take us back to sub-$30 crude.

I'm quite safe, pharmaceutical software, very industry specific, it requires 2 advanced skill sets that you cant just learn in under a couple of years. Whatsmore the company has secured its revenue stream for the next 5 years and everybody needs drugs. .

When there is high unemployment on thing governments tend to do is delay entry into the labour market and speed up exit from the labour market.

Remeber YOP and YTS...this was followed by removing benefit entitlement for 16-18year olds on the grounds that there was a place on a training programme available for everyone of that age. This reduces unemployment figures but also gives the appearance of reducing unemployment benefit.

Given the recent trend to increase higher/further education participation to 50% and the reintroduction of apprectice training for the younger age group then it would not surprise me if benefits were reduced for those up to the age of 21 years during a recession and training was made compulsory for the unemployed in this age group.

I would be looking to get a job in further/higher education and training...that is if you can stand teaching moody kids things they don't want to learn in a college they don't want to be at <_<

Guest Guy_Montag
I'm moderately optimistic about the future security of my job - exploration geophysicist in the oil industry.

Depends if the recession is severe enough to drop world oil demand far enough to take us back to sub-$30 crude.

Heh, that makes two of us, well sort of.