House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NatalieJUK

Fallowfield Or Rusholme?

I thought this was a lot of house for the money - needs massive modernisation, I'm not a real fan of crazy-paved fireplaces, but I really like it in terms of structure... http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28445518.html

But web info on Rusholme not good...but this particular house has re-emerged as a new listing in the last 24 hours but appears to have relocated to Fallowfield. Is it on castors?

And does this make a huge difference?!

Also, given what I've heard (often on here!) re areas, why is this house in Salford so expensive? http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28445176.html (OK it's pretty big, and this is probably a stupid question, but as an outsider this whole market is massively confusing...)

Obv I'm aware sellers nationwide are still chancing it a bit like...

Edited by NatalieJUK

Out of Fallowfield and Rusholme, then it's got to be Fallowfield. It gets progressively nicer as you move out though; have you looked round Withington?

I think they're taking the mick with that Bury New Road one.

I take it you're moving into Manc from elsewhere? If you're just looking anywhere and everywhere, then Worsley could be worth a look. Generally of course, the further out you go, the better. Would you live as far out as the Northern fringes of Bolton or Bury?

Out of Fallowfield and Rusholme, then it's got to be Fallowfield. It gets progressively nicer as you move out though; have you looked round Withington?

I think they're taking the mick with that Bury New Road one.

I take it you're moving into Manc from elsewhere? If you're just looking anywhere and everywhere, then Worsley could be worth a look. Generally of course, the further out you go, the better. Would you live as far out as the Northern fringes of Bolton or Bury?

Ah thanks. Yeah - though originally from Cumbria (I know...). Have no definite requirements, except work will be in Salford, and I'd prefer big garden and somewhere to put car. I think that, perhaps cos I've lived in London for 12 years, that I want a big house.

I've heard (partly on here) that Worsley is a bit of a motorway black spot though. I also think that Bolton and Bury might make the commute that bit too long (though if I loved a house I'd be flexible - my current London commute is 45 mins, but one of the attractions of Manchester is cutting that right down).

Is that house in Rusholme or Fallowfield though? The tinkers have changed it around!

I'm from Cumbria too - we're not all that bad are we? The M60 is a hell hole at rush hour but you'd just be travelling into Salford on A roads from Worsley. Have a look at Ringley Road on the edge of Whitefield too - there are some lovely houses there. Maybe Harwood on the eastern fringe of Bolton. Also in Salford itself there are some (not many) nice areas. Have a look around Radcliffe Park Road and Swinton Park Road.

I'm from Cumbria too - we're not all that bad are we? The M60 is a hell hole at rush hour but you'd just be travelling into Salford on A roads from Worsley. Have a look at Ringley Road on the edge of Whitefield too - there are some lovely houses there. Maybe Harwood on the eastern fringe of Bolton. Also in Salford itself there are some (not many) nice areas. Have a look around Radcliffe Park Road and Swinton Park Road.

Not sure if you were asking or not but that house is what I would consider Rusholme.

Not the best area, as Dickenson Rd goes down towards Longsight which isn't the greatest after dark, some friends of mine who lived there were robbed in their own home at gunpoint down there. On the other side of Wilsmlow Rd, past Platt Fields Park it gets closer to Moss Side which is equally unappealing and I also have friends that have been mugged on Platt Lane.

Going down into Fallowfield does get a bit better but unless you are on a main road with traffic it can also be a bit dodgy at night...I even had a friend who was pistol whipped on his way to a party in Withington and had his cheek broken. Not to put you off because it is a really fun place with a lot of nice people but 7 years or so ago when I lived there it always seemed a little bit more dangerous than I felt comfortable with. Might have changed a bit, but I wouldn't know because I haven't been there in a few years.

After living in Rusholme/ Mosside for a while and having a load of problems I moved to West Didsbury for the remainder of my time in Manchester and along with Chorlton it is the only place I would consider living in the south of the city really. For the same price as the house you listed though, you will get a 3 bed terrace and not much more. I have heard that Sale isn't too bad either.

As far as north of the city centre goes I have absolutely no idea.

Edited by pepto

The rusholme\fallowfield one is in the border area between the two so I suppose it is fair enough. It's closer to the curry mile (rusholme) than studentville (fallowfield). I don't think proximity to Longsight is a big deal, but that's just my take on it. Transport to city centre is good, transport to anywhere else is crap.

Its seems somewhat substantial for the price? Something to keep an eye on is what's been done to the equivalent properties in that street, have they been chopped into flats?

You do make me laugh, you are looking to spend an awful lot of money in what are frankly not very good areas. Since 1997 I've spent 3 years in Rusholme, 1 yr Fallowfield, 1 yr Victoria Park and 6+ yrs in Hulme so I'm not averse to slumming it. I wouldn't be overly concerned with living (renting that is) in this area other than taking the usual precautions and not be surprised if anything did happen (burgled once in Rusholme in 2000). I realise that coming from London these might be like a holiday camp in comparison.

But at the same people don't pay huge amounts in Manchester in these areas. Even if you turned that into a HMO, I bet the street is full of them, would you be able to stack up the numbers for that valuation? People can say all they like about pricings not falling in the good areas but I don't think there's many who would disagree that if prices fell, these areas will see lots of it. Do you want to be left holding the baby? Do you feel lucky?

You do make me laugh, you are looking to spend an awful lot of money in what are frankly not very good areas. Since 1997 I've spent 3 years in Rusholme, 1 yr Fallowfield, 1 yr Victoria Park and 6+ yrs in Hulme so I'm not averse to slumming it. I wouldn't be overly concerned with living (renting that is) in this area other than taking the usual precautions and not be surprised if anything did happen (burgled once in Rusholme in 2000). I realise that coming from London these might be like a holiday camp in comparison.

But at the same people don't pay huge amounts in Manchester in these areas. Even if you turned that into a HMO, I bet the street is full of them, would you be able to stack up the numbers for that valuation? People can say all they like about pricings not falling in the good areas but I don't think there's many who would disagree that if prices fell, these areas will see lots of it. Do you want to be left holding the baby? Do you feel lucky?

Er...no, I don't, not at all, which is why I'm asking so many questions. I might seem gormless to you, you know the areas well! I had absolutely no idea, but thanks to everyone's responses I'm getting a much clearer picture.

Well, personally I would call that Rusholme although I understand that officially it could be Fallowfield. In fact much of what I would have called Moss Side was always technically Fallowfield as the "official"/council borders seemed to go up to what used to be MAine Road. Now houses, obviously. If you wandered round in the day or at night, I'm sure you find it to have a certain 'edge'.

I think the trouble you'll find is that Manchester is a small place really and even the nice places are very close to the bad ones and some of the bad ones are surprisigly expensive. Someone will always chip in with negative comments. You could perhaps argue that the bad places in London, at least have their London connection, unlike Manchester which is just a large provincial city. If you are keen to get a decent house rather than location, I would suggest you look more for an anonymous area a little further out instead. Although if you are anything like my wife, you'll want to be near the centre of things and that costs, really costs.

Edited by daiking

By the way NatalieJUK, have you looked at the maps for the Metro extensions? Could be worth taking into account, especially dahn sarf Manchester.

Link

I'd say that's Fallowfield not Rusholme although it's on the border even if it technically is Rusholme. When I think of Rusholme I think of the rows of terraced houses behind the curry mile and it's not one of those. I lived two streets down from there when I was a student and I thought it was Fallowfield then.

I left Manchester 5 years ago now and it was a bugger then to get to Salford from Fallowfield in the morning. Maybe things have improved but I doubt it.

Ah thanks. Yeah - though originally from Cumbria (I know...). Have no definite requirements, except work will be in Salford, and I'd prefer big garden and somewhere to put car. I think that, perhaps cos I've lived in London for 12 years, that I want a big house.

I've heard (partly on here) that Worsley is a bit of a motorway black spot though. I also think that Bolton and Bury might make the commute that bit too long (though if I loved a house I'd be flexible - my current London commute is 45 mins, but one of the attractions of Manchester is cutting that right down).

Is that house in Rusholme or Fallowfield though? The tinkers have changed it around!

If you want a really nice area you have to commute really. You mentioned Bury being possibly too far out but you will find its as quick getting into Manchester down the M66 as you would battling your way up the M56. I'll throw a few places out for you off the top of my head that I've looked over myself over the last couple of years that you can throw away if you wish but may give you a bit of help. Some are further out than others, all are regarded as pretty good to great areas depending on what you want ie schools, nightlife etc.

Knutsford, Holmes Chapel, Hale+surrounding area Altrincham & Timperley, Wilmslow, Ramsbottom/Summerseat, Alderly Edge, Sale, Bramhall, High Peak, Whalley/Clitheroe, Ribble Valey, Buxton, Stockton Heath.

Edit: Can't spell for toffee..

Have fun.

Edited by donkeykong

If you want a really nice area you have to commute really. You mentioned Bury being possibly too far out but you will find its as quick getting into Manchester down the M66 as you would battling your way up the M56. I'll throw a few places out for you off the top of my head that I've looked over myself over the last couple of years that you can throw away if you wish but may give you a bit of help. Some are further out than others, all are regarded as pretty good to great areas depending on what you want ie schools, nightlife etc.

Knutsford, Holmes Chapel, Hale+surrounding area Altrincham & Timperley, Wilmslow, Ramsbottom/Summerseat, Alderly Edge, Sale, Bramhall, High Peak, Whalley/Clitheroe, Ribble Valey, Buxton, Stockton Heath.

Edit: Can't spell for toffee..

Have fun.

Summerseat's lovely, but not the right place for someone who doesn't want to spend an age getting to and from work.

This was the middle of the day when they did Streetview. You want to see it at rush hour.

Nangreaves is nice too, but to be avoided for the same reason.

Summerseat's lovely, but not the right place for someone who doesn't want to spend an age getting to and from work.

This was the middle of the day when they did Streetview. You want to see it at rush hour.

Nangreaves is nice too, but to be avoided for the same reason.

The turning down into Summerseat is pretty bad at non peak times really, It was busy at non peak the other week when we went looking for the waterside but you can go down to Ramsbottom and cut back on yourself or go through Bury and by the time I've sat in traffic down the m56 I'd be in Ramsbottom hehe. Anyway, didn't want to distract the thread as its about Rusholme and Fallowfield which I'm clueless about so I'll shutup :)

Edited by donkeykong

I'm just begun kicking through a few areas on a general search; not making any conclusions or anything, yet.

From £117,000 down to Offers in excess £110,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48210037.html

Sale Date: 06 Mar 2009. Price Paid: £113,750
Sale Date: 09 Jan 2004 Price Paid: £78,000
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=48210037&sale=21403235&country=england

If you're looking to spend that amount of money on a house in Fallowfield then why not look at areas like Whalley Range or Firswood or even Old Trafford/Stretford as all are much closer to Salford and you would be able to get a house with a decent sized garden.