House Price Crash Forum
mutron

Silver Noob Need Some Advice

i see quite a difference between silver coins and bullion, why would this be?. which would be the best choice for investment

also....where do you go to sell your silver back whne your finished with it ,do you simply mail it off to a dealer?

ive been looking at http://www.coininvestdirect.com/ but i have trouble getting thier site to load just now...must be a lot of demand

You are paying for the production costs. Coins cost more to mint compared to casting a silver bar.

Also , some coins may contain an artistic value due to the craftsmanship of the engraved dies , which may not always , but can , be present in bullion bars .

It isn't all about the silver content (in my humble opinion) .

The main reason that coins cost more, is as Dead Spider says, due partly to the costs of production. There is a further element though, and that is that they carry a desirability premium; a person will normally buy a coin rather than a bar for the same price, unless the bar is highly decorative - in which case Dead Spiders' point comes again into play. You may also wish to know that coins carry a premium when resold to a dealer or on eBay. I would not sell to any high street jeweller unless they are prepared to match internet prices.

i see quite a difference between silver coins and bullion, why would this be?. which would be the best choice for investment

also....where do you go to sell your silver back whne your finished with it ,do you simply mail it off to a dealer?

ive been looking at http://www.coininvestdirect.com/ but i have trouble getting thier site to load just now...must be a lot of demand

I have used Coininvestdirect and can recommend them, Bairds aka goldline are good too but usually a little more expensive.

coins are technically only from government mints. If itlooks like a coin but is not from a government, its a "round" and is only bullion.

Good point . May not be what the OP was meaning though (or not , me no know) .

An example of what I mean .

These coins are made from "Solid Bronze" Whoop !

Yet the arty value for the 36 coin (bullion? :rolleyes: ) collection made £290.99 plus shipping at the end of October using BIN (was originally on for around £400 if memory serves) .

Ebay link

Both sides are engraved , showing 72 different scenes .

I wouldn't pay that much tbh .

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

post-4353-0-83772900-1289515298_thumb.jpg

post-4353-0-73789000-1289515313_thumb.jpg

post-4353-0-79420200-1289515320_thumb.jpg

For silver I wouldn't bother will coins or bullion.

If you trust "paper" silver then the cheapest way to buy and sell silver is through an ETF (ie a silver price tracking share) like PHAG which can be bought like any other share. No VAT to pay and buying and selling is cheap and at the press of a button.

Also , some coins may contain an artistic value due to the craftsmanship of the engraved dies , which may not always , but can , be present in bullion bars .

It isn't all about the silver content (in my humble opinion) .

I have a silver maple that has the maple leaf picked out in autumnal colours, and it has its own presentation case. I'd sell a 1 troy oz round, or a 'normal' maple for circa £20 - £26 on ebay, but the beautiful maple is a mini work of metallic art, and I wouldn't sell it for the silver scrap value.

If you're speculating in PM prices then generally stick to rounds and bars.

For silver I wouldn't bother will coins or bullion.

If you trust "paper" silver then the cheapest way to buy and sell silver is through an ETF (ie a silver price tracking share) like PHAG which can be bought like any other share. No VAT to pay and buying and selling is cheap and at the press of a button.

:o

Sine, you've been on this site too long..

ETF's equal PRINTY PRINTY bullion

If something big happens to the supply ETF's could become worthless..

MUST WATCH :ph34r:

i dont like the idea of etfs or any other form of finacial investment, if it all goes tits up all i would have is paper

so i want to buy physical silver as an insurance against this

i have about ten thousand sitting in a bank and i feel kinda uneasy about it even though its a decent honest bank (imho)

i put an order in with bairds last night and after i filled out the shipping details the price had changed i was a little shocked, also they say you have 2 days to get the money to them and they will hold the price, what is the best way to get the cash to them and what happens if you go over the 2 days and the price goes up?

edit to add

thanx

terrible manners me

Edited by mutron

i put an order in with bairds last night and after i filled out the shipping details the price had changed i was a little shocked, also they say you have 2 days to get the money to them and they will hold the price, what is the best way to get the cash to them and what happens if you go over the 2 days and the price goes up?

Try a direct bank transfer. The dealer should be able to give you their bank details and you credit that with the said amount. Ask your bank how to go about it. If you bank online, you can do it that way.

whens the best time to buy from bairds? the prices seem to be changing a lot but i want to get my paws on the shiney asap

when they are cheaper than coininvest :lol: not very often as it goes.

coininvest work on spot prices but bairds work on london fix. You can use that to your advantage a little but only if watching spot.

I like silver but not vat. Any reason you dont want to just buy sovs?

when they are cheaper than coininvest :lol: not very often as it goes.

coininvest work on spot prices but bairds work on london fix. You can use that to your advantage a little but only if watching spot.

I like silver but not vat. Any reason you dont want to just buy sovs?

i thought gold was more of a risk as it seems to be in a bubble.....would i be wrong?.. should i buy gold sovs?

..... and in the Ebay market stakes we currently have ....

richyc in the lead with 4200 (the price at the moment ) ,

followed by newbonic at 4500 ,

who is closely following by DS at 4600

and trailing at the moment , but gaining fast , is kilham at 5000+ .