House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

M&s, Next Pull Out Of Newport Town Centre

Wales is a one city country - all the money has been pumped into Cardiff with the rest of Wales suffering. Those passport job cuts a few weeks ago appear to have had a knock-on affect on the decisions of the big retailers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11733408

Traders in Newport are to attend a meeting to raise concerns over the future of the city's economy.

It comes after three major high street chains announced they would be pulling out of the city in the next few months.

There are also worries over empty shops and the effect of cutting 250 jobs at the passport office.

The meeting takes place on the same day £7.6m of investment has been announced for the regeneration of Butetown in Cardiff.

Marks and Spencer and Next recently indicated they will be quitting their Newport city centre shops.

Wales is a one city country - all the money has been pumped into Cardiff with the rest of Wales suffering. Those passport job cuts a few weeks ago appear to have had a knock-on affect on the decisions of the big retailers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-11733408

Every cloud has a silver lining. The end of monotonous monolithic retailing is a good thing.

Maybe some local businesses will be able to offer a better service and retain the proceeds in the local community.

This could be the business model for Next, M&S and all the other monoliths - extinction.

Business rates, parking charges etc.. have reached a level too high, even the big boys are not playing.

Good, let the council figure out they are the problem, not the solution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11733408

Yep, saw it on Wales tonight earlier. Newport City Centre is the biggest hole in the whole of the region. Parking is around £1.20 an hour and then you have to dodge the pigeon faeces and begging smackheads. If you have the misfortune of having to walk through the centre you'll be dodging the chavs and unemployed. The bus station is like the last pick up point from hell.

If you have to drive out to the different areas you'll wish you hadn't. You find most of the areas are in a complete state of decline with boarded up homes and shops.

The immigrant population is way out of control, which manifests itself by the sheer amount immigrant men of working age walking around aimlessly you see throughout the day.

As for the Ryder cup, that would be around £40 million spent of public money and not a bean of 'legacy' for any of the residents.

It's been in decline since the 70's but according to the LA the great white hope is a shiny new shopping centre. It is not! The money that will be spent should be ploughed into business development, but alas the City council is about as incompetent as it gets.

see

Shit newport

******** to the Ryder Cup

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-11733408

I thought people from Swansea thought Cardiff was essentially in England.

Every cloud has a silver lining. The end of monotonous monolithic retailing is a good thing.
Yes - bring back the old fashioned high street with its "independent" shops: Boots, Woolworth's, Timothy Whites, Dewhurst, Stead & Simpson, MacFisheries, W.H. Smith etc. etc. :lol::lol: A touch of rose-tinted spectacles? Supermarkets are much better, that's why we all use them. Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

M&S always close their smaller outlets and outlets in remoter places when the economy collapses. Always. Something to do with their stuff being overpriced relative to the competition which has product as good as or at least not that far short of M&S stuff and overtaking.

Sometimes cheaper by an order of magnitude and the name just isn't enough in hard times.

Any area/town relying on their outlets should realise that more than usual they are just fair weather friends - at least in the economic sense.

Edited by billybong

M&S always close their smaller outlets and outlets in remoter places when the economy collapses. Always. Something to do with their stuff being overpriced relative to the competition which has product as good as or at least not that far short of M&S stuff and overtaking.

Sometimes cheaper by an order of magnitude and the name just isn't enough in hard times.

Any area/town relying on their outlets should realise that more than usual they are just fair weather friends - at least in the economic sense.

In previous recessions M&S wouldn't really have expanded to small stores and out of the city and large town centres. They cut back city-centre floor space there'd expanded into and struggled to fill around the time of the dot-com crash but it would be fairly unusual for M&S to close traditional city centre stores. People have traditionally reverted to quality and well trusted brands in recessions (obviously a bit debateable whether M&S still represents this) or to the real bottom end, with those left in the middle struggling without strong brand identity or rock bottom pricing.

Dead limb stores aren't too easy to get rid of unless it's freehold, the lease expires or there's a decent covenant assignee it just as well to leave it trading.

_________

I pulled out of Newport over ten years ago and wouldn't consider going back - shoplifting on a scale you'd struggle to match outside Merseyside or Glasgow are just the start of the problems.

I have been to the Celtic Manor for corporate event type things many times. I suppose it probably does provide some jobs for the locals (or more likely Eastern European immigrants) but, unfortunately I don't think much of the money spent/visting there seeps out into the local economy.

In previous recessions M&S wouldn't really have expanded to small stores and out of the city and large town centres.

I'm talking about the 90s recession and that's what they'd done in boom time (expanded to small and remote stores) and that's what they cut back on then.

I'm not referring to small recessions like the dotcom time.

Dead limb stores were just left empty for ages with "to let" signs. Most people were buying from the cheaper outlets.

M&S never went back to those locations. Locations that eventually ended up occupied by discount/pound stores for years on end afterwards.

Edited by billybong

I'm talking about the 90s recession and that's what they'd done in boom time (expanded to small and remote stores) and that's what they cut back on then.

I'm not referring to small recessions like the dotcom time.

Dead limb stores were just left empty for ages with "to let" signs. Most people were buying from the cheaper outlets.

M&S never went back to those locations.

In the peak before the nineties recession M&S had already gone into the out of town model with huge footprint stores like Fosse Park and large anchor stores in new set piece developments. The branches in large provincial towns had been opened, by and large, earlier than this, I don't have any recollection of overly widespread store closures above the general churn and restructuring everyone has, I have to say.

The big clothing sufferers that axed branches large scale/disappeared in that recession were the likes of Hepworths/Next, Fosters, Freeman Hardy Willis, Richards who were caught in no man's land of neither strong brand or value proposition. M&S fared pretty well in comparision.

Newport is a city centre and I would say for M&S to no longer want representation in a city centre is pretty rare.

In the peak before the nineties recession M&S had already gone into the out of town model with huge footprint stores like Fosse Park and large anchor stores in new set piece developments. The branches in large provincial towns had been opened, by and large, earlier than this, I don't have any recollection of overly widespread store closures above the general churn and restructuring everyone has, I have to say.

The big clothing sufferers that axed branches large scale/disappeared in that recession were the likes of Hepworths/Next, Fosters, Freeman Hardy Willis, Richards who were caught in no man's land of neither strong brand or value proposition. M&S fared pretty well in comparision.

Newport is a city centre and I would say for M&S to no longer want representation in a city centre is pretty rare.

M&S really expanded into the bigger stuff after the 90s recession - not much before and certainly not much if any during. I'm not saying the cuts were overly (unless you were a small outlet) but is was noticeable amongst smaller and remote stores.

I'm not saying they didn't want to keep representation in city centres. I was specifically referring to smaller outlets and remoter outlets that they cut as soon as the recession started and they've done it again this time.

Yes - bring back the old fashioned high street with its "independent" shops: Boots, Woolworth's, Timothy Whites, Dewhurst, Stead & Simpson, MacFisheries, W.H. Smith etc. etc. :lol::lol: A touch of rose-tinted spectacles? Supermarkets are much better, that's why we all use them.

Horsesh*t , suprmarkets are a rip off they sell sh*t food and rip you off you are a muppet for using them.

Their business model will never survive the next decade.

I come from a family of indepenedent retailers. In my market town half shops were independent family businesses..

Maybe you are a bit too young and foolish to remember.

You stick to your grotty supermarkets I shall stick to local fresh produce.

No rose tinted specs here just a better memory than you..

Oh, I don't know. Went to Prague for a wedding in the summer, realized on arrival that I'd forgotten to pack any knickers, hardly any time to shop. Hallelujah for an M&S in Wenceslas Square - in and out in 10 mins, sorted. :)

I just moved from Newport back to Cardiff, so glad I did.

I could have bough an enormous house for the price of the one I bought in Cardiff ( newport has some great houses ).

We couldn't face the depressing town centre, with no where for families to go , its run down feel, the lack of investment, bad parks and leisure facilities, the list goes on...

Newport council has to be corrupt and stupid.

Millions where spent on "improving" a money way junction, adding a new junction to a dual carriageway and a new train platform to the train station.... all for the 3 day Ryder cup.

Oh yeh they built a massive car park in the town centre, for a new shopping centre...that never got built!

What the F***!

Edited by cardiffone

Oh, I don't know. Went to Prague for a wedding in the summer, realized on arrival that I'd forgotten to pack any knickers, hardly any time to shop. Hallelujah for an M&S in Wenceslas Square - in and out in 10 mins, sorted. :)

Ah the great British tourist - total lack of imagination.

Was it fish and chips for tea and a few pints in an Irish pub before jumping back on the plane?

Sounds like a cultural delight.