House Price Crash Forum
copydude

It's All Over For The White Cliffs Of Dover

Government To Sell Off Our Bluebirds To Frogs

Dame Vera Lynn (93) Sings To Save Dover

LYNN-DAME-VERA-DOVER-kent-news-305_qW18.jpg

Link

Forces Sweetheart Dame Vera Lynn was in Dover on Saturday (October 30) to support the campaign to stop Britain’s busiest port from being handed to the French.

She was there to spearhead the fight to stop the Port of Dover from being sold to foreign interests. Instead she wants to see power given to the people of the town.

The town’s MP, Charlie Elphicke, is presenting a plan to Prime Minister David Cameron this week that would allow residents to own part of the port. He is ready to hand the Prime Minister a £400 million cheque backed by City institutions and the ferry companies.

Dame Vera, 93, braved the wind to put across the message. She said: “At least we have blue skies, but I’m desperately looking for a blue bird. It is a symbol of happiness and you should continue to call this beautiful place your own.

“It should continue to be your own. Good luck to you all in ensuring it stays that way.”

Maybe I'm out of the loop, since these plans appear to be well advanced. But when I saw it on the front of the Mail, I thought it was a spoof. I checked the date to see if it was April 1st. Err, no, it's for real.

Then I remembered that the high-speed Channel Link was sold to the Canadians just the other day, which prompted this response.

Link

“The most modern section of the UK rail network has been sold off for a song in what amounts to nothing more than a fire sale of the family silver to prop up the financial deficit caused by the bankers and speculators in the first place.

“The Government will live to regret the flogging off of this vital connection to mainland Europe at a knock down price. They have learnt nothing from the catastrophic failure of rail privatisation and the ConDems are simply reverting back to old-school, Thatcherite ideology.

"Even worse, the sale of High Speed 1 could pave the way for the busting up and selling off of Network Rail in a lethal re-run of the Railtrack disaster.

Yes, talk about selling the family silver.

They're not hanging about these Coalition types, are they?

Google 'sell off' and all kinds of things pop-up. Like the New Forest. The list just goes on and on.

Link

CAMPAIGNERS say they believe the New Forest is set to escape plans to sell a massive amount of Forestry Commission land.

About half the 1.85m acres of woodland nationally is set to be privatised to raise cash for the Treasury as the Governmment battles Britain’s record deficit of £156bn.

The move has sparked fears that Center Parcs and golf courses could be built on treasured sites across the country.

Government officials have refused to rule out the possibility of the New Forest being included in the massive sell-off.

Hmmmmmm. At this rate, there won't be much collateral left to support those dodgy UK Government bonds, will there?

The only way you'll get bluebirds over the white cliffs of dover is in a cargo plane.

Oh come on. Cargo planes are full of printer ink cartridges. I thought everybody knew that.

We should sell off the motorways so private companies can put tolls and speed cameras on them.

Other ideas:

Pavements

Rivers

Beaches

Parks

Libraries

Forests

Airspace

etc.

We should sell off the motorways so private companies can put tolls and speed cameras on them.

Other ideas:

Pavements

Rivers

Beaches

Parks

Libraries

Forests

Airspace

etc.

Alternatively, we could just flog our kids' future prosperity.... what's that? We already have, oh.... :ph34r:

Other ideas:

Pavements

Rivers

Beaches

Parks

Libraries

Forests

Airspace

etc.

Add to that:

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the Red Arrows

Sell the 'Crown' to Rupert Murdoch, so that the Queen would become his employee.

Salisbury Plain

Regarding airspace, it's not the government's to sell. If you are a freeholder, you own the airspace / space for an infinite distance above your property although you have few rights over it.

Edited by blankster

The only way you'll get bluebirds over the white cliffs of dover is in a cargo plane.

They are native to America.

Yes, you might as well say "there'll be duck-billed platypuses over the white cliffs of Dover"

I would also point out that they aren't white.

Oh come on. Cargo planes are full of printer ink cartridges. I thought everybody knew that.

Don't mention ink cartridges. MI5/NI6/NSA must be watching us now...

Has the bloke with the body scanner shown up at your front door yet? :ph34r:

Other ideas:

Pavements

Rivers

Beaches

Parks

Libraries

Forests

Airspace

Airspace isn't viable as IIRC international law prevents charging for overflight.

Many beaches are private, although international maritime law gives global right of access/use up to the high water mark.

They've already suggested selling off forests and motorways. Parks would be a no-brainer for councils desperate for cash, especially it they grant planning consent with it, and Libraries coud be sold under the existing PFI sell and rent-back scheme.

Pavements would be interesting.

I would not be supprised to see the government sell taxation rights... the right to Levy a 1% tax on income for example. I imagine 1% income tax in perpetuity would be very valuable and bring in a lot of short term funds.

Have any of you seen the Port of Dover? What a dump! People can get all misty-eyed about the 'Gateway to Britain' but in reality it's a motley assortment of 1970s prefabs adjoining a shabby, seedy town. I read that £85m needs to be invested in the Eastern Docks and £250m is needed to build a new terminal. As usual the 'family silver' is nothing more than threadbare asset that has suffered under public ownership from decades of neglect and under-investment. We can talk about the potential of the Port of Dover but clearly the public sector is woefully incapable of realising that potential. Sell it to a French company if needs be. We should welcome their capital and their expertise rather than indulging in Vera Lynn 'Peoples Port' rubbish.

Have any of you seen the Port of Dover? What a dump! Sell it to a French company if needs be. We should welcome their capital and their expertise rather than indulging in Vera Lynn 'Peoples Port' rubbish.

You think Calais is any less scruffy? You zink our new Port - maitres will be landscaping in pretty pavement cafes and picturesque boulangeries?

Remind me what happened when we gave away all the Post Office business to the banks. Mark my words, Eastern Docks Terminal will be shunted into the back of a newsagents or dry-cleaners.

All this privatisation is a fast buck now but years of revenue lost to the taxpayers.

This is Kent 5/11/10

There are no plans by the Port of Calais to purchase the Port of Dover !

Must be those Canadians again!

Have any of you seen the Port of Dover? What a dump! People can get all misty-eyed about the 'Gateway to Britain' but in reality it's a motley assortment of 1970s prefabs adjoining a shabby, seedy town. I read that £85m needs to be invested in the Eastern Docks and £250m is needed to build a new terminal. As usual the 'family silver' is nothing more than threadbare asset that has suffered under public ownership from decades of neglect and under-investment. We can talk about the potential of the Port of Dover but clearly the public sector is woefully incapable of realising that potential. Sell it to a French company if needs be. We should welcome their capital and their expertise rather than indulging in Vera Lynn 'Peoples Port' rubbish.

You think Dover is bad? You want to see Newhaven harbour, and that is already owned by the French.

You think Dover is bad? You want to see Newhaven harbour, and that is already owned by the French.

Oh well, Calais belonged to England for over 240 years, from 1347 to 1588, and even had a member of parliament at Westminster. So perhaps we can't really complain! Many Calais residents are descended from English settlers although a surprising number of them can't even speak English, just like a lot of people in Dover can't speak French. Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

But it is wonderful with its marina lifestyle and its new flats and restaurants and hotels and marina. Oh yes, that's right I forgot the property developers went bust and the council are building an incinerator. The 600 thousand penthouse flat will have a nice view of the top of the chimney. :D:D (Its not owned by the French either)

But it is wonderful with its marina lifestyle and its new flats and restaurants and hotels and marina. Oh yes, that's right I forgot the property developers went bust and the council are building an incinerator. The 600 thousand penthouse flat will have a nice view of the top of the chimney. :D:D (Its not owned by the French either)

Zank you, non grenouille.

Eet ees wonderful to know that we can flip the terrible Newhaven for a privatised part of ze New Forest.

I zink wonderful that everything in England is, 'ow you say, up pour grabs

But this Vera Lynn woman is a nuisance. I 'ope you British 'as a David Kelly style solution for her. She also stands in ze way of good governance.

Dover might even get some decent food and wine and at reasonable prices. Big Mac and fries can only go so far.

Could become a popular holiday destination.

Vive la whatever.

Edited by billybong

Mr Elphicke said: “The White Cliffs of Dover are a British icon. You wouldn’t sell Stonehenge to foreigners or kick the Queen out of Buckingham Palace to build a five-star hotel.

He should have done more musing about la diversité and la diversification when in opposition.

Edited by billybong

EC President Herman van Rompuy has walked into a wall of criticism after calling Euroscepticism 'a lie' in a speech on Wednesday.

He told a German audience: "We have together to fight the danger of a new Euro-scepticism. This is not longer the monopoly of a few countries."

"In every member state, there are people who believe their country can survive alone in the globalised world. It is more than an illusion: it is a lie!

"Today’s nationalism is often not a positive feeling of pride of one’s own identity, but a negative feeling of apprehension of the others. The time of the homogenous nation-state is over."

If they want to buy The Tower of London why not. if they want to buy Buckingham Palace why not, Mr no country President Herman Rumpuy why don`t you stick your comments right up where the sun don`t shine and stop talking absolute crap. :rolleyes: