House Price Crash Forum
bpw

Something That Will Bring Tears To Your Eyes

I live in the USA and this has me amazed.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/homes-for-under-100k.html

Anyone in the UK under the age of 35 and without a house and with a profession should be looking for a job in Kansas (nice city!) Imagine being able to move from a class ridden s h1 t hole like Manchester and Liverpool and landing in one of these? Anyone think the UK is not finished? Ruined by the greed of boomers?

Anyone in the UK under the age of 35 and without a house and with a profession should be looking for a job in Kansas (nice city!) Imagine being able to move from a class ridden s h1 t hole like Manchester and Liverpool and landing in one of these? Anyone think the UK is not finished? Ruined by the greed of boomers?

I don't know what you're on about.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22718173.html

I tell you, I am thinking about NOT buying a place here and looking back in the States as I plan to retire one day and do not want to invest everything in a nasty overpriced bunghole for 4 to 5 times more than a decent place in the US. Some of the locations on the link are okay--maybe not Detroit but anything West of the Missippi should be okay. I used to live in San Diego and average prices are down about 50% and still dropping. Nice condo on the golf course about $200k.

Edited by Realistbear

Kansas is a state, not a city. Kansas City is a city. Isn't it one of those long-decline cities with extensive exurbs and a dangerous inner city? WHy on earth would anyone want to live there? It's in the middle of nowhere.

Most of those are either in fly-over country (hundreds of miles of flat ground) or in areas that get (to British experiences) brutal winters.

Las Vegas is not too bad--bit warm from May-October but otherwise pleasant and only 3 hours from the West Coast by car.

Florida is dirt cheap but too breezy IMO.

That's an unfair comparison. 80K in Pounds is about 125K in USD. How about this one for 60K in Pounds: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28076065.html

Heres a fairer comparison price-wise

http://www.coldwellbanker.com/property?action=list&freeTextAddress=Orlando,+FL&countryId=1&maxPrice=100000#modalDetail

Florida is breezy, but Orlando is not so bad as its a bit more inland. Might take you an hour to get to the beach though.

Edited by Realistbear

kansascitymo300210.jpg

Dont fancy this much - Looks like it something out the Amityville horror :o

Edited by rod_hull

Looks like a good place to retire.

Myself, I went to America - Miami, didn't think a lot of it to be honest.

Everyone else seems to rant and rave about the place though, South Beach especially. Could have taken a job there with the company I work for, but it didn't do anything for me, especially with the 10 days holiday and instant dismissal lark.

Guess I'm just a little Englander at heart. ;)

I suppose the great thing about America is that it is such a vast country with so many different states there is something for everyone. Might show this to some of my mates, they've been talking about moving to the ex-colonies as of late. :ph34r:

OP says that under 35s should just up sticks and move to the US and get a job over there as if it's easy. You do realise how hard it is to get a work visa or green card don't you? Even marrying an American isn't a guarantee if they suspect that you're not a genuine couple.

Edited by bb7t6

I tell you, I am thinking about NOT buying a place here and looking back in the States as I plan to retire one day and do not want to invest everything in a nasty overpriced bunghole for 4 to 5 times more than a decent place in the US. Some of the locations on the link are okay--maybe not Detroit but anything West of the Missippi should be okay. I used to live in San Diego and average prices are down about 50% and still dropping. Nice condo on the golf course about $200k.

How do you get round the health costs issue?

Nice cheap house, but you can never afford to be ill?

Better than Geneva though, here you can't afford either!

Isn't Obalmy doing something about health costs.

Er, not much, as far as I could understand, and certainly I wouldn't expect foreign retirees to get cheaper healthcare.

He's not in a position to order doctors/hospitals to treat people for a quarter of the price (i.e. a fair price).

Looks like a good place to retire.

Myself, I went to America - Miami, didn't think a lot of it to be honest.

Everyone else seems to rant and rave about the place though, South Beach especially. Could have taken a job there with the company I work for, but it didn't do anything for me, especially with the 10 days holiday and instant dismissal lark.

Guess I'm just a little Englander at heart. ;)

I suppose the great thing about America is that it is such a vast country with so many different states there is something for everyone. Might show this to some of my mates, they've been talking about moving to the ex-colonies as of late. :ph34r:

You can't retire to the US unless you have a visa, basically you can only live there for 3months of the year.

You can buy a dirt cheap house anywhere in the UK or EU, at least you may have a small chance of a legal paying job and free healthcare and no danger of six months in a high security jail for being an illegal immigrant. $100k will give you many options through out Europe.

Er, not much, as far as I could understand, and certainly I wouldn't expect foreign retirees to get cheaper healthcare.

He's not in a position to order doctors/hospitals to treat people for a quarter of the price (i.e. a fair price).

Yes I know really but I just wanted to use "Obalmy" - it was something that came to me while reading the thread.

How do you get round the health costs issue?

Nice cheap house, but you can never afford to be ill?

Better than Geneva though, here you can't afford either!

Health care is a big one. They have Medicare and local state programs that cover the big problems and you can buy top-up insurance to cover routine stuff for about $500 a month. Not until you are 66 years old though.

I would like to live in both places with a "cheap" flat* here for medical cover and live in the States for two lots of 90 days and buy holiday coverage--not sure though if this would work.

*A nasty one debroom flat in my area woud cost more than a luxury 4BR house in a decent part of North Carolina which I like--especially Chapel Hill area which is reasonable sophisticated wiht a giant UNi and lots of trees and hills. About 3 hours from some of the best beaches in the States (Myrtle Beach is famous).

Health care is a big one. They have Medicare and local state programs that cover the big problems and you can buy top-up insurance to cover routine stuff for about $500 a month. Not until you are 66 years old though.

I would like to live in both places with a "cheap" flat* here for medical cover and live in the States for two lots of 90 days and buy holiday coverage--not sure though if this would work.

*A nasty one debroom flat in my area woud cost more than a luxury 4BR house in a decent part of North Carolina which I like--especially Chapel Hill area which is reasonable sophisticated wiht a giant UNi and lots of trees and hills. About 3 hours from some of the best beaches in the States (Myrtle Beach is famous).

So you're going to Carolina in your mind?

:)