House Price Crash Forum
Bingley Bloke

Will My Girlfriend Be Charged By My Letting Agent For Moving In With Me?

I started renting a property in April 2009. Initially it had a six month AST which then went onto a rolling monthly contract from that point onward. In March 2010 I started a relationship and my girlfriend would now like to move in with me. If I inform the letting agency that I will no longer be the sole occupier, will they insist on charging my girlfriend for a credit check or any other things? Will they also want us to sign a new six month AST? What are the implications?

If it was me, I wouldn't bother telling the letting agent. Most letting agents will be fine with it but others will use any excuse to spin things for their benefit, for example by charging an extra fee (for an additional credit check or admin charge) or to tie you down to a longer lease. What benefit is there to you in informing the letting agency?

What benefit is there to you in informing the letting agency?

No benefit, as such, I just wouldn't want to find myself in trouble for not telling them if they found out. It'll be pretty obvious, when they do one of their mandatory inspections, that she's there because her stuff will be around the place, so I'd prefer to tell them rather than end up in some kind of trouble. Also, I'll need to cancel my single-occupancy discount on the council tax and I wondered if the letting agent could become aware that I was no longer claiming it, or don't they know that kind of thing?

I am in exactly the same position. And haven't told them, as it's none of their business.

I am liable for the rent, and so I pay the rent. I don't think they could suggest I'm subletting to my other half...(!).

But ensure you pay the council tax properly, as that's not worth trying to avoid.

I'm in a similar position. My girlfriend moved in over a year ago, and I haven't told the letting agents.

They've been round loads of time to get things fixed (still sh1tloads they need to do), and she's always been the one waiting in, but they've never raised any questions.

I wouldn't bother telling your letting agent.

I don't think letting agents can tell their arses from their nostrils so you can stick a finger up each of them.

The people coming round for "inspections" (why do you have that?) and to fix stuff probably haven't got a clue about what your lease document says.

I told mine when the girlfriend moved in, but only because we then needed a parking space. Rent went up to pay for parking space and new 6 month AST, but no extra costs (standing order stayed in my name etc.). Probably wouldn't have bothered telling them if we didn't need the parking space though. We've since married and hyphenated our surnames and I haven't bothered getting that updated.

mine lived with me for years before the LA found out. Had previously had a friend living here . They always insisted that the extra person was on the contract although never changed it from a rolling one or charged anything.

They explained that if someone lives in a property for a defined period of time with no contract (or without ownership) they 'earn' squatters rights and as such makes it impossible for the LL to insure his property . Thats what they told me anyways, not sure if that means my eldest son should claim the house for himself when he reaches 16 because he hasn't signed anything.

not sure if that means my eldest son should claim the house for himself when he reaches 16 because he hasn't signed anything.

I doubt it would work as it would look like you had tried to cheat the system. Judges in courts don't just go on the rule of law e.g. squatters rights they also employ some common sense and have the power not to reward squatters rights, which in itself is very difficult to prove (evidence?).

Besides the letting agent might be an honest business so unfair to screw over :P

Edited by Saberu