House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Street Lights Are About To Be Turned Off

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328243/Up-75-cent-councils-dimming-street-lights-save-money.html

Town halls are plunging our streets into darkness as they try to cut energy bills, damning research reveals.

Up to three-quarters of councils are planning to turn off street lamps or dim the lights in an attempt to save money and meet climate change targets, a poll has found.

But police fear that darkened streets will act as a haven for burglars, muggers and vandals – and motoring experts warn that there may be more accidents on the roads.

Evoking memories of 1970s-style blackouts, the poll found that 43 per cent of town hall bosses are already committed to switching off lights.

Another 12 per cent say they are dimming lamps – meaning that more than half of councils are cutting back in some way.

Meanwhile, a further 19 per cent of local authorities are also considering some form of blackout, according to the survey of 75 councils.

Considering street lighting is very inefficient as a lot of the light disappears skywards it's not surprising this is going to happen.

Certainly on main roads I can't see why they don't turn every other one off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/9173729.stm

Many councils are turning off street lights as a means of saving money, BBC Newsnight has learned.

The programme spoke to 75 councils in England and Wales and was told that 32 of them are turning some lights off.

Nine said that they are dimming lights and 14 said that they are considering street light cutbacks.

There are is no statutory obligation for councils to light the streets and flicking the switch is a cost-effective option in a time of austerity cuts.

In Scotland, where councils have warned they are facing the toughest budgets they have seen in decades, only one of the 22 councils Newsnight spoke to confirmed it would be turning off street lighting.

The original Newsnight report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/9174027.stm

Councils turning off some lights

Dorset

Southwark

Suffolk

Buckinghamshire

North Somerset and Bristol

Nottinghamshire

Powys

Gloucestershire

Bath and North East Somerset

Peterborough City Council

Shropshire

Devon

Rutland County

Telford and Wrekin

Leicestershire

Stockton-on-Tees Borough

South Gloucestershire

Bridgend

Blaenau Gwent

Conwy

Pembrokeshire

Isle of Anglesey

Carmarthenshire

Ceredigion

Newport

Torfaen

Durham

Central Bedfordshire

Borough of Poole

Cornwall

East Sussex

West Sussex

Councils dimming some lights

Redcar & Cleveland Borough

Nottingham City Council

Plymouth City Council

Slough Borough

Southampton City Council

Monmouthshire

Hampshire

Lincolnshire

Surrey

Councils considering switch off/dimming

North Lincolnshire

North Yorkshire

Swindon Borough

Southend-on-Sea Borough

Brent

Neath Port Talbot County Borough

Cardiff

Gwynedd

Derbyshire

Kent

Hertfordshire

Worcestershire

Oxfordshire

Warwickshire

Councils not planning changes

Northumberland

Portsmouth City Council

Reading Borough

Barking and Dagenham

Stoke-on-Trent City Council

Luton

Conwy

Denbighshire

Milton Keynes

Isle of Wight

Blackpool Borough

Halton

Medway

City of York

East Riding

North East Lincolnshire

Lancashire

Northamptonshire

Cambridgeshire

Cumbria Staffordshire

Good.

The amount of light pollution is obscene. It would be great to be able to get 'away from it' locally up on Dartmoor, but my eyes are assaulted simultaneously by Plymouth in the south, Okehampton in the north, and Tavistock in the middle, not to mention our cornish neighbours like Callington in the west.

I don't understand why they can't be fitted with motion sensors which would keep the nearest (say) six streetlights turned on only.

I notice that Dorset are on the list.... this has got me a little confused?!

Round these parts you can't move for council contractors installing.... er, brand new street lighting columns, hundreds of the buggers.

Good.

Lighting is a massive waste of taxpayers money and also proof that glowball warming is a load of sh1te.

Homeowners are being corralled into using crappy low energy bulbs and if not get marked down on epc's yet the councils have all sorts of lights on. How many bulbs does the average house have? Ten, twenty, you can pass that many streetlamps in a relatively short distance.

The other thing that should be looked at is traffic lights, no need for them to be on and changing colours 24/7 either.

Even cheaper electricity for economy 7 users. I'm guessing the power companies who are already generating the electricy will just drop their rates for councils.

Good.

Lighting is a massive waste of taxpayers money and also proof that glowball warming is a load of sh1te.

Homeowners are being corralled into using crappy low energy bulbs and if not get marked down on epc's yet the councils have all sorts of lights on. How many bulbs does the average house have? Ten, twenty, you can pass that many streetlamps in a relatively short distance.

The other thing that should be looked at is traffic lights, no need for them to be on and changing colours 24/7 either.

Why can't they design a new replacement standard street lamp reflector with built in 12v converter & a few led bulbs?

Too much for a multi million pound per annum quango to come up with I suppose?

Good.

Perhaps the global-warming-sky-is-falling-in brigade will now stop moaning.

And I don't buy that about increased crime. Most assaults etc seem to take place in the high street and in kebab shops at closing time, in blazing light. The idea that criminals lurk in dark alleys is nice for Hollywood but I don't think it bears out in reality.

Why can't they design a new replacement standard street lamp reflector with built in 12v converter & a few led bulbs?

Too much for a multi million pound per annum quango to come up with I suppose?

The funniest thing that the planet saving brigade forget about when slating the old light bulbs and the damage they do when sent to the tip is that the low energy ones are filled with poisonous powders. Worse still is that street lamps are either sodium or mercury and never less than 70w.

Like you say, if they really gave a chit and any of it was genuine then we would be using l.e.d's or solar cells. Business rates would also be closer to domestic rates which would make all of the car showrooms and businesses turn some of their lights off at night.

As someone who likes to stargaze... it's good news.

Lights out baby, for darker skies.

I agree, the country is over lit at night. Its ridiculous.

BBC started to engineer trouble though. They interviewed some Essex chavs who were most upset they would not be able to see to get home, after one of their late night p*ss ups! tongue.gif

Drive through France overnight, and the whole place is pretty much in darkness.

I don't understand why they can't be fitted with motion sensors which would keep the nearest (say) six streetlights turned on only.

That'll be fun when streets turn into a stroboscope :)

Great news for rapists :ph34r:

How did it come to this? We can spend billions on pointless windmills, yet can't afford streetlights at £0.00035/hour.

Most rapists are known to their attackers, supposedly. The idea of sadistic characters lurking in dark alleys with knives makes good plots for Halloween films, but I really don't think the UK's chavs and ne'er do wells care much about light levels. All the big killers (Michael Ryan etc) struck in daylight anyway.

Windmills are a money-spinner for landowners, which is why billions were spent on them. They are the ecologist's equivalent of the Norman idea of building huge churches to stamp their authority on the landscape.

If I've said this once I've said this a thousand (well 3 or 4) times on here; turning off street lights will save very little money. It's costing you under £1 per year from your Council Tax to light a counties worth of lights (residential as well as A and B roads). Electricity at night is very cheap because it has to be used.

There has been extensive research into crime and street lights and they make no difference to crime levels, they just make people feel safer when the lights are on.

Light pollution is caused by the light reflecting off the ground, not because of lantern design.

As for lights not being under 70W I don't know where that figure comes from, from memory the standard 5M residential street lights are 35W low pressure sodium.

There is a move to white light source bulbs that give out cleaner light than the current SOX lights but these are unpopular with residents as they're seen to be too bright. They're actually not, they give off the same light levels as existing bulbs for less electricity being used, but the human eye see's them as being brighter.

I think that's it. :)

What we really need are curfew laws requiring everyone to go to bed between 5.00pm and 8am during the winter.

If I've said this once I've said this a thousand (well 3 or 4) times on here; turning off street lights will save very little money. It's costing you under £1 per year from your Council Tax to light a counties worth of lights (residential as well as A and B roads). Electricity at night is very cheap because it has to be used.

There has been extensive research into crime and street lights and they make no difference to crime levels, they just make people feel safer when the lights are on.

Light pollution is caused by the light reflecting off the ground, not because of lantern design.

As for lights not being under 70W I don't know where that figure comes from, from memory the standard 5M residential street lights are 35W low pressure sodium.

There is a move to white light source bulbs that give out cleaner light than the current SOX lights but these are unpopular with residents as they're seen to be too bright. They're actually not, they give off the same light levels as existing bulbs for less electricity being used, but the human eye see's them as being brighter.

I think that's it. :)

Nope.

Residential areas use 35-55w lamps but traffic routes have lamps with 150-watt bulbs and town centres have the strongest bulbs of between 250 and 400 watts.

The real cost, including maintenance, is estimated to be around 27p a lamp per night. That is residential though, not a higher wattage lamp.

Doesn't sound much but you get in your car tonight and drive for 5 minutes and count how many street lamps you pass. Multiply that by 27p and then consider the whole area of your borough/council/county. It is far from cheap.

Fantastic! Might be able to get some decent astronomy done now, without having to drive for miles to get to a sky which isn't a horrible muddy orange colour.

Now, if only householders would start turning off their "insecurity lights" as well.

I often say this - "you'll know when global warming is serious when they start turning the street lights out - until then we know it isn't serious"

Of course street lights can also be turned off if you've run out of 50p pieces for the meter.

My brother's friend said he wired up the electricity for his flat from a street lamp (in the glorious eighties). Can this be true?