House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

Weird I T Phone Calls Today, Possibly From India

Both my sister and I received phone calls today from a company called IT Solutions which seemed to be coming from India. I could barely understand the guy, but he seemed to saying that they'd been made aware that I had an inernet security problem and they wanted to check a "log file" on my computer. Also seemed to be saying that they'd been alerted because I'd clicked onto a website ad. He was quite aggressive so after a couple of minutes I ended the call. Sister had identical call. They had my correct postcode although I didn't confirm that to them. Sister lives about 5 miles away.

Anyone heard of this or have any idea what they're up to. I thought it must be a scam but don't know enough about computers to be sure. Can someone see remotely whether there's a security problem on my computer?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Both my sister and I received phone calls today from a company called IT Solutions which seemed to be coming from India. I could barely understand the guy, but he seemed to saying that they'd been made aware that I had an inernet security problem and they wanted to check a "log file" on my computer. Also seemed to be saying that they'd been alerted because I'd clicked onto a website ad. He was quite aggressive so after a couple of minutes I ended the call. Sister had identical call. They had my correct postcode although I didn't confirm that to them. Sister lives about 5 miles away.

Anyone heard of this or have any idea what they're up to. I thought it must be a scam but don't know enough about computers to be sure. Can someone see remotely whether there's a security problem on my computer?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Clearly some kind of scam, though not one I have encountered.

I'm sure the next trick would be to get you to download something / sign up to something.

Fair play on resisting the pressure esp if you are not a nerd who could call them out on the BS.

Depending on your net provider they can track you down when you click on an advert using tools like this one http://www.iplocation.net/

When you visit a website they can obtain a number of different bits of info like your webbrowser, os and their versions for example along with your IP address.

I expect it's more random than that.

I had it a day or two ago, and hung up as soon as he identified himself as support for my windows computer. I don't have the misfortune to have a windows computer, nor do I make any attempt to impersonate one on the 'net.

And IP location wouldn't tell anyone where you are with any accuracy. It shows me about 250 miles away; a few years back it showed me somewhere in Russia(!) Some folks I knew in Rome kept being placed in Sweden by it. Etc.

I've had a few of these recently. The reason they know your postcode is because they're getting their info from the phonebook - my phone is in the name of the previous tenant and they always ask for him.

I've taken to playing along with them now, putting them on speakerphone so I can talk and work at the same time. My record for keeping them on the line so far is 35 minutes, by playing dumb and getting them to repeat everything multiple times. I come clean after I've put in the wrong code for them to connect up to my PC remotely a few times. I figure that if they're on the phone to me then they're not able to harass someone who could be fooled into signing up to their scam service.

I've had a couple of these calls, the first time I hung up and they called me back thinking we must've been accidentally cut off :rolleyes: . I suspect these scams are a result of UK companies outsourcing so much work to India etc, just think of all that customer data just waiting to be exploited.

A few months ago I stopped a neighbour's kid from spending £££s on this scam.

Clue: the words "Microsoft" and "Technical Support" do not belong in the same sentence.

A month later I got the same call; I strung them along until I got bored and then told them all machines in the house were running linux. *plink*