House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D179

C.O.D.

Just as I read this a guy sits on the train next to me unwrapping the game. I actually think games etc will be quite resiliant, as it is cheap entertainment for staying in, a bit like the recent jump in Bakyb uptake .

Just as I read this a guy sits on the train next to me unwrapping the game. I actually think games etc will be quite resiliant, as it is cheap entertainment for staying in, a bit like the recent jump in Bakyb uptake .

Yes, a game like this is very good long-term entertainment. The last COD broke all records within 24 hours making about 1.8 billion.

This new version is more expensive in virtually every shop. The supermarkets are making you spend more to get it at a decent price. Tesco are making you buy about £20 of xbox points, for example, to buy the game at discount. Sainsburys are making you spend over £30 on shopping to buy the game at just under £28 but... even still the actual game is costing more than the £25 that many supermarkets had the last COD at.

So, in theory within the next 24 hours we should see that 1.8 billion record of two years ago going. They don't need to sell as many copies now in order to make that 1.8 billion sum... but if the 1.8 billion record is not broken within 48 hours then, I would argue, that is an interesting economic indicator.

Yes, a game like this is very good long-term entertainment. The last COD broke all records within 24 hours making about 1.8 billion.

Yes but that one got all the publicity about shooting civilians didn't it, I doubt this one will do as well, so many other top releases out there, but who knows :)

This new version is more expensive in virtually every shop. The supermarkets are making you spend more to get it at a decent price. Tesco are making you buy about £20 of xbox points, for example, to buy the game at discount. Sainsburys are making you spend over £30 on shopping to buy the game at just under £28 but... even still the actual game is costing more than the £25 that many supermarkets had the last COD at.

So, in theory within the next 24 hours we should see that 1.8 billion record of two years ago going. They don't need to sell as many copies now in order to make that 1.8 billion sum... but if the 1.8 billion record is not broken within 48 hours then, I would argue, that is an interesting economic indicator.

Erm TMT, I agree COD: MW2 was an amazing game. But I don't think it sold 1.8 billion $ or £ in 24 hours. It was more like $550m in its first five days and $1b + in life time grosses.

Black Ops may need a little longer to make $1b than 48 hours!

Especially since its made by Treyarch (whose World At War was shite). Still, I might pick up a copy while doing my shopping in Sainsbury's on Friday.

Erm TMT, I agree COD: MW2 was an amazing game. But I don't think it sold 1.8 billion $ or £ in 24 hours. It was more like $550m in its first five days and $1b + in life time grosses.

Especially since its made by Treyarch (whose World At War was shite). Still, I might pick up a copy while doing my shopping in Sainsbury's on Friday.

I was only quoting the 1.8 billion figure from the various press articles today and stuff said at the launch last night in Battersea Power Station.

For all I know the last COD only made a cheese sandwich.

In other words, the figures come from the game makers and meeja.

Video game Modern Warfare 2 has become one of only a handful of entertainment franchises to take more than $1bn (£625m)in revenue, its publishers say.

It went on sale in November and made an estimated $550m in its first five days.

Beeb

Don't mean to be pedantic... well, maybe a little ;)

Lies!!! World at War is the best of the lot. I feel people who slate it are ones who have trouble taking out tanks and killing dogs (i.e low skill players) ;) It out sold CoD4 by quite a lot as a result.

Hear Black Ops is the nuts, skipped MW2, can't wait for more Treyarch brilliance. :D

Lies!!! World at War is the best of the lot. I feel people who slate it are ones who have trouble taking out tanks and killing dogs (i.e low skill players) ;) It out sold CoD4 by quite a lot as a result.

Hear Black Ops is the nuts, skipped MW2, can't wait for more Treyarch brilliance. :D

Nah, MW2 was the best by far - especially the single player campaign opening (snowspeeders!) and the burnt out burger joints in the America under attack levels.

Have you seen Inception, the movie? I reckon someone on that must have been a keen COD fan: the snow suit sequence is straight out of Modern Warfare 2. I felt my thumbs twitching while playing it.

:P

Nah, MW2 was the best by far - especially the single player campaign opening (snowspeeders!) and the burnt out burger joints in the America under attack levels.

Have you seen Inception, the movie? I reckon someone on that must have been a keen COD fan: the snow suit sequence is straight out of Modern Warfare 2. I felt my thumbs twitching while playing it.

:P

Haven't seen Inception, but you've just reminded me to download it ;)

Never been a huge fan of the single player campaigns, always been a multiplayer fan. Will get MW2 off ebay when it's 10 quid or under ;)