House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CountryMove

Mysterious Hole In The Ground

Went to view a house which has an adjoining paddock, which has a depression about 1m in diameter and about 20cm deep. I can't see any sign of it on Google maps so it must be fairly recent. It's not in a position where water would gather. There haven't been any animals living in the paddock for years I don't think. The owner said they didn't know what it was (or that it was there, even).

Also, there is a disused quarry about 250m away from the house, it is pretty small and hasn't been worked in decades I don't think, in fact I am having trouble finding a name or any information about it at all on the internet!

So I'm wondering what this hole could be! And whether another one could suddenly appear and swallow up the house!

Anyone have any suggestions for how I find out whether there is cause for concern?

Went to view a house which has an adjoining paddock, which has a depression about 1m in diameter and about 20cm deep. I can't see any sign of it on Google maps so it must be fairly recent. It's not in a position where water would gather. There haven't been any animals living in the paddock for years I don't think. The owner said they didn't know what it was (or that it was there, even).

Also, there is a disused quarry about 250m away from the house, it is pretty small and hasn't been worked in decades I don't think, in fact I am having trouble finding a name or any information about it at all on the internet!

So I'm wondering what this hole could be! And whether another one could suddenly appear and swallow up the house!

Anyone have any suggestions for how I find out whether there is cause for concern?

In Wales it may be mining subsidence.

Old mines are sometimes marked on old maps

Thanks for the replies. The house is close to the English border and the quarry looks to have been a fairly small site so I don't think it was coal.

Googling the place name I saw on oldmaps (thanks up2late!) I think it may have been Quartz conglomerate or sandstone quarrying.

No idea if either of these things would require underground workings or make the surrounding land unstable....?

Is this something a land surveyor could help with?

My parents live in an area where bell pits are common and there is clear subsidence on their road which has been slowly getting worse for the last 15 years.

On a practical note, if the property has been on the market for some time, ask the agent if there was a HIP. Mineworks are often mentioned in the searches which will be included in the HIP.

Went to view a house which has an adjoining paddock, which has a depression about 1m in diameter and about 20cm deep. Anyone have any suggestions for how I find out whether there is cause for concern?

Seriously. Someone buried a dead pony or large animal there?