House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Toto deVeer

Whats This All About : A New Marketing Ploy?

A relation (recent graduate) is interested in taking up an entry level position with a business near Liverpool. He went up to have a look at flats to rent.

He selected an unfurnished 1 bdrm flat in a decent area of Cheshire. Contacted the letting company named Andrews.

After expressing that he wanted the place, here's the deal from Andrews: it turns out that Andrews is not the letting agent, but a marketing firm. There's another management company and the landlord. Three parties. Total cost? Monthly let £360. Deposit £500. Andrews Fee (?) £250. Total up front cost £1110 for a 1 bedroom, unfurnished apt in a small village. Not even a refrigerator.

What's this all about? Is this based upon demand/std practice, or is it simply an attempt to rip off a tenant?

A relation (recent graduate) is interested in taking up an entry level position with a business near Liverpool. He went up to have a look at flats to rent.

He selected an unfurnished 1 bdrm flat in a decent area of Cheshire. Contacted the letting company named Andrews.

After expressing that he wanted the place, here's the deal from Andrews: it turns out that Andrews is not the letting agent, but a marketing firm. There's another management company and the landlord. Three parties. Total cost? Monthly let £360. Deposit £500. Andrews Fee (?) £250. Total up front cost £1110 for a 1 bedroom, unfurnished apt in a small village. Not even a refrigerator.

What's this all about? Is this based upon demand/std practice, or is it simply an attempt to rip off a tenant?

Not sure what you are asking really

Andrews is an EA (well it is where I come from) and the flat is owned by a LL. It could be that this LL is a company that owns lots of flats and they just use an EA to find them tenants and them manage them themselves. This is exactly how my LL works.

Whilst I accept that the 250 pounds fee is a bit on the high side, charging fees for checking the tenant's credit rating etc is quite normal, though they aren't allowed to charge a finders fee, it has to be for other things.

You can't complain about the deposit it's in the normal range.

HTH

tim

Not sure what you are asking really

Andrews is an EA (well it is where I come from) and the flat is owned by a LL. It could be that this LL is a company that owns lots of flats and they just use an EA to find them tenants and them manage them themselves. This is exactly how my LL works.

Whilst I accept that the 250 pounds fee is a bit on the high side, charging fees for checking the tenant's credit rating etc is quite normal, though they aren't allowed to charge a finders fee, it has to be for other things.

You can't complain about the deposit it's in the normal range.

HTH

tim

Thanks Tim. I've never seen a deposit that is more than one month's rent, and I've never seen an up front fee either. That's why I was seeking others experiences. Seems quite steep to me; £1110 up front for a 360/month unfurnished flat.

All seems regular.

Our rent is £750 per month. Left a deposit of £1100 at the start, plus £99 EA fee, plus first months rent. Nearly 2 grand up front. Ouch, but should get all deposit back. Plus when we move out the rent will work in our favour (I.e rent is payed a month in advance, pay last £750 then move out 30 days later with no more to owe)