It's Started....petrol Mob-crisis

HOLA441
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
...in North London people are going potty and swamping the stations for as much petrol as possible.

Why are you surprised? It's exactly the same attitude that people have displayed towards house prices:

Prices as high as they have ever been? Quick, we must buy some before we get priced-out forever/the protesters block the refinery!

Edited by IPOD

HOLA444
HOLA445

Yep, it's not nice out there. Filled up at BP on the M4 earlier, where Diesel is currently £1.03 a litre. For me that's nearly £90 for a tank of fuel now! :angry:

Also heard on Radio 4 earlier that the emergency services are struggling as for some reason 999 operators are being swamped by hundreds of calls from stupid people dialling 999 to ask where they can buy petrol. Did anyone else hear this?

HOLA446
Also heard on Radio 4 earlier that the emergency services are struggling as for some reason 999 operators are being swamped by hundreds of calls from stupid people dialling 999 to ask where they can buy petrol.  Did anyone else hear this?

That's possibly the stupidest thing I have heard in years.

Just the thought this could be happening is scary and hilarious in equal measure.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Yep, it's happening in Basingstoke too:

I wanted to put air in my tyres, and had to drive to three different garages before I could get in because of the queues of cars. When I finally did get in, I did the tyres, and went into the shop to top up my phone card. At the counter, the assistant said "any fuel?". "No fuel: no silly panic buying for me thanks" I said. People round about looking at their shoes....

Herd mentality in action. I give it twenty four hours before people start sweeping all the bread an milk they can cram into their 4x4 into their shopping trolleys - just like last time.

Arrggghhh!

:angry:

HOLA4412
But my fuel tank is only 17 litres  :blink:

OK well the idea is... take 15 billy cans fill them all up in bulk then sell them at aslight markup.

Basically all the people who would of just taken 1 can to fill as an emergency can are now going to take 5 cans to meet the price quota... what a f*ckin stupid idea.

EDITED:

He also warned motorists to behave responsibly: "I really do appeal to people to actually just buy fuel when they need it

Yea that will do it, since you asked so nicely and all...

Sentiment sentiment sentiment, when will it get through. the herd tramples

Edited by theChuz

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
If developers offer a free tank of petrol with every two bedroom flat that will bring buyers back into the market.

and who knows... it might be if the buyer uses a light foot and really makes that petrol last, then in a couple of years time what is left might be worth more than the flat? One never knows...

:lol:

Edited by Levy process

HOLA4417
Yep, it's not nice out there.  Filled up at BP on the M4 earlier, where Diesel is currently £1.03 a litre.  For me that's nearly £90 for a tank of fuel now!  :angry:

Also heard on Radio 4 earlier that the emergency services are struggling as for some reason 999 operators are being swamped by hundreds of calls from stupid people dialling 999 to ask where they can buy petrol.  Did anyone else hear this?

Yep, you didnt imagine it, i heard it too... and folks here wonder why i dont like people and their stupidity.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

This is getting hilarious, of course the fundamental problem is that it does not matter what the government say now, after Iraq, no one will believe them. The USA have already bought several tanker loads of EU fuel to meet their needs so it is possible it will take longer than normal to refill empty stations.

Joe public will have qued for half an hour to fill his car then sat down to watch a bit of corination street only to be told that house prices are falling, reposetions are increasing, and he had better start thinking about how to repay his debt. Next week he will be told his pension is no good and he will have to work until he is 75 to pay for nuclear power and public sector pensions

What a day :lol::lol:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I don't bloody believe it!

Got stuck in a 1/2 mile traffic jam caused by morons queueing for petrol - each and every one of them sitting there with their engines running.

The blockades haven't even started yet, by the time fuel is short, their tanks will be empty

again (if indeed it hapens at all)

The irony is, that prices seem to have dropped a few pence over the weekend,

so if nothing happens, they are queueing to pay top prices :D:D

(that gives me a strong and sad feelingof deja-vu)

I wonder even if the lorry drivers are being put up to this by the petrol

companies, in order to justify what appears to be rampant price gouging.

Sheeple - no wonder house prices have gone up 300%

I'm so angry, I may even change my handle to 'Droopy'

ABB

HOLA4422
Oh boy.

*in smug mode*

I have never had a car in my 35 years (including 10 years with two step-children) and can live quite happily using my legs, buses and trains.

What is so ****ing terrifying about running out of petrol?

Erm... don't your buses run on Diesel? And intercity trains either in Diesel (or electricity which is produced largely by burning oil?)

Hope you can walk a long way.

HOLA4423
Erm... don't your buses run on Diesel?  And intercity trains either in Diesel (or electricity which is produced largely by burning oil?)

Hope you can walk a long way.

Yes that is true. But a bus with 30 people on it will be more efficient than 30 cars. (Although I would like figures to prove that is the case)

I would be hit too in a fuel crisis but hope that I am better adapted to improvising my travel arrangements than many. I have always tried to ensure that my work is within walking distance.

And I do like walking :)

Edited by Starcrossed

HOLA4424
HOLA4425