House Price Crash Forum
Webmaster

New Graph Available

If anyone wants to plot a graph showing housing transactions over a longer time period (1997-2005 is a fairly short time period IMHO):

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odp...ouse_604108.xls

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odp...ouse_604109.xls

Transaction numbers tend to track house prices; if house prices are rising transaction numbers rise (the all-time peak was in 1988, 2.148 million transactions) and vice versa.

Edited by IPOD

I'd like to see them go back as far as is reasonably possible, starting after the war would be good, but I know it becomes difficult to get data that far back.

The BOE seem to have removed their interest rate graph that went back to the 1600's, that would be interesting (I think Charlie may have a copy)

The house price to earnings ratio means much more if you can plot it back to the fifties, shows that the current boom is 20% higher than the 80's bubble.

It's great for getting an instant view of the history of the UK housing market, and showing how much trouble we're in now.

Edited by BandWagon

We're open to suggestions.  If you'd like to see a different timescale on this graph then let us know.

Firstly thanks Webmaster!

I agree with BandWagon, going back to 1945 would be very nice indeed!

However I know this is not always possible.

Personally I think at least the last 25-30 years (ie mortgage term of our parents) would help with the arguments at home with the family :angry:

We're open to suggestions.  If you'd like to see a different timescale on this graph then let us know.

Thanks webmaster these are great. Would definitely would like to see the last 30 years of what is available. I am not aware of any boom and bust cycle the like of which we have seen in the last 2 rounds pre-Thatcher, so back to the war would be interesting since I think it might be driven within a shifted ideology (feel like I'm back in university with that statement. eeek.).

I always hate sounding like a lonely intellectual t*sser, so I will add the words of the good Dr Shiller (on the Fox news report this morning) to support the case above:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166561,00.html

Surprisingly, while others are quick to point to historically low mortgage rates as the key ingredient sparking the unprecedented rise in residential real estate in recent years, Shiller dismisses this as "minor." Instead, he says the driving factor is "a change in the way we relate to society. I think we are living in a capitalist world right now."