House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Win My House

What makes you think it's an illegal competition?

Well for a starting point a competition cannot have an entry fee and where one is implyed a free entry method is required.

I'll happily continue. Competition and gaming law is something I know an awfully large amount about.

Well for a starting point a competition cannot have an entry fee and where one is implyed a free entry method is required.

I'll happily continue. Competition and gaming law is something I know an awfully large amount about.

Hi Eek,

I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything I'm genuinely interested as the win-my-home.com web site is mine!

I've spent allot of money on it and my solicitors assure me it's correct, honest and legal.

My knowledge on the competition rules are:

Entry fee's cannot be charged for a game of chance! (Some exceptions are society raffles and £1 raffles that are held on 1 day - not an exhaustive list)

My web-site is a competition whereby I can charge for an entry fee and the winner is judged by quote:

If a competition does not involve skill, it may be considered a lottery. To be exempt from the controls on lotteries, the law requires that success in competitions must depend to a "substantial degree" on the exercise of skill.

If my competition is illegal I want to know about it so I can contact my solicitors!

Thoughts?

Cheers

Dan

Edited by bloy.d

If everyone of this site wants to donate 50 quid, when you've paid the money I'll buy a bloody house and give it to one of you - The most deserving of course. Is that on the basis of skills or no skills? I couldn't work it out from the previous post but is seemed quite specifically one or t'other.

Disclaimer: Cost of house in question not to exceed more than 50% of value of reciepts :P

If everyone of this site wants to donate 50 quid, when you've paid the money I'll buy a bloody house and give it to one of you - The most deserving of course.  Is that on the basis of skills or no skills?  I couldn't work it out from the previous post but is seemed quite specifically one or t'other. 

Disclaimer: Cost of house in question not to exceed more than 50% of value of reciepts :P

Elizabeth - it has to be skill, simply selecting a winner by chance is a lottery and therefore illegal. The skill is in writing a witty, apt and amusing tie breaker which will be judged by the BBC.

If a competition is run for gain then it must involve a degree of skill or knowledge to secure a prize, or offer a genuine free entry route to participants. Many prize competitions and prize draws currently employ so-called free entry routes. But in reality they do not involve the exercise of genuine skill and require the participant to make a payment, such as by a premium rate telephone call.

See http://www.culture.gov.uk/gambling_and_rac...ompetitions.htm

Your question requires no level of skill. Tie breakers are an interesting get out clause but are frowned upon where there is some cost involved in the actual entry as the competition is subjective and open to attack in the way that an actual question with a valid correct answer does not.

Regardless of that take the money via nochex and not paypal (they seriously frown upon any gaming within their terms and conditions).

Edited by eek

Elizabeth - it has to be skill, simply selecting a winner by chance is a lottery and therefore illegal. The skill is in writing a witty, apt and amusing tie breaker which will be judged by the BBC.

Such a shame my witty, apt and amusing writing skills never work under forced conditions!!

Can I ask why you've decided to raffle it rather than sell it by conventional means?

we thought it would be fun, earn a little extra money and give somebody a real chance in life for £50.

Edited by bloy.d

we thought it would be fun, earn a little extra money and give somebody a real chance in life for £50.

I'd never pay more than £1 for something like this. I reckon that'd make your competition unsustainable, so you better hope few people are like me.

I really can't afford to waste £50 on something like this, I mean, that's fifty quid!

NDL

Edit: Good luck with your plan btw :)

Edited by New Darker Law

These type of competitions are perfectly legal. The element of skill may be extremely low but it is still enough for people to get it wrong so it legal. Contrast that with the Live8 which as far as I am aware, was illegal as it had no question at all as was for all intents and purposes, a lottery.

However, with all that said, as discussed before here, house price competitions are a very good signal of a housing market completely up sh1t creek, just as it was in the 90's.

Being the intellectual that I am, I also spotted another house competition in my favourite trade journal Nuts, this week. ;) The prize was a 315k house but I was hoping for Katie Downes.

Edited by homedaq

Anyone any idea how stamp duty would work with this?

The winner will only have to pay for there own silicitors and the stamp duty. Stamp duty is based on the total ticket sales not the market value. So the winner will have to pay slightly more stamp duty than normal (few hundred pounds) but as they are not paying for the property I don't think i'll see the winner complaining about that one eh!

ITV are coming round soon to do a interview so watch out for us on Central News!!!