House Price Crash Forum

Did Anyone Watch Hugh Hendry On Newsnight ?

LuckyOne

HOLA441

His basic thesis was that we have abandoned our pursuit of an industrial economy by chasing ever increasing house prices with the result that we have subjugated ourselves to China. He went further to say that now that we have declining house prices, we have nothing to look forward to.

I might have put it a bit more broadly but I cannot disagree with him.

HOLA442

His basic thesis was that we have abandoned our pursuit of an industrial economy by chasing ever increasing house prices with the result that we have subjugated ourselves to China. He went further to say that now that we have declining house prices, we have nothing to look forward to.

That's one for catch up on iplayer.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

nothing will ever beat that Newsnight interview he did when,on being asked what poeople should do in the current environment,he replied

'Panic'.

A defining moment for doommongers across the globe.

He was right. ZIRP / stimulus / QE have only served to delay but magnify and compress the problem.

HOLA447

His basic thesis was that we have abandoned our pursuit of an industrial economy by chasing ever increasing house prices

agreed.

with the result that we have subjugated ourselves to China.

wrong.

He went further to say that now that we have declining house prices, we have nothing to look forward to.

wrong. what a total ******ing failure of imagination.

HOLA448

He was right. ZIRP / stimulus / QE have only served to delay but magnify and compress the problem.

I'm seeing it in spades. High cost base - massive dash to cut costs and automate - they don't know what they have unleashed. No rebalancing, the jugular it is then.

HOLA449

but wait up a mo, he also said china was vulnerable to a contraction of consumption in the west.

Another interesting thing he pointed out was that china is churning out highly qualified students willing to work for $3000. Meanwhile a British or American student is likely to run up a bill of $3000 in the first half of their first term. He wondered how UK / US students would ever see an ROI.

HOLA4410

but wait up a mo, he also said china was vulnerable to a contraction of consumption in the west.

Another interesting thing he pointed out was that china is churning out highly qualified students willing to work for $3000. Meanwhile a British or American student is likely to run up a bill of $3000 in the first half of their first term. He wondered how UK / US students would ever see an ROI.

He did. He is actually quite bearish on China (as am I).

China may well "China" itself. I am African and have always believed that global living standards will not be able to rise until people in Africa have defined the "bottom" in the "race to the bottom".

No matter what happens, Chinese graduates will be able to afford to work for much less than UK / US graduates for the forseeable future.

HOLA4411

China may well "China" itself. I am African and have always believed that global living standards will not be able to rise until people in Africa have defined the "bottom" in the "race to the bottom".

No matter what happens, Chinese graduates will be able to afford to work for much less than UK / US graduates for the forseeable future.

Africa has huge natural resources and many countries there are growing very fast indeed (under the radar because everyone's attention is focused on BRIC nations). Yes, I know, they have many problems too.

HOLA4412

The UK has hamstrung itself.

How ironic that for decades we were bombarded with the mantra of cost-efficiency but when it came to the price of property the zealots conspicuously encouraged the direct opposite. I wonder if vested interest had anything to do with it?

HOLA4413

wrong. what a total ******ing failure of imagination.

Didn't see it but I don't think he would mean that he had no ideas on solutions to our problems or even that members of the government had no ideas, rather that the system we have, namely social democracy, will prevent any solutions from seeing the light of day.

Everything is done with both eyes on the electorate and continuing to appease the voters prevents any hard choices from being made. Look at the so-called budget "cuts" that rely on quite aggressive growth to ease the deficit rather than taking matters in our own hands.

HOLA4414

nothing will ever beat that Newsnight interview he did when,on being asked what poeople should do in the current environment,he replied

'Panic'.

A defining moment for doommongers across the globe.

I missed that...is there a clip of it online somewhere?

HOLA4415

Our economy has been geared towards property for the last decade. I.e. Plenty of estate agents, solictors, conveyancing surveyors, furniture, homeware retailers, builders, media programmes to choose from.

It'll take sometime for adjustment.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

/

No matter what happens, Chinese graduates will be able to afford to work for much less than UK / US graduates for the foreseeable future.

My Ghanaian friends say Ghana has a better quality of life than the UK due to the UK being such a ripoff and apparently a lot of British people go to live in Ghana to seek business opportunities outside of the communist controls of British regulation on importing. I've never been to Ghana but I am pretty open minded and I think what he says is true that there are probably many more business opportunities in Ghana and the same is especially true in China.

I also get the feeling that people in countries like Ghana and China which are more capitalistic than Britain have a lot more risk takers/ potential entrepreneurs as many people are willing to take a risk on doing a business in these countries due to the low cost base compared to the UK.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425