House Price Crash Forum

Under 35's - What Is Your Work & Housing Status?

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying not to sound like a housing troll but its quite usual that the first home you can afford to buy isn't a detached four bed mansion

In my personal experience wealth is more a matter of greed and luck than intelligence or hard work, in a large part because income taxes are so high in the UK

I think I have less sympathy for you because you are have the option to buy a home but choose not to, rather than not have the option to buy at all

Thats just a financial decision (probably worked out on an actuarial basis?)

I really don't want to own a succession of houses though; each a bit bigger than the next... the only reason to do that imo is if you're been suckered in by the "housing ladder" myth and are sufficiently non-mathematical that you can't see throught the absurdities in it.

My flat that I rent is much nicer than any house that I can buy so from a utility perspective I've decided to rent and save money for a house...

I really don't want to own a succession of houses though; each a bit bigger than the next... the only reason to do that imo is if you're been suckered in by the "housing ladder" myth and are sufficiently non-mathematical that you can't see throught the absurdities in it.

My flat that I rent is much nicer than any house that I can buy so from a utility perspective I've decided to rent and save money for a house...

Well you just need to save for quite a bit and be prepared to wait till prices get to levels you are comfortable with

Might take a while but it will happen...

Your profession should insulate you from inflation or deflation whichever way it goes

(God, I sound so middle aged.... :( )

What a distasteful, nasty thread this is.

We've got envy, pride, greed, glutony and wrath all in one place. Not nice.

bravo, its threads like these that demonstrate that many HPC'ers are not all that different from BTL'ers and their ilk, apart from the fact that they missed out on the feeding frenzy of HPI

They do say the five things you should never discuss are religion, polities, personal finances, sex life and personal medical maladies.

I'm sorry for any wrong I've caused in this thread :(

I would, and do, happily discuss all of these things (Except religion because many people are literally mental in their ******ing heads when it comes to religion) with anyone.

Why not ? I don't see the big deal.

I agree. Although for some people I imagine it makes sense. For me though - just fancy buying a wee place that I like and then that will be it - unless anything unexpected comes up. Maybe live in a different country for a while of course - but really dont plan any buying selling, profit, loss, interest rates up, down, house prices this, that and whatever.

Buy it - it's mine. Live in it. Forget about the rest of it. .

This thread has inspired me to apply for a new job. Its an extra 10k per year, but I don't meet one of the 'essential' criteria (got to be a postgrad or PHD ... but doesnt mention what discipline...) ... but can't do any harm trying. I've met these PHD types and they always seem inept at actually doing stuff, and its very apt to my current skills etc.

Hopefully some good will come out of this whinging thread!

Application submitted. Fingers crossed. :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

22, unemployed, 1st class MEng in electrical engineering at a 'good' uni (top 10 in league table etc and course all accredited etc), not that any of that matters anyway is a degree now is utterly worthless life is completely ******ed

Looking at either doing a phd abroad somewhere to get out of this shithole or committing suicide and that’s how I feel

I don’t want to go on a graduate scheme and become a middle manager or a corporate *****, I would have been fine doing bricklaying or something but I got brainwashed in school and by the time I woke up when I got to uni it was like ‘oh well im here now might as well finish it’ and now I have 30k debt what the ****** am I meant to do

Take it your a Liverpool fan by your username? Great player, never given a chance, reading your post, so very sad.To gain a "1st class MEng at any Uni, is a great achievement. Can i ask, which Uni? I got a 1st Class BEng (Hon's) in Mechanical Engineering at not such a great Uni, but this was quite a while ago. A bit of advice, i did a PhD at a top Uni, spent four years, wasted after i thought. I would not recommend it, use your Masters Degree, manufacturing is picking up, i hear from ex-colleagues JLR are hiring good grads and giving them time to settle. Message me for any questions.............JLR cannot find bright people to get on board, the rates are not great, but beat Jobseekers........................Advice from an old Engineer who ain't so bright, but worked hard...................

+1 don't do the PhD...!!

Ha, you aswell, com'on elaberate, whats your tale, it intrigues me, Phd's, an academic certificate of research into something which has already been proven but recycled for the sake of another angle, of course unless it proves something new along the lines of inovation............

My experience is very personal as I decided to end my own research degree. I was doing it with a company so there were conflicts from day one between what I wanted, what they wanted (in a timely fashion) and what my supervisor wanted. It didn't help that I got pushed into using the most advanced technology available - fresh out of uni! [i think to do a PhD you should do a few years of work first...].

In any case, it was rubbish. A lot of pressure (only having done one can you understand!), complete t@sser of a supervisor who never helped yet always criticised to the max, not very much direction (as you point out a lot of research now is re-hashed tosh), and a whole load of other issues. One of the worst experiences of my life to date (though the folks at the workplace were pretty cool) - best thing I did was to get out and get an engineering JOB - the guys at my new place actually frown upon PhDs (rightly or wrongly) as most applicants they get (Chinese with PhDs) know some obscure things but can't do the bread and butter circuit design. I must admit I regret not going straight into the 'job' - though I was lucky mine WAS with a company in some ways as I wasn't 'isolated' from the real workplace. No substitute for corporate experience.

Only do a research degree IMO if you want to go into research when you finish!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of the reasons for me going into mine were that the money was surprisingly decent, I got to work in a real company, and also got to do a lot of extra classes in interesting subjects. I deferred and got an MSc from it (already having an MEng). I don't know who'd want to go into lecturing/research with all the pressure and relatively poor pay compared to industry. Anyway, I underestimated the 'research' aspect - all that cr@p about producing novel papers etc, such cr@p.

May I ask where yo uare with your career now? I got a 1st class MEng in electronics from Edinburgh - was close to working for Rolls or BP (looking on glassdoor BP employees' salaries aren't AS stellar as some claim)... decided to go into circuit design. Not sure where I will fall into in future - I'm good with people, I don't know.. Anyway 4 years in on £30k, bit disappointed (pushing for £35k which is where I reckon I should be at). Looking at Texas or Germany for the 'experience' (not for the money, as staying at home here I'm saving a fortune!). Worked in imaging, comms and power electronics (current). Give me a chunky power process any day. Used to do a bit of software, but now that I'm in a bigger company I do less of that - such a faff, I'm really not that much into the software side of things (apart from using it of course lol).

How has mechnical engineering treated you? I took mechanics in my 1st year of uni but I wasn't so strong in that subject.

Edited by guitarman001

My experience is very personal as I decided to end my own research degree. I was doing it with a company so there were conflicts from day one between what I wanted, what they wanted (in a timely fashion) and what my supervisor wanted. It didn't help that I got pushed into using the most advanced technology available - fresh out of uni! [i think to do a PhD you should do a few years of work first...].

In any case, it was rubbish. A lot of pressure (only having done one can you understand!), complete t@sser of a supervisor who never helped yet always criticised to the max, not very much direction (as you point out a lot of research now is re-hashed tosh), and a whole load of other issues. ....................................One of the worst experiences of my life to date (though the folks at the workplace were pretty cool) - best thing I did was to get out and get an engineering JOB - the guys at my new place actually frown upon PhDs (rightly or wrongly) as most applicants they get (Chinese with PhDs) know some obscure things but can't do the bread and butter circuit design. I must admit I regret not going straight into the 'job' - though I was lucky mine WAS with a company in some ways as I wasn't 'isolated' from the real workplace. No substitute for corporate experience.

I read down to where i did input ...................................I could have written that myself, i thought, jeeeeeeeeeez, he is me writing about my PhD experience!

I would not want to go into details about my career on here, ups and downs; i am alot older than you, probably not as bright, and did my PhD because i did not want to go back to industry for four years, what a mistake, thats all i am saying..............But i can completely understand what you have written, especially, supervisors, what w@nkers!

Full time employment.. probably earn about a median wage for this thread.

Married, renting cheap 1 bed flat for around £400/m. Currently living near Warrington but looking at moving to an area nearer the office.

Average 3 bed semi in this manor is about £250k.. (above average for up-north), and around 7/8 times my salary.

We are planning to have kids within a couple of years and it would be nice to be able to buy something by then. Fortunately the low rent has allowed us to put a bit away towards a deposit which I gamble (semi-successfully) in equities.

So wait, did you complete your PhD then, yes?

Still sitting on my external drive, never wrote up, would still command the qualifiaction after all these years, no one has since addressed the subject criteria, but hey, too long now, and a Dr is a medical man, not some twerp who has re-defined someone elses work to gain the status of Doc.................

This will take some time to work through the system - IMO we have all been affected by the bubble, just in different ways. People on here still focussing an awful lot on owning a house. Perhaps the real leap forward will be when the younger generations stop being so obsessive about “owning” a property at all. Savings are all good but we might find much better uses for them than just sinking them into a house…..

Couldn't agree more. I and my partner are highly educated and 34 and 35 respectively. I worked in pharmaceuticals for 10 years ending on £75K + benefits. Received £45K voluntary redundancy after tax. My partner started her own business and made £56K net at peak. We lived for 8 years in a ghetto area of South London in a 2-bed leasehold flat which we bought in a derelict state for £125K in 2003 and sold last year for £186K. Rennovation costs were around £25K, buying the freehold £7K. Quality of life during this time was very poor. Total assets now around £400K including a paid off apartment in central Lyon, France.

We currently rent a semi-derelict house in Beckenham for £1.1K per month. To buy this terraced house would cost the sum total of our combined assets. Compare this to living for around 20 years, without working, in France with a reasonable quality of life in a large rental house with secuirty of tenure. We are hence emigrating next year directly after we have our first child.

We both come from working class backgrounds and have been entirely self-funded since 19 years old. The above is the result of hard work. We cannot justify giving all of those years of work to someone else, simply because they were born a few years earlier. It would also be a strange decision given our options outside of the UK. The young of Britain cannot change the nature of the UK, but they can change their own lives. Stop focusing on housing and start focusing on using your skills to improve your life elsewhere. There really are other options available.

That's what I'm doing!! I'm a good guitarist, I'm learning another language, my engineering and maths knowlege is sound... and I'm sitting on £30k with just £20k in savings (another £10k sitting in equities which are 75% down) and £11k student debt still...... 34 with assets of £400k!? *HEAD EXPLODES* Seriously, me head is EXPLODING!!!!!!!!!!! Does pharmaceuticals pay that much - did you go into management? What, tell me!! I graft, graft, graft but the money just isn't coming in. Then I read about 20/30 y/os with half a million in the bank and... my head EXPLODES>>>!!!

I've got two jobs which I'm looking at now.... still in electronics but in Texas and Munich. I don't if moving would make me any 'richer' (What a laugh) than I already am.

Edited by guitarman001