House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Secret Squirrel

Houses / Apartments To Drop Equally ?

Hi Guys

In the event of a pending crash do you think all properties will drop equally % wise (depending on areas of course)

With all the unfinished apartments & new builds so desperate to be sold would you say any apartment would be a bad investment & likely to fall harder across the boards (compared to 2 bed houses) ?

or in the case of dropping more rapidly .. could make them good investments ?

are houses generally easier to rent /sell ?

I'm a bit undecided though i've never heard the term 'Safe as Apartments' used before ;)

Hi Guys

In the event of a pending crash do you think all properties will drop equally % wise (depending on areas of course)

With all the unfinished apartments & new builds so desperate to be sold would you say any apartment would be a bad investment & likely to fall harder across the boards (compared to 2 bed houses) ?

or in the case of dropping more rapidly .. could make them good investments ?

are houses generally easier to rent /sell ?

I'm a bit undecided though i've never heard the term 'Safe as Apartments' used before ;)

I've been wondering about this too, and I'm swinging from loving the anonymity of living in an apartment block (no trick or treaters, no salesmen, no political party canvassers) to wanting a house instead.

At the same time, I get the impression that a lot of the original buyers of the new build apartments are in it so deep that they daren't reduce the asking price. Building I live in now has had a lot of reposessions, and I know my own landlord paid several 10s of £k over what the flat is worth now.

I can also see houses for sale that are steadily reducing prices, and the same with older flats.

So, I think in the short term, the people that bought the new-build flats at the peak will hang on for dear life. But in the longer term the amateur BTL owners will become ever more desperate to rent their "investments" out. I don't find it at all hard to believe that in a couple of decades, some of these apartment blocks will be demolished

I have similar thoughts Bewildered_Buyer

For years i simply wanted a nice apartment of my own (like the anonimity too) but am now wondering if a 2 bed house would be a more stable investment long term .. does owning the land not count for much nowadays ?

also the fact that so many BTL's favour apartments & must be knee deep in with some right now (not to mention their bad tenants next door) is rather offputting for the future

I think i'd still go for a nice apartment in a good select block (though would cost the premium) but the standard stuff is worrying

I just wonder what % of some blocks are BTL/Owner occupied . is there any way of knowing ?