House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Shanghai-On-Shannon - What On Earth!

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Shanghai-on-Shannon-as-Chinese-set-up-shop-106836698.html

Chinese investors are planning a “Shanghai-on-Shannon,” a city in Co Westmeath that will act as a trading hub for Europe. It is believed that a formal planning application is to be filed with Westmeath County Council early next month.

Rumors have been spreading about the project for nearly two years.

“It all appeared quite nebulous until the Taoiseach spoke publicly about it in late June,” the editor of the Westmeath Independent, Tadhg Carey, told the Irish Times. “That seemed to make it more real in the eyes of people here

“What is being proposed is a massive trading hub, which will allow Chinese companies to display their wares in large exhibition halls for the European market and beyond,” says Finneran. “Buyers will be able to do all their purchasing in one location instead of going to China, where they might have to travel to several cities. This will save them a lot of time and money.”

He says reports in the international media that the complex will include factories are inaccurate. “There is no question of any manufacturing being done here,” he says.

Sounds like a Free Port to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_ports

“There is no question of any manufacturing being done here,”

Translation it wont provide much in the way of jobs.

Just seems like more crazy property speculation since the centre is miles from the real axis of western European trade which runs down the Rhine.

I gather the Chinese are blowing their own real estate bubble at the moments so probably want to learn from the Irish masters how to achieve the most spectacular crash

One thing is for sure as austerity cuts bite ever deeper in Eire the average Irish citizen wont be buying the goods on display.

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

Translation it wont provide much in the way of jobs.

It won't provide a single job. As per their modus operandi they will ship Chinese nationals to do every single thing.

Incredible what's happening. I'm even seeing Chinese money arriving in W Wales, going into commercial property. Who'd have thought it!

Edited by gruffydd

It won't provide a single job. As per their modus operandi they will ship Chinese nationals to do every single thing.

Though it won't say that in the planning application. ;)

Jobs will be provided locally though via construction, services, supplies... Huge numbers for a place the nice of Athlone (which I guess it about the same size as Chippenham).

A small country town becomes a City overnight - pretty astonishing stuff.

Edited by gruffydd

Isnt a 'hub', by definition, in the middle of things?

Like lots of distribution centres in Northampton/Daventry/Coventry where the M1/M6/A14 meet. A european 'hub' would surely be in luxembourg or germany or somewhere.

This is just going to be one of many across Europe supported by private business intervention. I suspect the Italian and Greece investments are strategic and supported by the Chinese government. I doubt the Irish one is so central to strategy though. However, Ireland is a very low tax place to do business, so, unlike the UK, it stands to benefit hugely.

Also, seeing the US presence in Ireland is incredibly strong, the Chinese may be wanting to challenge US domination in Europe. Don't underestimate this.

I think the Irish have given up trying to maintain the place as a holiday destination anyway - people think it's lost its charm and is too expensive. Last lady I know who went there said she might as well have been in Russia or somewhere :lol:

So why not go what the hell and just massively industrialise and urbanise overnight. Nothing to lose.

Edited by gruffydd

Incredible what's happening. I'm even seeing Chinese money arriving in W Wales, going into commercial property. Who'd have thought it!

They have to keep recycling their surpluses outside of China.

Now they're unable to it so easily through the western bond/bankstering/property markets it seems they're intent on doing it via direct investment.

(It's 'our' money btw).

This isn't a joke - one of their representatives dropped in on friends of mine - farmers. And just opened the cheque book - they wanted the land and the rather nice house. My friends declines because they're well off. They could've doubled or even trebled their money - the cheque book was open. I was completely astonished.

Now they're busy buying up other places. The investor was probably offsetting against tax, Not sure how the whole recycling of surpluses things works.

Edited by gruffydd

Jobs will be provided locally though via construction, services, supplies...

I've come across descriptions of a few specific examples in Mexico, Greece and Africa and Chinese people are used for everything including construction, services and supplies!

You seem to be describing a flight from the dollar. The Chinese have 2.8 trillion dollars burning a hole in their pocket, if they are rushing to buy tangibles with those it's going to be felt everywhere.

Isnt a 'hub', by definition, in the middle of things?

Like lots of distribution centres in Northampton/Daventry/Coventry where the M1/M6/A14 meet. A european 'hub' would surely be in luxembourg or germany or somewhere.

interesting

the ongoing melting of the northern sea route at the top of northern Russia looks set to open up a international export route for large ships from China to the Atlantic bypassing the suez or Panama canals, being much quicker and cheaper

Ireland is a handy English speaking break of bulk location, with a convenient climate (unlike Iceland for the same purpose) point for accessing Western Europe Markets via sea, and also Eastern seaboard of North america.

edit: the story implies it is just a trading idea - not manufacturing or break of bulk, so maybe I am wrong

Edited by Si1

I've come across descriptions of a few specific examples in Mexico, Greece and Africa and Chinese people are used for everything including construction, services and supplies!

Interesting... though the locals in Athlone would go beserk if that happened!

You seem to be describing a flight from the dollar. The Chinese have 2.8 trillion dollars burning a hole in their pocket, if they are rushing to buy tangibles with those it's going to be felt everywhere.

Anyone else seeing weird stuff in their locales? Perhaps this is happening in a major way. Inflationary or what!

Edited by gruffydd

interesting

the ongoing melting of the northern sea route at the top of northern Russia looks set to open up a international export route for large ships from China to the Atlantic bypassing the suez or Panama canals, being much quicker and cheaper

Ireland is a handy English speaking break of bulk location, with a convenient climate (unlike Iceland for the same purpose) point for accessing Western Europe Markets via sea, and also Eastern seaboard of North america.

edit: the story implies it is just a trading idea - not manufacturing or break of bulk, so maybe I am wrong

Athlone is in the middle of the Island - I was thinking somewhere like Shannon would've been a far more logical choice - got me wondering about the whole scheme? Is it all really a bit of charade?