House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ganymede

Newsnight Tonight 10:30 Bbc2

I'm not as convinced as I was about this whole dramatic Peak Oil theory. I used to think:

We'll Peak Oil by 2010, causing a daily global auction of the available oil production for that day. The highest bidders will pay $350 a barrel or more (to fill up the Range Rover Vogue SE). The new "real" price of oil - up til now we have been paying the cost of oil - cost to get it out of the ground, will cause worldwide recession, especially in developing countries that are more oil dependent. (China, Thailand, Indonesia etc actually subsidise fuel to promote growth) Both of these factors will push UK inflation up in to double figures, interest rates will have to go up too, causing huge stress to borrowers.

Intensive farming becomes vastly more expensive because the prohibitive cost of oil-based fertilizer / mechanical cultivation / transport, further stoking inflation.

Meantime OPEC (lead by Saudi Arabia where most of the 9/11 bombers came from) will re-denominate their oil in Euros (Iraq tried to do this in Nov 2000, but were delicately 'persuaded' to revert back to dollars), thereby undermining the PetroDollar currency, causing the vast dollar reserves held Japan, China and the Middle East to be sold off. The subsequent collapse in the dollar's value will cause hyper-inflation in the States as the Fed try to print money to get them out of the massive debt hole they've dug themselves, and to prevent a run on the banks.

Saudi Arabia and Iran will be intact because no one is giving the US the dollars it needs to wage war on them any more. The US empire will try more and more military aggression in the new era of 'resource wars', supported by irate SUV owners at home. But it will over-extend due to lack of cash and soon collapse in on itself. Subsistence farming is resumed. The End. [/b]

Alternatively, the economists could win:

World growth is held back by the continued high price of oil, reducing demand, meantime the price will allow more oil to be produced from tar sands etc and make the peak production last for 30 years. Allbeit at a high price of perhaps $100 per barrel. During this time the search for advanced energy sources will feverish and economically rewarding.

These 'known unkown' energy sources will not contribute to global warming.

Disaster averted, everyone lives happer ever after. The End.

(edited for typos n stuff)

Edited by no accountant

Gawd! The fuel protestor bloke was a complete numb-head! Luckily Paxman made him look even more stupid than he was managing to do himself.

The government stooge was like a character from 1984 or Brazil. Regurgitating spin.

The guy from the new economics foundation was doing really well until he said that hurricane katrina was like god trying to send us a message!

I didn't realise that the sheeple were already panic buying fuel. Muppets. We're REALLY addicted to this oil stuff you know. Frightening!

Guest Bart of Darkness
Gawd! The fuel protestor bloke was a complete numb-head!

At least the fuel protestors were accurately reperesented then!

Classic line from Brazil:

Sam Lowry: I only know you got the wrong man.

Jack Lint: Information Transit got the wrong man. I got the *right* man. The wrong one was delivered to me as the right man, I accepted him on good faith as the right man. Was I wrong?

champions league has started. sponsored by ?? heiniken and playstaion 2 ??

are we children then who drink ? what are we. are we men. or do we like toy games.? im lost here. wheres the axe. woods and all the hot chicks i was promised when i watched ferris buellers day off and riskey business. hot sh1t....

Edited by right_freds_dead

Guest Riser
Gawd! The fuel protestor bloke was a complete numb-head! Luckily Paxman made him look even more stupid than he was managing to do himself.

The government stooge was like a character from 1984 or Brazil. Regurgitating spin.

The guy from the new economics foundation was doing really well until he said that hurricane katrina was like god trying to send us a message!

I didn't realise that the sheeple were already panic buying fuel. Muppets. We're REALLY addicted to this oil stuff you know. Frightening!

It looked to me as though the government threat to take away hauliers license if they participated in the protests had hit home. The guy said he had been asked to speak for around 30 companies and was only doing it because the others were afraid of the consequences.

I see a link between the squeeze on profits faced by the hauliers and farmers with the shortage in refining capacity in States. News night reported that the profit in refining had squeezed to the point where development of new refineries could no longer be justified. In both cases the position of the customers i.e. the Oil companies and Supermarkets have become so strong that they have strangled their supply chains to the point of collapse.

I believe the true cause of today’s problems with fuel, hauliers, and farmers is the multi national companies who have a monopoly over their suppliers of products and services. The next step would appear to be the expansion of these companies further down the supply chain cutting out the independent players all together. This weeks fuel protests will simply postpone the inevitable demise of independent traders in these areas.

Edited by Riser

I was told that the fuel protests are nothing to do with vat that we're paying....but a smokescreen for foreign hauliers protesting about paying this tax? Or something along those lines anyway.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Guest magnoliawalls
I believe the true cause of today’s problems with fuel, hauliers, and farmers is the multi national companies who have a monopoly over their suppliers of products and services. The next step would appear to be the expansion of these companies further down the supply chain cutting out the independent players all together. This weeks fuel protests will simply postpone the inevitable demise of independent traders in these areas.

I do not see why these companies would expand further down the supply chain as that would increase their risks and the profits are low. Why pay a living wage and provide decent working conditions when you don't need to?

Take dairy farming - many farmers currently operate at a loss as the supermarkets and processors keep their costs down. Why would the supermarkets want to cut out these independent players? You have a near perfectly competitive farming sector selling to what is effectively a cartel. Like oil refining, dairy farms involve major capital investment and the farmers have little alternative but to keep going until they go to the wall.

Now I'm really worried. Just went to watch the programme on the BBC website to find this;

"Unfortunately we cannot make the Monday, 12 Sept edition of Newsnight available online because of copyright problems."

Off to fill the car with fuel..................

On the issue of cartels small petrol stations have been closing at a rapid rate round here for the last few years, most of the supermarket stations went in over 5 years ago. I wonder what the "in-the-tank-and available-for pumping" supply levels are right now compared to 2000, could be a lot less.

We warned, this is not like last time, we now have new rules to shoot anyone considered to be acting in a way considered to be a terrorist.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/transport/article312221.ece

"We cannot have food and petrol being blockaded, and the public understand that," a senior ministerial source said. "We are quite serious about this. Unlike the last time we had the fuel protests, many petrol stations have closed and the supermarkets are a much more important factor. We won't let them close."

The army plans to use heavy vehicles to remove blockading lorries and ministers will be told anti-terror laws could be used to stop the country being held to ransom by the protesters.

We warned, this is not like last time, we now have new rules to shoot anyone considered to be acting in a way considered to be a terrorist.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/transport/article312221.ece

Dicky, timely, confirmed what I thought about supply levels on the forecourt.

Campaigners who are planning to disrupt traffic with a go-slow on the M4 tomorrow yesterday said the port of Dover could also be targeted

Now that would be ineffectual on the strip of M4 that I go along reguarly - sodding roadworks peppered all the way along on it with no activity at the weekends and 40mph limits.

Edited by OnlyMe

Now that would be ineffectual on the strip of M4 that I go along reguarly - sodding roadworks peppered all the way along on it with no activity at the weekends and 40mph limits.

Look at it this way. With a bit of luck those huge trucks will all get caught up in the road works, never to be seen again. :D That way we'll be able to get from A to B without getting bullied by some ignorant 40 tonner (and that's just the driver :lol: )!

Personnally I hope the government wins this one.

I would like to see them cut taxes on alternative fuels to help get them up and running. We need clean, renewable fuels. Keeping fossil fuel cheap is hardly going to encourage new technologies and the much needed infrastructure to be developed.

The army plans to use heavy vehicles to remove blockading lorries

It would be quite amusing to watch the lorry drivers get their fat ar5es spanked by the army!

edited: bloomin' keyboard!

Edited by Bear Goggles