House Price Crash Forum

Christmas High Street Sales To Rise By 3Pc As Shoppers Have Final Fling, Says Bdo

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8116105/Christmas-high-street-sales-to-rise-by-3pc-as-shoppers-have-final-fling-says-BDO.html

The sales growth will be just below the 3.2pc growth seen on the high street last Christmas, according to a report by BDO, the accountancy firm.

Predictions of solid growth over the five weeks between November 29 and January 2 will come as a relief to retailers who had feared that the festive season would be a washout as shoppers hold back due to concerns over their household budgets.

BDO said that, while this Christmas will be far from bumper, it should attract relatively heavy spending from consumers.

"It may sound like a cliché but Christmas always comes every year and consumers pretty well always spend more every year whatever the state of the economy. Even in 2008 after the collapse of Lehmans and the financial meltdown that saw sales fall off the proverbial cliff in the autumn, consumers still spent relatively heavily at Christmas," the company said.

BDO added that the consumer economy has been more benign in 2010 than many observers imagined it would be. "2010 has felt like a bit of a phoney war. Throughout the year the consumer has largely been sheltered from the full effects of the downturn due to low interest rates and constrained levels of unemployment. As a result retail spending has held up much better than expected," it said.

Yep the past is a clear indicator of what will happen in the future. It's the perfect future prediction machine.

I'm sure the free money we can expect next year will help to stimulate demand....

HOLA442

people save all year to spend at christmas.

people also run up more debt at christmas.

Our local pub ALREADY has christmas dinner with all the trimmings menu....serving from November 1st.

All things being equal, spending will be up.

HOLA443
BDO added that the consumer economy has been more benign in 2010 than many observers imagined it would be. "2010 has felt like a bit of a phoney war. Throughout the year the consumer has largely been sheltered from the full effects of the downturn due to
low interest rates and constrained levels of unemployment. As a result retail spending has held up
much better than expected," it said

Sums up where we are beautifully.

No HPC* until this changes. U-turn on 20% VAT in the pipeline perhaps?

*20% down in one year--YoY comparison. IMO, we will be down about 15% this year--at least that is what I am seeing locally.

HOLA444
BDO added that the consumer economy has been more benign in 2010 than many observers imagined it would be. "2010 has felt like a bit of a phoney war. Throughout the year the consumer has largely been sheltered from the full effects of the downturn due to
low interest rates and constrained levels of unemployment. As a result retail spending has held up
much better than expected," it said

Sums up where we are beautifully.

No HPC* until this changes. U-turn on 20% VAT in the pipeline perhaps?

*20% down in one year--YoY comparison. IMO, we will be down about 15% this year--at least that is what I am seeing locally.

Buying stuff from Amazon, orders for last 8 mnths are being turned around within 12hrs and often quicker - also getting next day delivery most times using the free delivery service.

2 yrs ago it would take 1 - 2 days for orders to be turned around with a full 3-5 day delivery wait.

I can't see them being that busy and it's the media talking up the feelgood.

'They' are 'at it' around the Globe this year - desperately trying to talk fractions of a percent rises up!

HOLA445

Buying stuff from Amazon, orders for last 8 mnths are being turned around within 12hrs and often quicker - also getting next day delivery most times using the free delivery service.

2 yrs ago it would take 1 - 2 days for orders to be turned around with a full 3-5 day delivery wait.

I can't see them being that busy and it's the media talking up the feelgood.

'They' are 'at it' around the Globe this year - desperately trying to talk fractions of a percent rises up!

same with Crucial Memory....3-5 days service ALWAYS comes next day...FOC of course.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I am spending around 80% less than 2008, just be glad I am not making a present for any of you lot, disappointment looms for family members :D. Next year will be an orange and a stick of rock at this rate :lol: .

Edit: oops i was skint 2009 forgot!

Edited by pathfinder

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I am spending around 80% less than 2008, just be glad I am not making a present for any of you lot, disappointment looms for family members :D. Next year will be an orange and a stick of rock at this rate :lol: .

Edit: oops i was skint 2009 forgot!

I've run out of things to spend on.

I'm quite happy to come in from work with a 4 pack of beer and do bugger all but sit there and drink it. When i do get dragged to the shops i see stuff i think i want but always seem to talk myself out of buying them. My whole attitude to money has changed since interest rates went from 5.75% to 0.25%. I used to enjoy going out spending my free money.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417