House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Wales V Oz In Cardiff,stands Half Empty,any Of The Welsh Hpcers Know Why?

England tickets are hard to get. Normally range between £40 and £80. They don't go on sale to the public I get tickets through my rugby club you can also get them through England rugby supporters club ballots. Or business hospitality events.

I'm surprised the millienium stadium was so empty, can't imagine why? They are much more rugby mad than the English.

I used to go to matches, but Rugby is a difficult game to watch from far away in the stand. It's not like football. You need close-up replays on TV to be able to follow the game properly. A friend paid £50 for two tickets and went. I heard that tickets for the Ireland game were 100 euros so everybody just stuck two fingers up.

Saw tickets to Cardiff series (all) advertised initially from £25. Was planning to book 4 for Wales v NZ from the official agents, but left it late.

When I went online, the WRU shows there are no tickets available. The best I could find was about £200 each. I thought they were sold out,

Needless to say we will be watching it on the telly. Too bad if it's empty.

Fears Wales is facing tickets crisis

Nov 7 2010 by Sion Morgan, Wales On Sunday

Fears Wales is facing tickets crisis

WELSH rugby clubs are failing to sell their ticket allocations for the autumn internationals as fans struggle in the difficult economic climate.

Just 53,127 fans were at the Millennium Stadium to watch Wales take on Australia yesterday, one of the lowest crowds for a game against a leading nation since the 74,500-seater stadium was built.

At £65 for the best seats in the house, fans say they can’t afford to attend, leaving grassroots clubs facing big losses.

Others have put poor attendance at international rugby matches down to too many games.

Steve France, from Cefn Coed Rugby Club near Merthyr Tydfil, said: “In all the years we have sold Welsh international tickets we have never failed to off-load our allocation.

“But we had 30 or so £60 tickets left for the Australia game and I think next week against South Africa sales are going to be even worse.

“People just cannot afford it at the minute.

“A lot of our sponsors have declined to buy tickets because of the financial climate and because we have to order our allocation in the summer it means we incur the cost of not selling because the WRU do not offer a refund.

“At Cefn Coed we are looking at making a loss of £1,800 which is a lot of money.

“We are now offering money off tickets – we don’t want to do that but it is a last resort to try to make some money back.

“I know that some clubs are even offering a buy one get one free deal, which is incredible.”

Wales’ match against New Zealand at the end of the month is a sell-out, but more than 20,000 seats remained empty yesterday.

Coach Warren Gatland said: “It’s tough times out there for everyone at the moment and those fans who have put their hands in their pockets to support Wales have made a real commitment to the cause.”

Star winger Shane Williams said: “It’s not a surprise the game was not a sell-out given the economic climate. I know how difficult it is out there.

“We hold nothing against the fans – 50,000 is great for me. We give the same commitment whether it’s 5,000, 50,000 or 500,000.

“Sixty-five pounds could be seen as a lot of money in this climate, but I do not want to get involved in that. If it was up to me I would let them in for free, but that is not how it works.”

Tickets are still available for Wales’ game against world champions South Africa on Saturday, plus the game against Fiji six days later.

And the WRU stood firm on their pricing policy.

“Interest in all four of our games has been growing steadily,” said WRU group sales and marketing manager, Craig Maxwell.

“We have a great series of matches in prospect here in Cardiff, and we know the interest is going to continue to build in the weeks ahead as well.

“We were always confident it was only a matter of time before the New Zealand game sold out, and the fans have proved us right.”

Tickets had been appearing on internet auction site Ebay for far more than face value, despite tickets still being on general sale.

But this week, tickets for the Australia game still appearing for sale on the site priced at or below face value.

In England, where the national side also faces four southern hemisphere nations this autumn, the increasing number of international games has been blamed for declining interest.

English clubs’ chief Mark McCafferty said: “We would hate to go the way cricket has gone and find there is such a proliferation of international matches that their importance is lost.

“International matches are top of the tree, it is your premium contest. There is a danger for all of us to go for volume over quality.”

We wandered into a bar that was pretty empty in the centre of cardiff, grabbed pretty much the best seats and watched the game. I was expecting it to be rammed in every pub. Not so.

Loads of touts looking miserable trying to shift tickets aswell. I have no idea why. Warmer at home maybe?

Wot, nobody quoted Bill Clinton yet?

On the last Friday of half term the WRU threw open the Wales team training session at the Millennium Stadium to the public, gratis. Only when we were there, among the 3,000 or so fans who'd also turned up, did we realise it was basically a canny way of trapping a large bunch of fans in one place and giving them the hard sell. "Tickets for the Australia game still available, folks!" etc... I fought my way through the huge queue... to the coffee and hotdogs, and found absolutely no one waiting in line to buy tickets. I bought my pair for the Fiji game (£30 for one adult and one child) and gave the three people behind the counter something to do apart from twiddling their thumbs. I'd still expect tickets to the Six Nations to be hard to get, but the low-stakes Autumn internationals are a pretty clear barometer of how flush the Welsh are feelng (before the cuts actually begin).

What Harry said but it's more than that. It's a total loss of confidence. The days of earning 20k but being willing to spend a fortune on discretionary items is gone. The job might be going and the house won't pay for it either.

Demand will reset and the various unions will price accordingly. As usual twickenham will be packed. outside niche sports like polo it's probably the most affluent mass participation crowd in the uk.

I think it is a number of ronly reasons:

1. Cost - pure and simple they are too expensive.

2. The recession is actually hitting home.

3. Poor publicity for the games even though they now happen every Autumn. In the pat these games were special but they are run of the mill now.

4. Welsh rugby at club level is dying - the regions have trouble filling half their stadiums, the likes of the Scarlets are in a financial mess.

5. Many still perceive the tickets as being sold to a clique in the rugby clubs. But the rugby clubs are dying out also.

6. The regional rugby has been going back for several years. Combine this with the players getting 10K, 200K, etc, per season for pretty dire looking rugby. I was talking with a friend about the Ospreys this week and he commented that, in his opinion, half the team does not look that interested in playing. I agreed with him - so why should we hand over our money to keep these players in BTLs.

7. People fed up with the rugby players preening and pracning or coming out. A lot of blokes would rather go down the pub, have a pint or two and watch it on the telly rather than pay 50 quid or more for a ticket.

8. The girlification of Welsh rugby by the BBC - this fashion of having girlies presenting every sport on the BBC is just so annoying and we tend to switch off. Women - know you place.

Should I go on.

8. The girlification of Welsh rugby by the BBC - this fashion of having girlies presenting every sport on the BBC is just so annoying and we tend to switch off. Women - know you place.

That last one wouldn't stop me going but it does really piss me off.

I heard on the radio yesterday that the WRU had recently upped the prices of tickets. The guy on the radio, a sports presenter, mentioned the price tag of £70. Is that the average price? He said that it would be better if they reduced the price to £40 and get 70 thousand spectators rather than £70 per ticket and 40 thousand watching. I spoke to somebody, my mum actually, about Cardiff last night. She want to something totally unrelated to the rugby. I said it must have been heaving. She said that it wasn't busy at all which is a lot different to what I remember match days being like.

I have a ticket to Eng Aus next Sat at Twickers... £62 and I think that was the cheapest.

Will report back on how full the ground is.

Interestingly they recently dropped the ticket price on a Barbarians match to £10 and they sold out within hours. On that basis it looks like ticket price/disposable income.

Saw tickets to Cardiff series (all) advertised initially from £25. Was planning to book 4 for Wales v NZ from the official agents, but left it late.

When I went online, the WRU shows there are no tickets available. The best I could find was about £200 each. I thought they were sold out,

Needless to say we will be watching it on the telly. Too bad if it's empty.

I thought clubs who didn't sell there tickets just sent them back for a refund. The actual club doesn't earn from it that I am aware of. They just receive an allocation that they offer to their members. My clubs allocation goes pretty quick. You have to apply well in advance for the tickets and it's one per member only. So no taking friends and family.

I paid £25 each for my tickets which is the cheapest i've even paid. It was abnormally quiet everywhere in Cardiff yesterday, even the train back to Swindon was quiet, I guess everyone is finding it difficult at the mo

Oh yeah, more like £29 after ticket master had added their fees (crooks)

Edited by abbot26

I thought clubs who didn't sell there tickets just sent them back for a refund. The actual club doesn't earn from it that I am aware of. They just receive an allocation that they offer to their members. My clubs allocation goes pretty quick. You have to apply well in advance for the tickets and it's one per member only. So no taking friends and family.

I wanted to take the kids to the NZ match. But I must have got in too late. For the South Africa match (where tickets are available on the WRU web site) it would cost about 450-500 squid by the time we paid tickets, fees, vat, transport, etc. That's a lot of dosh for one afternoon, and for not so good seats. It's a bit pricy to me.

I remember that we went to a Barcelona-Malaga football match about 3 years ago in Barcelona and the tickets were about 10 squid each at the gate on the day of the game.

Wales is now the 9th ranked egg-chasing nation.

Didn't realise there were 9 countries that played the god-awful dull game.

Nice if peanut-hugging is finally dying out in Wales.

Do you say that because your country sucks at the game? That's how I feel about football, awful dull game to watch.

Better to play both games, then it's actually good fun.

The drop in attendances at expensive sports events was covered in my Sunday paper's sports supplement yesterday. It mentioned the rugby, and that Man U v Wolves had 30,000 empty seats.

You'd have to pay £25 for one ticket for most Championship level teams to. Yet yesterday I took me and 2 kids to see pro ice hockey for £21 all in (£16 adult, £2.50 kids). They even trusted us to drink beer while watching the game to! And not one foul mouthed oik effing and blinding at the ref (whose decisions the players all respected without arguments/diving etc.).

Do you say that because your country sucks at the game?

No. Wales sucks at the beautiful game as well yet far more people still play and watch it.

Better to play both games, then it's actually good fun.

True. The (only) good thing about rugby is it gives fat,slow-brained people with no co-ordination a sport they can play.

On a related note - anyone else getting peed off with the relentless need to 'Tell a story' prior to any big sporting even on TV ?

Usually with some bloke with a booming voice talking pish. Quite often have the players donned in some sort of gladitorial outfits. Slow motion shots with the chap giving big worded over complicated explanations of what is coming up.

Used to be so much better. Poncy in the extreme. And they seem to be doing it for EVERYTHING these days.