House Price Crash Forum
RichB

Why Are Estate Agents Shut

2 days in the week I can do viewings or talk to estate agents - yet the ******* are all shut for one of them!

Do they not realise that the majority of potential buyers work for a living??

I agree entirely. You work all work - run round on Saturdays doing what you couldnt do during the week, shopping, etc. And then on Sundays when you have the time/motivation to go house hunting - all the agents are closed. Daft if you ask me

Edited by Muskoka

I agree entirely. You work all work - run round on Saturdays doing what you couldnt do during the week, shopping, etc. And then on Sundays when you have the time/motivation to go house hunting - al the agents are closed. Daft if you ask me

The poor souls cant afford to open on sunday.

I thought this thread was "why are etate agents sluts?" I thought that was a better question.

Anyway I walked past 5 estate agents in my town last Saturday and they were dead. About 2 of 6 desks occupied and not a single one even on the phone let alone with customers in. One was even eating his lunch 10:30 am.

Give them something to do.

Withhold your telephone number, call them, and arrange a viewing at a property, then simply don't turn up.

Every week, they need one day to get over the emotional destruction of the previous 6 days. Same soul destroying drill every day, needing to go out and value property higher than they know it can sell at just to get the instruction, whilst at the same time understanding they have just sold a dream to the vendor. A dream that will end up being counter-productive as they struggle to persuade the vendor to reduce after 4 weeks, then 12 weeks, maybe 6 months, 1 year, 2 years. All that time trying to push the over-priced shithole to unrealistic buyers who think the banks still hand out money like it was 2006. Dragging yourself to your rare viewings, already in the knowledge that the twats who are trying to trade up probably don't have any savings or equity, other that based on a notion of some other EA's ridiculous valuation of the buyers home. The seller arrived in a newish beamer....great they think...another mew-d up buyer who will need to sell at a level to clear their debt obligation before they can complete a chain. Then the not so youngish couple come in, lovely people, wanting to get on the ladder, want to see No.56 if it's still available [...it's been available for 18 months...]. The EA casually asks if finance is in place, the couple enthusiastically tell you they are meeting a mortage broker in a few weeks time. The EA just smiles back, and says fine, resisting the need to double facepalm right there and then. What the heck, it's a nice day, takes them along to see the place, no deposit, no bomad, no oip, no chance really. It's not all bad though, some decent prospects to chase up in the afternoon, and if they persuade the vendor on king street to pay for the Rightmove enhanced listing, the extra commision on that might mean they can afford some premium hair gel, rather than the poundstretcher gloop they have being making do with since late-2007.

Every week, they need one day to get over the emotional destruction of the previous 6 days. Same soul destroying drill every day, needing to go out and value property higher than they know it can sell at just to get the instruction, whilst at the same time understanding they have just sold a dream to the vendor. A dream that will end up being counter-productive as they struggle to persuade the vendor to reduce after 4 weeks, then 12 weeks, maybe 6 months, 1 year, 2 years. All that time trying to push the over-priced shithole to unrealistic buyers who think the banks still hand out money like it was 2006. Dragging yourself to your rare viewings, already in the knowledge that the twats who are trying to trade up probably don't have any savings or equity, other that based on a notion of some other EA's ridiculous valuation of the buyers home. The seller arrived in a newish beamer....great they think...another mew-d up buyer who will need to sell at a level to clear their debt obligation before they can complete a chain. Then the not so youngish couple come in, lovely people, wanting to get on the ladder, want to see No.56 if it's still available [...it's been available for 18 months...]. The EA casually asks if finance is in place, the couple enthusiastically tell you they are meeting a mortage broker in a few weeks time. The EA just smiles back, and says fine, resisting the need to double facepalm right there and then. What the heck, it's a nice day, takes them along to see the place, no deposit, no bomad, no oip, no chance really. It's not all bad though, some decent prospects to chase up in the afternoon, and if they persuade the vendor on king street to pay for the Rightmove enhanced listing, the extra commision on that might mean they can afford some premium hair gel, rather than the poundstretcher gloop they have being making do with since late-2007.

Thats poetry - one of the funniest posts i've read for a while!

+1

Most EAs in my area used to open up every Sunday pretty much from around 2003-2008. I guess it is not economically viable for them to open up on Sundays as there are fewer buyers now than when credit was free and easy.

I think they are all in church, praying a lot! :huh:

Shut 1 day a week. More like they are shut 7 days a week. Compared to the US, agents in the UK are exceedingly lazy, provide no real information or service and do nothing in terms of useful data analysis. I usually know more about their property than they do. Its not unusual to phone and ask things like - 'what are the garden measurements - to be told 'no idea' or something crass like' I think its about 1/3 of an acre' - a remark that always collapses under further scrutiny.

Its incredible that so many hard working businesses are having a hard time yet the most valueless industry just seems to swan along. The biggest barrier to the market are the agents - the government should ban the lot of them.

2 days in the week I can do viewings or talk to estate agents - yet the ******* are all shut for one of them!

Do they not realise that the majority of potential buyers work for a living??

since when could someone who has a job afford a house?

I walked past one of the 'big shot' Swindon EA's yesterday afternoon, I stopped briefly to look at the overpriced tat in their window that hasn't changed in months, almost choked when I read the glossy add that said 'now is the best time to buy' (yeah course it is mate) and then noticed that there was just 1 dipstick in there behind her desk happily playing on her iPhone, no customers, just her and 6 other empty desks.

What a wonderful sight, the more the slug like EA's suffer the better, serves the unqualified, moral shy shits right for milking the housing market dry for a decade!!

The office boy takes the one-bar electric fire home for the weekend.