House Price Crash Forum
gazwheat

Will I Miss The Gold Bull?

I have recently STR and plan to invest some of my capital in Gold. My house sale doesn't complete until the 19th of this month so I have no money to invest yet.

I'm getting a bit concerned that I am going to miss the Gold Bull and pay too much too late.

Any views on this please? :huh:

As someone whose name I've forgotten once said: 'there'll always be another chance to lose your money'.

Personally I see gold more as an insurance policy than an investment: I don't think it's particularly undervalued right now, but if faith in government declines, it will go up.

Why do people think that gold might go up?

Its not like that there are gold bullion merchants on the highstreet for Joe public to go and buy gold bars (in the UK).

Guest Riser
Why do people think that gold might go up?

Its not like that there are gold bullion merchants on the highstreet for Joe public to go and buy gold bars (in the UK).

Who says?

Baird and Co

Baird & Co.

137 High St.,

London E15 2RB.

Tel: 0208 555 5217

Fax: 0208 534 3583

Baird & Co.

24 St. Cross St.,

Hatton Garden,

London EC1N 8UH.

Tel: 020 7 831 2838.

Baird & Co.

5th Floor,

82 Mitchell St.,

Glasgow G1 3NA.

Tel: 0141 248 5646.

Fax:  0141 248 5627

Edited by Riser

Do all Baird and Co locations keep gold on site??

If you walked in with £10k would they be able to service you??

also what details do they take or do they just give youa receipt like any other you purchase on the high street??

Guest Riser

also what details do they take or do they just give youa receipt like any other you purchase on the high street??

Probably easiest to give them a call.

Any single purchase over 5k must be reported to Tax office as does any purchase where the total annual amount exceeds 10k from a single supplier.

Edited by Riser

Any purchase at all must be backed by identification and they keep records (just in case you buy another wedge taking you over 5K p.a.)

Perhaps a much better investment than gold itself may be collectable gold coins especially in top quality condition. In fact any rare coins better than Extra Fine have been doing exceptionally well I believe.

And there're a damn site more interesting :)

Just putting in an objective view - I have no doubt gold will hold onto its value at least.

i meant theres not one gold bullion merchant on every highstreet - as common as H Samuel or the like. Buying shares is pretty easy as there are brokers in the yellow pages, and it can be done online.

Buying gold - is there anyone in everyday life doing it? Are the taxi drivers, chavs, Daily Mail readers buying it ??? Will they start??? Is this the next bubble??

Gold has advanced to $448.350 - I wonder at what point when everyday people and the media are going to sit up and notice.

Edited by trev

Why must it be reported to the tax office??

Surely Gold is tax free??

Or is this to stop money laundering etc??

So whats the best plans... under 5K a year??

Gold is VAT free but not capital gain tax free. Only UK gold coins (Britannias and sovereigns) are, because they are UK currency.

In addition, the Govt wants people to hold paper money, not real money. When someone holds real money (gold) they want to know.

Remember, central banks can print as much paper as they want, which taxes the holders of paper money by stealth (inflation). But gold can't be printed!

Read Alan Greenspan's view on gold (written in 1966):

http://www.321gold.com/fed/greenspan/1966.html

This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard.

And, as far as gold being correctly valued, no way!!! Gold is dirt cheap in terms of oil. One ounce of gold has never bought less oil than today for the last 35 years.

monthlyoil.png

Use 10 to 25% of your capital to buy gold. Either buy britannias and sovereigns, if you can store them safely, or use an allocated gold account. A good one is www.goldmoney.com, but many respectable gold merchants in London provide this service. Stay away from gold futures and unallocated schemes.

Optionally, if you want to speculate, invest up to 5% in mining/natural resources shares - you might want to invest through a fund. A decent one is Merril Lynch Gold & General.

The rest, split equally in Pounds, Euro and Swiss Francs. Use at least three separate and indipendent banks. At least one of them offshore. Switzerland is best, Channel Islands are OK.

You may want to put part of the cash in short term government bonds (up to two years). But stay away from long term bonds, guaranteed equity bonds, corporate bonds, the US dollar and the stock market.

The long term trend has changed, it's now a different game. If you play by the old rules you'll lose big time.

The new rules are: interest rates and inflation up. Real estate and financial assets down. Credit crunch. Flight to quality. Natural resources to the moon. We are already getting a glimpse, but it's not even the beginning.

how do i invest in swiss and euro accounts??

Is there an easy way to get offshore accounts like Jersey in tax free havens??

But yet control them from the UK??

Any reputable??

http://www.barclays.com/internationalpersonal

http://www.offshore.hsbc.com/1/2/internati...re-bank-account

http://www.ubs.com/1/e/ubs_ch/private/accounts.html

http://www.nationwideinternational.com

PS the reason to put the money offshore is not to evade tax, even if there may be some advantages from deferred interest and so on.

The main reason for doing it is safety and the ability to escape capital controls should a financial/banking crisis occur, which is sadly a not so unlikely possibility in the medium term.

Edited by cgnao

Cgnao,

What is the stability of bullion coins.

I use goldline to see what they are selling at.

For example

The nugget 1 oz is priced at £275

the Maple 1oz is now priced at £262

The sovereign is priced at ~£74

What alters the value of these coins??

Is the value determined on the collectability of the coin??

If i bought something like hte maple how do i know it really is what it is?

I feel gullible unless im knowledgeable. Been ridden too many times in too many deals ;-))

Use 10 to 25% of your capital to buy gold.  Either buy britannias and sovereigns, if you can store them safely, or use an allocated gold account.  A good one is www.goldmoney.com, but many respectable gold merchants in London provide this service. Stay away from gold futures and unallocated schemes.

Optionally, if you want to speculate, invest up to 5% in mining/natural resources shares - you might want to invest through a fund.  A decent one is Merril Lynch Gold & General.

The rest, split equally in Pounds, Euro and Swiss Francs.  Use at least three separate and indipendent banks.  At least one of them offshore. Switzerland is best,  Channel Islands are OK.

You may want to put part of the cash in short term government bonds (up to two years).  But stay away from long term bonds, guaranteed equity bonds, corporate bonds, the US dollar and the stock market.

The long term trend has changed, it's now a different game.  If you play by the old rules you'll lose big time. 

The new rules are: interest rates and inflation up.  Real estate and financial assets down. Credit crunch. Flight to quality. Natural resources to the moon.  We are already getting a glimpse, but it's not even the beginning.

I agree with all you say here!

Quite a large portion of my 'wealth' is held in Sterling (as you said in different banks in Guernsey & Isle of Man).

Do you see any possibility of Sterling going to the wall? I mean, let's face it the UK has some serious debt problems, (both private and well as public), wouldn't this lead to a massive sell off of Sterling eventually?

Cheers.

If an armageddon scenario as envisaged by many posters in this thread does emerge brought on presumably by more expensive oil over a sustained period I would imagine that sterling will fare better than other currencies due to UK's residual oil resources and relatively mixed economy.

If an armageddon scenario as envisaged by many posters in this thread does emerge brought on presumably by more expensive oil over a sustained period I would imagine that sterling will fare better than other currencies due to UK's residual oil resources and relatively mixed economy.

Let's hope so!

Although, I live in Hong Kong and we can now easily open an account at HSBC and save RMB (the People's Currency no less!).

RMB might sound silly right now.......but in the long term?

Still, in the meantime, I am going to stick with my Gold bullion coins and hang on to my Sterling.

Thanks for the advice.

Any purchase at all must be backed by identification and they keep records (just in case you buy another wedge taking you over 5K p.a.)

That is simply not true. I walked in, bought 3 krugerrands and 3 kilo bars of silver and was not asked for ID. Just wrote down my details on the receipt, which wasn't even my full name, address with no postcode, which i could have made up, payed by cash and walked out.

I think it depends on the dealer. Certainly Bairds and ATS Bullion in London just ask for your name and address but you can tell them anything you want, no proof of ID needed as long as it's under 5K

Edited by nobody

3 kruggerands and 3 kilos of silver is probably under a £1k though

Back to my original question

What holds up the value of a gold coin???

What is likely to affect its price in the short/long term??

IE

The Australian nugget 1 oz is priced at £275

the canadian Maple 1oz is now priced at £262

The british sovereign is priced at ~£74

IE

The value of a coin can be equated to:

intrinsic gold value + rarity + fabrication cost

So a gold coin will generally always cost more than the spot gold price to the bod in the street.

The nugget is possibly rarer than the maple or costs more to initially mint.

A sovereign contains 0.2354 oz of pure gold so is priced accordingly.

Edited by mongoose

IE

Its just over £1300 for 3 coins and 3 silver bars. Best to buy bit by bit, during the dips.

Also advisable is to put 10-15% of your portfolio in Gold. If you had 100k you wouldnt buy 50k of gold. Its not for investment, its for protection.

Stick with 1oz Krugers and Maple coins. Unless your a coin collector, why pay so much over the spot price of an ounce of gold ?

Good luck