House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
right_freds_dead

Belfast Riots Lower Prices In Ulster

just as the bbc were proclaiming great property opportunitiues in ulster.....whats with the new riots in belfast ? its like we stepped back into a really dark time. i though these two lots had got over the differences ? i guess not. what a tinder box.

too much focus on dead history than a future for their children.

havent they got anything better to do than smash the streets up ?

i met some ultermen in manchester a while ago. they were alright and here for the uni, but all they could bang on about was "1788..and this and that...and go on about braveheart"

i thought - give it up. its in the focking past man. your 22.

just as the bbc were proclaiming great property opportunitiues in ulster.....whats with the new riots in belfast ? its like we stepped back into a really dark time. i though these two lots had got over the differences ? i guess not. what a tinder box.

too much focus on dead history than a future for their children.

havent they got anything better to do than smash the streets up ?

i met some ultermen in manchester a while ago. they were alright and here for the uni, but all they could bang on about was "1788..and this and that...and go on about braveheart"

i thought - give it up. its in the focking past man. your 22.

It looks like it is on the brink of civil war as the loyalists throw their toys out of the pram. Life just ain't the same since catholics were allowed to apply for jobs.....

i dont see the catholic / protestant thing myself. i reckon manchester must have a large mix of both, but it just doesnt come into it. they see themselves as simply mancunians as thats where they were born. their position is not dependent on the bitter history as manchester and liverpool had some really hard times too.

i think ulstermen like to fight and shout and bully each other.

Stop generalising , the people in the weekends riots are only a small minority.

im not generalising.

the middle class lads i spoke to blamed the troubles on the 'scallies' the roughnecks - the minority- like you are doing.

BUT this is after 30 mins of ulster nonsence, pride and some noted dates in history and four renditions of "I am william wallace...and im 7ft tall..".

so the whole middle core is sided mildly from the getgo. the roughneck rioting minority are even worse and more crude. but there is quiet empathy from either side of the middle class. even if they do not act. its as it is.

i was just dissapointed thats all.

i dont see the catholic / protestant thing myself. i reckon manchester must have a large mix of both, but it just doesnt come into it. they see themselves as simply mancunians as thats where they were born. their position is not dependent on the bitter history as manchester and liverpool had some really hard times too.

i think ulstermen like to fight and shout and bully each other.

im not generalising.

the middle class lads i spoke to blamed the troubles on the 'scallies' the roughnecks - the minority- like you are doing.

BUT this is after 30 mins of ulster nonsence, pride and some noted dates in history and four renditions of "I am william wallace...and im 7ft tall..".

so the whole middle core is sided mildly from the getgo. the roughneck rioting minority are even worse and more crude. but there is quiet empathy from either side of the middle class. even if they do not act. its as it is.

Of course you're generalising. Some of the nicest guys (and gals) I've ever met are from Belfast. They're as sick of it as you are, but unfortunately are labeled as bigots by generalisations they can't escape from.

im not generalising.

True, if the middle class people of NI didnt want the troubles, then it wouldnt happen. I think its because they all eat too much red meat.

At least it wont do any favours for HPI. Halifax wont be able to base their findings of 3% growth in September on rising prices there and publish the figures as nationwide.

im not generalising.

I think you're muddling your English colonies here - I'm not sure why ardent Ulster Unionists would be lauding a Scottish separatist, nationalist hero.

Maybe you mean William of Orange??

Edited by Leodhasach

Of course you're generalising. Some of the nicest guys (and gals) I've ever met are from Belfast. They're as sick of it as you are, but unfortunately are labeled as bigots by generalisations they can't escape from.

well im only saying what i saw from experience. when i met them i didnt feel the need to proclaim the virtues and history/battles/ of manchester. and the peterloo massacre. or the 1920 miners strike. they just seemed to take a stand on something that was part of soomeon elses time.

True, if the middle class people of NI didnt want the troubles, then it wouldnt happen. I think its because they all eat too much red meat.

At least it wont do any favours for HPI. Halifax wont be able to base their findings of 3% growth in September on rising prices there and publish the figures as nationwide.

no. it'll be the last thing on their minds. what a ballache.

if this carries on then there are people who are alive and well today who will be maimed and dead tomorrow.

who are they ?

what are those people doing RIGHT NOW ?

I'm from Belfast, and I'm vegetarian...! ;)

well im only saying what i saw from experience. when i met them i didnt feel the need to proclaim the virtues and history/battles/ of manchester. and the peterloo massacre. or the 1920 miners strike. they just seemed to take a stand on something that was part of soomeon elses time.
Fred, I've heard people from NI saying exactly what you're saying. My point is not everyone in Ulster is a bigot. Agreed there are many, but who can say what the proportion is? Forming opinions about an entire region based-on a few people you've met from there is not going to give you a balanced opinion. Spare a thought for the decent non-bigoted ulstermen who have had to live with the violence for over 30 years.

Fred, I've heard people from NI saying exactly what you're saying. My point is not everyone in Ulster is a bigot. Agreed there are many, but who can say what the proportion is? Forming opinions about an entire region based-on a few people you've met from there is not going to give you a balanced opinion. Spare a thought for the decent non-bigoted ulstermen who have had to live with the violence for over 30 years.

i just wonder from what ive seen from others too, that there is at least some mild alignment of historic allegiance from most residents.

perhaps its best if i took a short holiday there. though i expect id meet a freindly, but avoidance of the discussion in pubs along the coat and if i suggested such topics - a frostiness would follow......

perhaps the lack of talk is incubating the feelings of adoption rather than simply an industrious populace who are more or less brothers.

Edited by right_freds_dead

Well, have you been involved in any of the 'troubles' ? If not I rest my case! :D

yes. every time i pay additional tax to police it and also to repair and compensate losses from actions. i could say "leave them to it" but it would come over here in time. its my concern too.

I think you're muddling your English colonies here - I'm not sure why ardent Ulster Unionists would be lauding a Scottish separatist, nationalist hero.

Maybe you mean William of Orange??

I was thinking the same myself - it'd be the first time Ulster Unionists sang anything about William Wallace! Also, why would they be going on about 1788? Surely it'd be 1690? :blink:

Edited by Scarecrow