House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Let Them Eat Cheese: Anger As Ireland Plans Handouts Of Cheddar To The Poor

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/nov/05/ireland-recession-let-them-eat-cheese

The country may be a few heartbeats away from intervention by the International Monetary Fund but today the Irish government had a novel message for the public: let them eat cheese.

Brendan Smith, the agriculture minister, announced a European Union-funded scheme today that will enable the country to tuck into the EU's cheese mountain. 53 tonnes of fresh cheddar will be distributed from 15 November with collection centres in towns and cities around the country.

The minister said the scheme was "an important means of contributing towards the well-being of the most deprived citizens in the community".

"I am very conscious that many people find themselves in difficult circumstances at present and I want to commend the work of the many charitable organisations who are working on the front line to bring what comfort and relief they can," said Smith.

The initiative was immediately attacked by the opposition Fine Gael party, who called it an insult to the country, which is suffering the worst financial crisis in its history.

Looks like it won't be a cheeseless recovery...

This is so obviously an attempt to spin the plight of the poor: marshal them to a depot where government photographers are waiting. Then, one by one ask them what they've come for:

say_cheese.jpg

"cheese"

They're crackers if they think the Irish will put up with that. They need to adopt a more mature approach to feeding their nation. Even if they are between a Roquefort and a hard place.

Seriously though, they actually have a pretty good cheese industry of their own, but I guess they want to F that up that too. Irish beef has been on special in the super markets I noticed.

The country may be a few heartbeats away from intervention by the International Monetary Fund but today the Irish government had a novel message for the public: let them eat cheese.

It's hardly novel - they gave out government cheese in the USA in the 1980s.