House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Libertine

Panic Buying In Stockport

Seems like the fun has already started....at least, if Morrissons in Stockport is anything to go by.

I passed it five minutes ago and they're queuing off the forecourt and round the car-park.

94.9 p/l 4* & 96.9 p/l diesel

Is this happening anywhere else ? :unsure:

Seems like the fun has already started....at least, if Morrissons in Stockport is anything to go by.

I passed it five minutes ago and they're queuing off the forecourt and round the car-park.

Is this happening anywhere else ?  :unsure:

big queues at Morrisons, near Boroughbridge (N Yorks)

(I was in it !!!)

Guest Riser
big queues at Morrisons, near Boroughbridge (N Yorks)

(I was in it !!!)

Blairs Broadcasting Coorporation are playing down reports of panic buying. No surprise there then, most have seen month after month of BBC spin about house prices stabalising, having a soft landing, reaching a new plateau, whatever.....

Edited by Riser

So, there's panic buying because people are panic buying? There is no blocade and HGV drivers have been warned that they could lose their licence if the block roads or terminals.

If people are that stupid then I have no sympathy for them waiting in queues for hours. The prospect of peak oil does not, repeat not, necessitate panic buying today.

If anyone has been manipulating the public, it is people like that fat tw*t Spence and his band of overweight lorry drivers, in collaboration with the Dail Mail. They are trying to create a situation that would not otherwise exist. Fortunately, this time round, the public will not be fooled into supporting their reactionary and selfish protest.

How far behind the cost per barrel is the price at the pumps? A couple of weeks or so? If that's the case then we're not at the peak yet.

Personally, I'm OK (so far) as I have a full tank anyway and no plans to use the car until Thursday. I can also get my petrol at 6am when I finsh work as it will be fairly quiet.

So, there's panic buying because people are panic buying? There is no blocade and HGV drivers have been warned that they could lose their licence if the block roads or terminals.

If people are that stupid then I have no sympathy for them waiting in queues for hours. The prospect of peak oil does not, repeat not, necessitate panic buying today.

If anyone has been manipulating the public, it is people like that fat tw*t Spence and his band of overweight lorry drivers, in collaboration with the Dail Mail. They are trying to create a situation that would not otherwise exist. Fortunately, this time round, the public will not be fooled into supporting their reactionary and selfish protest.

Great example of how herd mentality and sentiment work in the real world.

For those thsat doubt what moves markets take a look at this, there is no fuel shortage and people are panic buying.

I look forward to the panic selling of the BTLer's property's :lol:

Blairs Broadcasting Coorporation are playing down reports of panic buying. No surprise there then, most have seen month after month of BBC spin about house prices stabalising, having a soft landing, reaching a new plateau, whatever.....

Well what do you want the BBC to do - have Huw Edwards jump over his desk grab the camera and say into it "for the love of god go out and buy fuel before it all runs out, we're ruined" and then lie down on the floor start blubbering about how he couldn't get any fuel this morning.

Sorry but the BBC are actaully being sensible - unlike all the sheeple panic buying petrol.

So, there's panic buying because people are panic buying?

So you'd rather risk running out of petrol during the week than queue for a few minutes to ensure you have enough to do your job?

Around here there aren't even any queues.

Fortunately, this time round, the public will not be fooled into supporting their reactionary and selfish protest.

'Reactionary and selfish'? You sound like a 'student protestor' out of a bad 70s sit-com. Do you really think that 'the public' won't benefit from lower fuel prices? Maybe you think they like paying some of the highest prices for petrol on the planet?

That said, I don't support them this time either: the fuel price escalator was one of Major's most absurdly stupid policies, and needed to be killed. Today's higher fuel price is unfortunately not the government's fault.

Great example of how herd mentality and sentiment work in the real world.

For those thsat doubt what moves markets take a look at this, there is no fuel shortage and people are panic buying.

I look forward to the panic selling of the BTLer's property's  :lol:

i was going to say may as well beat them at their own game and go queue up or miss out.

but markg beat me to it....

blast !! i missed out..

So you'd rather risk running out of petrol during the week than queue for a few minutes to ensure you have enough to do your job?

'Reactionary and selfish'? You sound like a 'student protestor' out of a bad 70s sit-com. Do you really think that 'the public' won't benefit from lower fuel prices? Maybe you think they like paying some of the highest prices for petrol on the planet?

That said, I don't support them this time either: the fuel price escalator was one of Major's most absurdly stupid policies, and needed to be killed. Today's higher fuel price is unfortunately not the government's fault.

The people who need to make essential journeys will benefit. The remaining 80% will be encouraged to be fatter, unhealthier and lazier by cheap petrol prices. The rest of us who take the bus or ride bikes will be held up in enormous queues of cars containing one selfish individual who needs to get home by 5.30 in case they miss Neighbours.

Bring on £2 a litre!!!

Edited by Leodhasach

'There's no panic buying' says the BBC. Well that's started it! :lol:

I have two cars. The one my lad is learning to drive in (my wife's :)) and my own. I filled his/her's up last night. It was 90.9p/l and an empty forecourt. Today I've just gone back to ASDA to fill up mine. Forecourt's a car park, and it's gone up to 92.9p/l.

Do I care if they have this fuel blockade? Not really. I work from home so it won't affect me much.

Should they bring the price of fuel down? If they do (ie less duty) they will need to put it on income tax. It cuts both ways.

But now I have a full tank of fuel and no need to drive. I'm going to enjoy the fun!

:lol::lol:

'There's no panic buying' says the BBC. Well that's started it!  :lol:

I have two cars. The one my lad is learning to drive in (my wife's :)) and my own. I filled his/her's up last night. It was 90.9p/l and an empty forecourt. Today I've just gone back to ASDA to fill up mine. Forecourt's a car park, and it's gone up to 92.9p/l.

Do I care if they have this fuel blockade? Not really. I work from home so it won't affect me much.

Should they bring the price of fuel down? If they do (ie less duty) they will need to put it on income tax. It cuts both ways.

But now I have a full tank of fuel and no need to drive. I'm going to enjoy the fun!

:lol:  :lol:

same here. its like the house price crash in fast forward....

i even have loads of mod ration packs and water....and a shotgun....those fockers come near me or my rations and ill blast them clean through the hessian door of my inner citadel.......

Don't know what's happening around here (Swindon) today as I don't pass any garages on the way in to work. But on Friday my local Asda had a sign up saying they'd run out of unleaded, there were queues outside another garage, and another had nearly all of the unleaded pumps out of action. Guess panic buying started early round here.

Is this happening anywhere else ?  :unsure:

The rest of us who take the bus or ride bikes will be held up in enormous queues of cars containing one selfish individual who's needs to get home by 5.30 in case they miss Neighbours.

Or the government could take some of that huge pile of petrol tax they collect every year and build a road network worthy of a developed nation so we don't get 'enormous queues of cars'.

And they could also make bus companies pay tax on their fuel, rather than have taxpayers subsidise selfish bus passengers by a billion or two a year.

As always MarkG, you sound like a less intelligent version of Simon Heffer. Motoring in this country is far cheaper in real terms than ever before. As you rightly point out, the fuel tax escalator was introduced by the last (in more than one way) Tory government. Gordon Brown stopped the escalator, incorrectly IMO, after the last protests.

No I don't think the public will benefit from lower fuel prices. Using fuel more efficiently, getting rid of 4x4s (what IS the point of them?) and maybe walking, or cycling that o.25 miles to the shops for a pint of milk would be beneficial. Sending more goods by rail, or canal rather than lorry (which then comes back empty) would be good for the environment. Its hardly rocket science, it doesn't affect quality of life, apart from making it better.

Oil is finite. If we use too much oil, it will run out more quickly. Our present life styles are unsustainable. Small changes now will reduce the shock of painful adjustments in the future.

by the way, i was a fan of Citizen Smith.

Or the government could take some of that huge pile of petrol tax they collect every year and build a road network worthy of a developed nation so we don't get 'enormous queues of cars'.

It's been shown time and time again - build free-to-use roads and the traffic simply expands to fill them.

And they could also make bus companies pay tax on their fuel, rather than have taxpayers subsidise selfish bus passengers by a billion or two a year.

Or everyone who does non-essential driving could stop and therefore not pay their billions in tax. For most drivers, the tax on fuel is as avoidable as the tax on cigarettes.