House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PricedOutNative

Bang Goes Another Jet Engine

What type were the engines!

The Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service has an extremely good safety record! :huh:

Well at least this time it's a Boeing, pretty much all faiures i've seen recently have been Airbus's. Lets also hope it's not a rolls royce engine!

What's the ash cloud like from the indonesian volcano doing in the area?

Another Rolls Royce engine too...

Looks like the trade war is getting overt! Like the US government did to Toyota last year when there was nothing wrong with it..... I mean American brands and companies never fail right ;)

Time to buy general electric shares?

Slightly off at a tangent, I used to deliver aircraft engines after servicing (when they need servicing they take them out and slot a newly serviced engine in, so downtime is only half a day) and I once took an engine to Bratislava.

When I got there, they said "We might not need it, it's just a back-up in case the engine we have fails the bench test" (they run them flat-out for 8 hours on a test rig).

Later that day, they came back and said "Nope, that engine passed, you can take yours back"

So back to London I went. All the way to Slovakia and back for nothing- although obviously my employer and myself got paid full-whack.

Anyone seen this, the engine type in question going bang;

From memory they destroy an engine for every new model to make sure the outer integrity isn't compromised.

I think they have a way to make some of the rotors snap off internally (small charge?).. hence you don't see anything enter the engine.

RR shares have dropped from 660 to 590 so not looking great.. British industry ain't having a good time at the moment :(

From memory they destroy an engine for every new model to make sure the outer integrity isn't compromised.

I think they have a way to make some of the rotors snap off internally (small charge?).. hence you don't see anything enter the engine.

If I remember rightly this test is highly technical.it consists of a frozen turkey and a catapult.

RR shares have dropped from 660 to 590 so not looking great.. British industry ain't having a good time at the moment :(

RR are in the toilet anyway no dividends since 2004 but thats ok shares only ever go up!

The things I could tell you about Rolls Royce jet engines....

If I wasn't bound by an NDA :ph34r:

Well don't tell us about Rolls Royce engines. Tell us about an engine you may be planning to build yourself in the future, and the potential issues you may have with it.

If I remember rightly this test is highly technical.it consists of a frozen turkey and a catapult.

Cos birds are frozen when they hit engines normally...?

The test is with defrosted birds... a frozen one is not the same at all.

No one mentioned volcano dust yet? Do a380s fly higher to other planes?

The things I could tell you about Rolls Royce jet engines....

If I wasn't bound by an NDA :ph34r:

what , do they make them out of popsicle sticks and old chinese newspapers or something?

Another Rolls Royce engine too...

Looks like the trade war is getting overt! Like the US government did to Toyota last year when there was nothing wrong with it..... I mean American brands and companies never fail right ;)

Time to buy general electric shares?

CIA working on aircraft maintenance now?

What size is the Haynes manual for one of those engines ?

:P

Dunno the thing is jet engines don't have that many working parts, compared to a car engine that is.

Well don't tell us about Rolls Royce engines. Tell us about an engine you may be planning to build yourself in the future, and the potential issues you may have with it.

The turbine gas temperature is 300 degree C higher than the turbine blade melting point in a trent 900. In order to stop the blade melting they have to suck an amount of heat out of it equivalent to the output of an average central heating system - from each of the 92 turbine blades. Whilst they're spinning at 10,000 rpm. Each turbine blade has to be a single crystal or it will disintegrate - most are rejected during manufacturing.

I'm no engineer, and have no idea what is going on here (nor any vested interest), but this does not sound good at all for Rolls Royce. The oldest of these engines have been in service for about two years (I'm assuming that they are only used on this aircraft?) and there have already been identified areas of "excessive wear".

This sounds very bad indeed.

I'm no engineer, and have no idea what is going on here (nor any vested interest), but this does not sound good at all for Rolls Royce. The oldest of these engines have been in service for about two years (I'm assuming that they are only used on this aircraft?) and there have already been identified areas of "excessive wear".

This sounds very bad indeed.

Worth keeping in mind that the two incidents were on very different engine types.

Worth keeping in mind that the two incidents were on very different engine types.

Yes, that's true. I haven't read anything about what happened to the other one, so have no idea whether it's related, but the aviation safety people seem to be saying that the RR Trent engines installed on the A380 are showing excessive wear after only a couple of years or so. This does not sound good.

The turbine gas temperature is 300 degree C higher than the turbine blade melting point in a trent 900. In order to stop the blade melting they have to suck an amount of heat out of it equivalent to the output of an average central heating system - from each of the 92 turbine blades. Whilst they're spinning at 10,000 rpm. Each turbine blade has to be a single crystal or it will disintegrate - most are rejected during manufacturing.

Pah modern jet engines are uber overcomplicated, the Germans out engineered us 60 years ago with the V1 bomb powered by the pulse jet.... imagine that <5 moving parts.

Yes, but I doubt that this one is that much different and relies on 900 type technology. What's the betting the US will stick the knife in and buyout cheap?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-23/rolls-royce-engine-blowout-on-test-bed-shuts-site-used-for-boeing-airbus.html

I'm no engineer, and have no idea what is going on here (nor any vested interest), but this does not sound good at all for Rolls Royce.

I have no idea either, but it wouldn't happen to be outsourced engineering plus accountants and MBAs replacing engineers are managers, would it?

CIA working on aircraft maintenance now?

BP oil disaster, RR engines mysteriously catching fire. Industrial sabotage is alive and well.

Let's hope the Indians buy those 136 Eurofighters, thus giving Boeing a poke in the eye!