House Price Crash Forum
EarlGrey

Bbc Radio 4 Living Cheap

I just listened to this, and the first half was pretty good (summary: the baby-boomers screwed subsequent generations): then it gets a bit silly, to be honest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vky79/Off_the_Page_Living_Cheap/

Blurb:

"My name is David Collins. I'm 69 years old and I live in an almshouse."

Everyone tells us we are living in tough times, so three guests explain what that means for them. David Collins is an actor who has found a medieval sounding solution - an almshouse - to the big squeeze. Laurie Penny is a 23 year-old recent graduate who writes for free on her blog Penny Red, and until recently was living in a house she described as a scene from 'Withnail and I.' And Pauline Black, the lead singer of the Selector, resists the charge that it was her baby boomer generation that has spent all the money and messed up the economy for everyone else.

Oh this must be what I woke up to this morning. Only caught a bit of it :)

But was amusing = her rant about sofa gurus... (aka Mr Lewis I think)

The bit where she says "no body expected the recession"... though I remember now...

Edited by SarahBell

Bloody hell, very good.

Makes a change to have a normal young person on as well, I found my self completely in agreement with them!

I didn't.

She thinks she has it bad on 51 quid a week.

How old is she?

I got 25 quid a week when I was a doley gradudate in early 90s.

(Ok £51.85 per week for those aged 16-24, and £65.45 for those aged over 25. )

I think she's just one who's been sold the dream they can live in London ...

Not knowing what to do when there's mice/rat in the house strikes me as being particularly silly - the council do rats for free....

Bloody hell, very good.

Makes a change to have a normal young person on as well, I found my self completely in agreement with them!

It makes you realise just how big the gap is between the baby boomer generation and 20somethings these days.

It makes you realise just how big the gap is between the baby boomer generation and 20somethings these days.

I would love to see some sort of "Generation Swap" programme modelled on Wife Swap, but where average people from different generations have to live one another's lives for a couple of weeks.

I would love to see some sort of "Generation Swap" programme modelled on Wife Swap, but where average people from different generations have to live one another's lives for a couple of weeks.

Didn't they do that one, with Portillo slumming it with a potless family recently?

An very interesting chat but there could have been a few more practical ideas. Electric blankets are very cheap on energy, thermal clothes, layering clothes, roll your owns, brew your own, split matches in two to make them last twice as long. No mention that identical clothes can cost a fraction depending on the outlet - just for the label - in fact sometimes cheaper is better quality. It would have been interesting to hear how to avoid energy costs (homeless to get a job at Morrisons to keep warm :P ) and council tax and accomodation costs (sharing etc was touched on in passing) and such like but being the BBC I guess such subjects would be barred and the others aren't exactly consumer culture - and they only had half an hour.

Edited by billybong

An very interesting chat but there could have been a few more practical ideas. Electric blankets are very cheap to on energy, thermal clothes, layering clothes, roll your owns, brew your own, split matches in two to make them last twice as long. No mention that identical clothes can cost a fraction depending on the outlet - just for the label - in fact sometimes cheaper is better quality. It would have been interesting to hear how to avoid energy costs (homeless to get a job at Morrisons to keep warm :P ) and council tax and accomodation costs (sharing etc was touched on in passing) and such like but being the BBC I guess such subjects would be barred and the others aren't exactly consumer culture - and they only had half an hour.

We have in recent years been indoctrinated to spend, spend, spend to make us feel better. The consumer culture = Growth, but growth for who?