House Price Crash Forum

Hey all

I am seriously looking into moving money from a RBS related account to the Co-Operative as I see the Coop less risky in terms of being over leveraged when the SHTF but what do others think?

Hey all

I am seriously looking into moving money from a RBS related account to the Co-Operative as I see the Coop less risky in terms of being over leveraged when the SHTF but what do others think?

Probably true - but remember Co-op has already done their fair share of bailing out the UK banking system - they took on failing Britannia who already took on Bristol and West BS.

Core tier 1 capital at 9.2%:

http://www.co-operative.coop/corporate/Press/Press-releases/CFS/Profits-increase-by-11-at-the-Co-operative-Financial-Services/

All I'm saying is - they were probably even stronger before they went on their acquisition spree... but Co-op is definitely one to consider - ethical banking too.

HSBC are cash positive (no "plate spinning" mortgage securitisation through money-market borrowing to lend more than their retail deposits). AFAIK, they are one of the few UK banks that are.

No idea really but my gut instinct was to put all our str money in the co-op. Would also appreciate some thoughts from others though as we have more than would be guarenteed by the government should things go wrong. Am also consdering premium bonds and am aware there is a seperate thread for investments so will check that out.

Thanks

Hey all

Co-op have put a lot of money in shared ownership and housing association housing. That's what pulled Dunfermline down.

If RBS, HSBC or the likes went down I don't the Co-Op would be much of a safe haven. They really are too big to allow to fail.

Government will do anything they have to. The consequences are what to worry about.

Yeah HSBC are on my short list too but they seem riskier than the little old Co op to me - just a gut instinct.

"...HSBC is the only bank I would cross the road for. It is conservatively capitalised and its management has more integrity and corporate culture than the rest of them put together.”"

Tom Doubell, highly respected fund manager from M&G - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/8097188/Doomsayers-are-selling-Britain-short-says-top-fund-manager-Tom-Dobell.html