House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Staff At Cash-Strapped Council Given Foot Rubs And Back Massages As People Queue For Housing Benefit Just Feet Away

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326661/Staff-cash-strapped-council-given-foot-rubs-massages-people-queue-housing-benefit-just-feet-away.html

A cash-strapped council has been criticised for pampering staff on a 'stress relief day' in full view of people queuing for housing benefits.

Wolverhampton City Council workers were given the free treatments despite the fact that the authority is planning to lay off staff in a bid to save £26million.

All council staff were invited to attend and passing members of the public were also encouraged to sample some free relaxation therapy.

Personnel were given foot rubs, massages and eyebrow threading as part of the event which took place yesterday - National Stress Awareness Day - at the city's Civic Centre reception area.

But council chiefs were forced to pull the rug on the foot-rubbing sessions following complaints from angry residents.

One member of the public who witnessed the pampering event said: 'Council workers were laid back in chairs having their feet massaged and their eyebrows waxed.

'It was all happening right next to a queue of people waiting for housing benefits. It is absolutely unbelievable. I can't believe they would hold a pampering event for staff.

'God knows how much it would have cost the council in lost productivity at a time when they are trying to cut back on costs.'

The event was instigated by the council's human resources department. Yesterday department head and Tory councillor Joan Stevenson defended the initiative, saying stress was 'a serious issue for staff and employers'.

But Chief Executive Simon Warren, who called time on the event, apologised for any 'insensitivity' shown to struggling taxpayers.

"I ordered an immediate halt to this event which I had not been informed about,' Mr Warren said.

'I understand that both members of the public and staff have complained about employees receiving massages in full public view and I completely support their concerns.

Yes clearly they should have been given free treatments behind closed doors where no one can see.

I'm all for work/life balance but it would appear someone really decided to take the p155 with this one. Lets have the staff out on the floor getting a message while people form an orderly queue. Unbelievable.

The massage recovery.

The first person the council should jettison is the imbecile who made the decision for this pampering session. Clearly this council has lost touch with all reality and think it's perfectly ok to use public money in such a flippant way.

I was working briefly for a small local council last year and they did offer this, however it wasn't a free service, maybe some of the county councils might but certainly not city councils.

From what I saw there's no such thing as a council that's not cash strapped these days, when you see what they have to do with the resources and funding they had it's a miracle they get anything done, dread to think how they will manage come the cuts :blink:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326661/Staff-cash-strapped-council-given-foot-rubs-massages-people-queue-housing-benefit-just-feet-away.html

Yes clearly they should have been given free treatments behind closed doors where no one can see.

I'm all for work/life balance but it would appear someone really decided to take the p155 with this one. Lets have the staff out on the floor getting a message while people form an orderly queue. Unbelievable.

The massage recovery.

How many times does it have to be demonstrated? When they can spend other peoples money and don't have to ask for it, what other outcome do you expect?

From what I saw there's no such thing as a council that's not cash strapped these days, when you see what they have to do with the resources and funding they had it's a miracle they get anything done, dread to think how they will manage come the cuts :blink:

That's alright they'll just use their surpluses or reserves.

Oh I forgot, the public services are disincentivised to run up any funding surplus.

"but but but, it was in the daily wail so it doesn't count"

That'll be the average leftie response

Daily Mail articles counts as much as those from the Guardian, i.e. very little.

I was working briefly for a small local council last year and they did offer this, however it wasn't a free service, maybe some of the county councils might but certainly not city councils.

Didn't see a sarcasm emoticon, so assume your serious. Did this small council ask that it's employee's clock off before getting this 'pamper session'? When you say it wasn't free, was it susidised in any way?

I work for a large private company, and the same stress relieving bogus therapies are pedalled here too!

I did enjoy the free herbal tea though! :huh:

The first person the council should jettison is the imbecile who made the decision for this pampering session. Clearly this council has lost touch with all reality and think it's perfectly ok to use public money in such a flippant way.

Um, I hope you realise that the 400+ councils up and down the country have been doing this for years.