House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davedavies

Batten Down The Hatches

Don`t mess with the Fish

Fish has subsequently claimed that his comments about a hurricane had nothing to do with the UK; they referred to Florida, USA, and were linked to a news story immediately preceding the weather bulletin, but had been so widely repeated out of context that the British public remains convinced that he was referring to the approaching storm.

According to Michael Fish, the woman in question was actually a colleague's mother who was about to go on holiday in the Caribbean, and had called regarding (the already long-dissipated) Hurricane Floyd to see if it would be safe to travel.

I don't remember him saying anything of the sort when it all blew up in his face!

We didnt lose one roof tile in 1987, despite living more or less on top of the South Downs barely a stones throw from the south coast.

Hurricane my ass.

Hmm

Know what you mean but there were quite a lot of trees that would disagree with you. Seem to remember a wet period led to them being more easily uprooted.

I came through the worst hit areas by bus the next day and the mess was fairly impressive.

It was only technically declared a hurricane because there was a brief period when the wind was steady over 100mph in one small area.

I seem to remember the Scots copping something much stronger not long after, something like 140mph, and no-one considered it worthy of much attention!

Could be 1987 all over again if things stay as they are currently look..A horrific return to work on Monday.

Could be pretty bad coz most leaves are still on the trees which pull them over.

We have the record in Norfolk

120+mph in '87

I lived in Southend On Sea in 1987 on a tree lined street and next door had a tree come through their roof and most of the tress in the street were uprooted and blocked the road :(

I vividly remember there was a caravan place near us and they were all flattened like cardboard boxes :D

Could be pretty bad coz most leaves are still on the trees which pull them over.

120+mph in '87

It looks like the worst of winds will be southerly or easterly as well, due to the low pressure's southerly track - directions most trees tend not to be as "protected" against as they are not used to them.

I seem to remember the Scots copping something much stronger not long after, something like 140mph, and no-one considered it worthy of much attention!

Probably. I was driving this week early doors in the worst conditions I have ever experienced. Down the M77 at 10mph. Then I actually had to stop as I could not see past my bonnet. No exaggeration. Sat half way up an exit ramp for a few minutes till it calmed down - a bit !!

Driven for 6 months in Canada during the winter never had it as bad.

120+mph in '87

I assume this record does not include mightly Jockland !! Thats just a wee bit breezy in some parts of the Western Isles :lol:

Oh and the ground will be very soggy too everywhere so much less resistance to trees falling over :unsure:

It doesn't look too bad. Just an average deep Autumn low to me. Although I am no expert.

I will be cycling to work in my shorts as per normal.

Fish has subsequently claimed that his comments about a hurricane had nothing to do with the UK; they referred to Florida, USA, and were linked to a news story immediately preceding the weather bulletin, but had been so widely repeated out of context that the British public remains convinced that he was referring to the approaching storm.

According to Michael Fish, the woman in question was actually a colleague's mother who was about to go on holiday in the Caribbean, and had called regarding (the already long-dissipated) Hurricane Floyd to see if it would be safe to travel.

I don't remember him saying anything of the sort when it all blew up in his face!

BS - How can this be about the Caribbean?

Interesting to compare the plot above with the pressures in 1987

I assume this record does not include mightly Jockland !! Thats just a wee bit breezy in some parts of the Western Isles :lol:

Ever noticed many trees above 3ft or bit higher in a sheltered valley up there on the burrens?

We have Nodland in the East - full of noggins!

A hurricane requires 64mph winds. We'll get them with this system.

http://en.wikipedia....cane_or_typhoon

The '87 woz a 959 low - your post is showing a lower low!

A hurricane requires 64mph winds. We'll get them with this system.

http://en.wikipedia....cane_or_typhoon

a hurricane requires more than wind strength. This is a storm. wink.gif

The characteristic that separates tropical cyclones from other cyclonic systems is that any height in the atmosphere, the center of a tropical cyclone will be warmer than its surrounds; a phenomenon called "warm core" storm systems.

20 years later and he was still digging holes,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iuQjGy2qZA

This was a British weather forcaster saying that a woman had called the BBC fearing a Hurricane was on the way. This was during a weather forcast for Britain. :lol: .... No mention of Florida/Bemuda !!! Watch him squirm. Even the reporters doubt his excuse.

20 years later and he was still digging holes,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iuQjGy2qZA

This was a British weather forcaster saying that a woman had called the BBC fearing a Hurricane was on the way. This was during a weather forcast for Britain. :lol: .... No mention of Florida/Bemuda !!! Watch him squirm. Even the reporters doubt his excuse.

what a fool. Why lie about it still, 20 years on ffs? He said goodbye to the last shred of his credibility in that interview.

:rolleyes:

When you're experiencing 80mph winds, do you really care what the temperature is a couple of miles up? :rolleyes:

nope, but if I'm in the UK I know I'm not in a hurricane

what a fool. Why lie about it still, 20 years on ffs? He said goodbye to the last shred of his credibility in that interview.

Because he makes money out of it.

If he just agreed years ago that he got it wrong, it would all be forgotten now. By keeping the story going, he gets TV appearances and after dinner speeches.

Nice little earner.

:rolleyes:

When you're experiencing 80mph winds, do you really care what the temperature is a couple of miles up? :rolleyes:

When I got up at 2.30am I checked emails then had a quick look on weather site and it was 16 degrees in Grimsby and 14 degrees in Stornoway!

http://skylinkweathe...mapstyle=cutout

Set site for your town then move mouse slowly over the arrows!

Not bad for 4th/5th Nov!

nope, but if I'm in the UK I know I'm not in a hurricane

January 11, 2005 On the evening of the 11th and early morning of the 12th, a ferocious gale swept across Northern Ireland and northwest Scotland. Wind speeds of 134 mph (equivalent to a strong Category 3 hurricane) were recorded on North Rona and wind speeds in excess of 110 mph (180 km/h) measured on South Uist with 105 mph (169 km/h) on Barra in the Hebrides before the automatic station stopped reporting at 17.00

having been there at the time there were unofficial gusts recorded of 153mph

the damage was immense and electricity was cut off for 6 days

Shipping reported it as a storm force 12 - hurricane