House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

A Bust Gate That No Buses Actually Use

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/A-road-to-nowhere.6608866.jp

IT was once used by thousands of vehicles an hour but this Sheffield street today stands silent and deserted - blocked by a bus gate that no buses have used for more than two years.

All traffic except buses, cycles and taxis, was banned from Bridge Street after the inner relief road was completed in 2007.

Service changes introduced in spring 2008 mean no buses now pass along the city centre street and the council is considering closing it entirely, apart from for access by emergency vehicles.

Officers insist it should not be reopened as they claim it would encourage through traffic to divert from the inner ring road, bringing jams back to the Exchange Gate area which is subject of major development plans in the future.

But one city centre worker said: "It's ridiculous. I park just off Bridge Street, at Riverside, and to get there from Park Square you have to go three times as far around the inner ring road and pass through many more traffic lights than if you could drive through the bus gate - a road which used to accommodate a large amount of traffic and now serves no purpose."

Coun Ian Auckland, Sheffield Council cabinet member for business, transport and skills, said: "Reducing the number of vehicles on Exchange Gate is integral to bringing Victoria Quays into the city centre as well as future plans to open up the castle ruins as a visitor attraction.

"To reopen Bridge Street might shave a few minutes off some journeys but the negative impact just wouldn't be worth it.

"We could, of course, just pave over Bridge Street at the bus gate but doing so would mean that emergency vehicles couldn't use it for access. Now that there are no buses using the gate, we need to review the restriction.

"Maybe making it 'no vehicles' except emergency traffic would be more suitable. I will be speaking with officers to investigate this."

Despite deciding to keep Bridge Street closed to general traffic, the council is set to hold a public vote on whether to restore the T-junction between Furnival Gate and Pinstone Street.

The centre of the junction is currently blocked by a giant island, meaning buses that used to turn right at the end of Pinstone Street have to turn left and do a u-turn at Furnival Square Roundabout, adding to congestion.

Car drivers who could once pass freely across the junction between Charter Square and Furnival Square have to turn into Pinstone Street and make a u-turn back to the junction with Furnival Gate to continue on their way.

An excellent use of resources.

I wonder how what the effect of all this is on CO2 emissions and waste in petrol forcing people to travel further than necessary.

Anyone done any reports looking at these effects?

http://www.thestar.c...here.6608866.jp

An excellent use of resources.

I wonder how what the effect of all this is on CO2 emissions and waste in petrol forcing people to travel further than necessary.

Anyone done any reports looking at these effects?

Weirdly, closing some roads can actually improve traffic flow, reduce overall travel times & reduce carbon emissions. It's a network effect: if you have a direct route that doesn't have the capacity for the traffic & an indirect route that does, the problem is that everyone takes the direct route, and the longer route is under-used. Worst case, the direct route clogs up completely and impedes flow on the roads it crosses.

There's a paper out there somewhere which demonstrates that closing one or two of the bridges across the Thames would actually improve London traffic...

and to get there from Park Square you have to go three times as far around the inner ring road and pass through many more traffic lights than if you could drive through the bus gate

Yep, that's Sheffield's roads for you.

It just makes me glad I don't drive.