House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ray Davies

Who Will Occupy This Housing Stock?

As in many other parts of the country, my hometown is surrounded by a multitude of picturesque villages. These villages together with certain parts of the town have an abundance of expensive and well-established properties. Prices range around £300-400k.

Many of my friends are in a similar position to my family and occupy terraced houses or semi-detached houses, valued around £120-160k. My question, to the learned folk here is: who will occupy this housing stock now that the gap between the young and the old is so large? A few of the younger generation may strike it rich, but the majority will continue with average waged jobs, and thus these houses will be out of reach.

Edited by Ray Davies

As in many other parts of the country, my hometown is surrounded by a multitude of picturesque villages. These villages together with certain parts of the town have an abundance of expensive and well-established properties. Prices range around £300-400k.

Many of my friends are in a similar position to my family and occupy terraced houses or semi-detached houses, valued around £120-160k. My question, to the learned folk here is: who will occupy this housing stock now that the gap between the young and the old is so large? A few of the younger generation may strike it rich, but the majority will continue with average waged jobs, and thus these houses will be out of reach.

In time today's younger generation will occupy all of these properties. Partly because these houses will be cheaper, but part will also be via renting. Owner occupancy rates are falling and will probably keep falling for some time, from 70% today to perhaps the 50-60% that's more common on the continent. Consequently the age of FTB's will stay high and more from today's younger generation, compared with their parent's generation, will never realise their ambition of property ownership.

Inheritance.