House Price Crash Forum
NatalieJUK

Prestwich

There seem to be quite a few nice houses in Prestwich. What's it like as an area?

I'm still confused as hell by Manchester housing market though. There doesn't seem to be THAT much difference between a house that costs £200k and one that costs £450k. (There seem to be nice 1930s semis at both ends of that spectrum - and in all areas).

There seem to be quite a few nice houses in Prestwich. What's it like as an area?

I'm still confused as hell by Manchester housing market though. There doesn't seem to be THAT much difference between a house that costs £200k and one that costs £450k. (There seem to be nice 1930s semis at both ends of that spectrum - and in all areas).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestwich

Historically home to Manchester large immigrant communities as the cotton/rag trade developed. Well known as having quite a large Jewish community, but also home historically to the Greek community around Prestwich and Broughton. The rather beautiful Greek Orthodox church is on Bury New Rd in Broughton.

http://www.genuki.or...kOrthodox.shtml

You can see from the wiki entry the wide variety of slebs haling from the area, and there's quite a wide mix of house types including some rather impressive Victorian villas (many now converted to flats, some not) as in many parts of Mcr. I have family who lived (and are buried) there late nineteenth century through to the second world war. I'm sure many 'immigrant' families do whether Jewish, Greek, Irish (and more laterly Muslim) and so on........

I really think you need to spend some time on the ground having a look around. It's not really got very much to do with the price of a house, it's to do with what sort of the place you want to live in, what type of area you 'feel at home' in, socially, politically and environmentally and so on.

Asking if somewhere is 'any good' is probably the wrong question.

Edited by Frank Sidebottom

Thanks RK. I have had a good look around, and will continue to (also spent a lot of time there in the past and have family there).

But I have absolutely no radar at all for 'bad' areas. I live in Walthamstow and the only place I have EVER felt threatened in in the whole world was Tottenham. So I really appreciate the wisdom of others to keep me out of scrapes.

I want to fall in love with a house really - but I can imagine doing that and it being a bad choice. So far the two that I've liked the best have been Blackley (which thanks to this forum I've been assured isn't a good option!) and Prestwich. Which seems a bit better.

Why? You fall in love with a place and it's people, not a pile of bricks. :)

Hm yeah - perhaps I'm a bit weird like that.

I do get a nice warm feeling about Manchester in general (and the people sound like me, which helps), but think I'd have to spend a lot longer there to fall in love with particular communities. Having a house I loved would definitely help...

Hm yeah - perhaps I'm a bit weird like that.

I do get a nice warm feeling about Manchester in general (and the people sound like me, which helps), but think I'd have to spend a lot longer there to fall in love with particular communities. Having a house I loved would definitely help...

I just tried to message you but it says you can't receive them. If you do, send me one back.

I agree with you that it's important to 'fall in love' with your home and the area. It's really difficult trying to second guess what suits someone's personal tastes, but I think you're right to invest the time and effort doing this. Obviously you have some historical perspective of Prestwich as it happens. I only know it directly through elderly family. It's a bit like the threads discussing certain parts of Chorlton, Didsbury and Whalley Range etc. I went on a date with a woman in Chorlton a few weeks back - she was a very arty/bohemian type and seemed to love her part of Chorlton. No doubt it might not appeal to Telegraph reading accountants in quite the same way, I don't know.

But stick with it! I'm sure it'll be worth the effort.

I just tried to message you but it says you can't receive them. If you do, send me one back.

I agree with you that it's important to 'fall in love' with your home and the area. It's really difficult trying to second guess what suits someone's personal tastes, but I think you're right to invest the time and effort doing this. Obviously you have some historical perspective of Prestwich as it happens. I only know it directly through elderly family. It's a bit like the threads discussing certain parts of Chorlton, Didsbury and Whalley Range etc. I went on a date with a woman in Chorlton a few weeks back - she was a very arty/bohemian type and seemed to love her part of Chorlton. No doubt it might not appeal to Telegraph reading accountants in quite the same way, I don't know.

But stick with it! I'm sure it'll be worth the effort.

Now I would, but I can't seem to use the bloody site - I feel humiliated. I can't see any of the links that the Help suggestion is telling me to click on to send a message and I can't see what I'm doing to bar messages. Bah!

I really liked Chorlton. Again though, I can't make sense of the pricing, seems completely random - wondering if what seems like illogical price differences are from estate agents redrawing the boundaries with Whalley Range (though I did like Whalley Range...) and wherever. Or some not being realistic about changes in the market.

Just curious, BBC move?

I lived in South Manchester for 9 years (Cheadle Hulme) and it initially seemed strange how you could drive from a "good area" to a "bad area" in the space of 5 mins (with the consequent effect on house prices).

Used to love the Estate Agent BS terminology, e.g. one area could be described as "Bramhall Borders" just to tart it up a bit. Sounds similar up Prestwich way.

Edited by Bootsox

why don't you just rent there for a few years and get your own feel for it?

I've wondered this and it was the reason I was asking if it was a BBC/company move.

Sometimes companies offer lucrative terms for moving that might make you want to buy (legal/survey fees, settling in grants, etc).

I've wondered this and it was the reason I was asking if it was a BBC/company move.

Sometimes companies offer lucrative terms for moving that might make you want to buy (legal/survey fees, settling in grants, etc).

Yeah...and it took me ages to make the move to London from the north, so if I make the commitment to move I really want to stick with it.

The rather beautiful Greek Orthodox church is on Bury New Rd in Broughton.

http://www.genuki.or...kOrthodox.shtml

Know it well although you couldn't pay me enough to live in that bit of Broughton but I know a crazy Greek who lives in one of the "New" Broughton developments.

I really should have bought in Whitefield/Prestwich back in 2003/4 when I had the chance and mortgages were dropping out of cornflakes packets. I've got/had friends living within the vicinity of Bury New Road/Scholes Lane and it has always seemed like a reasonably nice place.

I know it reasonably well and it is a very nice place for North Manchester and also has the massive and fantastic Heaton Park on your doorstep. There are some very expensive Jewish parts. It borders on Whitefield which is also nice but as you say there can be some variation in prices depending on the actual roads and specific areas you're looking at. Why not post some links of some of the houses you're interested in? I would also recommend renting in an area for a while before buying so you can get a feel for whether it is right for you.

I know it reasonably well and it is a very nice place for North Manchester and also has the massive and fantastic Heaton Park on your doorstep. There are some very expensive Jewish parts. It borders on Whitefield which is also nice but as you say there can be some variation in prices depending on the actual roads and specific areas you're looking at. Why not post some links of some of the houses you're interested in?

Ah thanks. I really like this one, though I don't share their love of oak, it would have to go:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26298031.html

Ah thanks. I really like this one, though I don't share their love of oak, it would have to go:

http://www.rightmove...y-26298031.html

The area is OK - you're near to Prestwich village and a huge Tescos and you're close to the roundabout to get on the M60. Lots of parks (although not sure what state they're in). I would say the area is only OK though and shouldn't command a price like that. I think you can do much better for your money but it depends on your requirements. Even on the same road, there are houses £40,000 cheaper with the same number of bedrooms. Take a look at Whitefield too as there are some nice houses there.

The area is OK - you're near to Prestwich village and a huge Tescos and you're close to the roundabout to get on the M60. Lots of parks (although not sure what state they're in). I would say the area is only OK though and shouldn't command a price like that. I think you can do much better for your money but it depends on your requirements. Even on the same road, there are houses £40,000 cheaper with the same number of bedrooms. Take a look at Whitefield too as there are some nice houses there.

I will do - thank you very much for the advice, I really appreciate it. I have been watching Rightmove obsessively and can't work out what's good value and what isn't, the prices seem to vary so much for similar sorts of houses.

By the same token - is this very overpriced do you think? http://manchester.gumtree.com/manchester/17/68193317.html?WT.mc_id=OP-194-2401-manchester

Looks amazing, but over budget for me. It doesn't look better value than the other (admittedly 3/4 bedroomed) one I like (both are in the same road).

I've noticed a lot of houses have pool tables in them!

By the same token - is this very overpriced do you think? http://manchester.gu...2401-manchester

Looks amazing, but over budget for me. It doesn't look better value than the other (admittedly 3/4 bedroomed) one I like (both are in the same road).

I've noticed a lot of houses have pool tables in them!

For half a million, I would expect to get a detached house with a big garden. It seems overpriced to me but I would say that being a bear ;).

For half a million, I would expect to get a detached house with a big garden. It seems overpriced to me but I would say that being a bear ;).

I think you're right. And I've always thought I was ultra-bear, so it seems strange to be asking. What area/type of house would you think was best to move in around that budget?

I know the following roads in Whitefield are very well off. Places like Ringley (quite a Jewish area but very well to do), Wentworth Av, Higher Lane. To be honest, I think we'll still see some hefty falls even there by this time next year so I would still advise renting for a bit yet. Plus you get to sample an area with minimal risk so you know it is right for you.

Rightmove Link