House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Migraine Sufferers - What Do You Take?

Any fellow migraine sufferers out there? I'm interested how you combat them.

I've used Migraleve for about ten years now. I didn't overdo it because I didn't want to become immune to them. However, they're finally losing their potency for me. Which begs the question, what to take in future?

Migraleve were always great, probably due to the codeine ingredient. Codeine changes into morphine within the bloodstream. They were the only over the counter pills that could wipe out a full-on migraine (including the vomiting). I believe some cough medicines also contain codeine.

So what do you use? And don't say yoga :ph34r:

Magnesium supplements.

I take Sophadeine Max as they are the only Sophadeine without caffeine added.

I strongly suggest you investigate magnesium citrate. I buy mine from Natures Best online in a product called Maglev I think. It won't help you when you have a migraine but daily supplementation may well reduce the number you have.

I am not a doctor.

I used to suffer from them in my late teens to mid twenties - the fall visual effects, severe pain, vomiting, spaced out the next day.

Was having them once a week and I was eventually put on a course of beta blockers. Dodgy for your heart but they really did the trick.

For the couple of years after taking them i had one or two more but have not had any for about 3 years. Still scared of getting them as they are so bad. Have every sympathy for you.

Any fellow migraine sufferers out there? I'm interested how you combat them.

I've used Migraleve for about ten years now.

I used to get a lot of migraines. Migraleve yellow did nothing for me, the pink seemed to help though.

Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) seems to help some people, I went on a course of tablets which didn't help during a headache but I got significantly fewer headaches after a couple of months. I also moved and changed jobs at the same time, so I can't say whether the feverfew really helped but it might be worth a try.

Still haven't found anything to fix a migraine once I feel it coming on though!

Ibuprofen helps... the biggest help is completely cutting out caffeine. If I relent and have a couple of cup of coffee or some cola I can suffer for days after... Without any caffeine i get migraines much less frequently (once or twice a month), with caffeine I have a headache 50% of the time.

Simple aspirin worked the best for me. Not had a migraine for over 3 years now though. I went through a period in my late 20's when I had one every month or two.

Combinations of stress and tiredness set them off for me, as can bright lights eg sunlight or driving into headlights at night. i get quite strong carb cravings often at onset (and just having some dense carbs can moderate a migraine), extreme standard symptoms and sometimes more unusual symptoms like one-sided loss of power or sensation.

Anything paracetamol or ibuprofen based don't work or make me vomit. Aspirin is the only thing OTC I've found to really work - used to take a high dose aspirin produnt called Femigraine but its been withdrawn. Used to carry an Imigran injection pen with me since they can come on quickly and I'd get stranded a long commute from home - these were effective but had odd side effects like weird sensations in your neck\throat.

Hope you find a solution soon. Have you tried an exclusion diet to determine any food triggers? I tend to find the body fairly reliable in this way - if I've got an impending migraine I go completely off alcohol, coffee, onions and anything with fat in - weird.

ok that's great. Quite a few suggestions here. I'll certainly try a few.

Sophadeine Max

magnesium citrate

Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium)

avoid caffeine

Aspirin

Imigran injection pen

I'm not sure about diet. Cutting caffeine is worth trying though. I seem to get struck down only at work, which suggests stress is the root cause. The more rushed I am, the more likely a migraine will strike.

I actually got less attacks after marrying haha. It must have done me some good somehow. But (thanks to the recession) things are starting to go wrong at work, and the problem is returning. Oh well.

I suffer from classic migraines with nasty visual distortions that leave me immobilised. Throw in some nausea and numbness if its bad. My doctor suggested taking 1200mg of Ibuprofen at the onset of an attack and much to my surprise it works. It is a small window - within about 5minutes but it knocks the migraine completely out. Any later and it has little effect on the attack.

Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) seems to help some people

It certainly helped me in my mid-20s but not a college of mine.

Luckily don't get hem myself. However could there be a link to dehydration ? I reckon most people who sit in offices and pop pills for 'headaches' just need to down mroe water during the day. Only time I ever get headaches is when I am dehydrated.

Could some migraines be an extreme example of this ? Just thinking out loud.

For everyone on this thread - what colour is your piss generally ? If it is not almost clear then you are constantly dehydrated. That is not good for the brain.

Not that I am a doc or anything !!

Only Sumatriptan or other triptans work for me. You can get them from a doctor or you can buy them in the Chemists - but to buy them in the Chemists you must fill out a form, and you must have been diagnosed with Migraine by a doctor in the past. (they are called Imigran Recovery)

I find that no amount of aspirin (even 900mg), ibuprofen (1200mg), paracetamol (1g), codeine (60mg) will do much for migraine. Codeine works the best but all it does is "dull" the migraine while Sumatriptan will completely remove it.

I used to get migraine a lot. I haven't had one for years. I always get a warning with jaggy lines in my vision (which is apparently a form of migraine). If I get this I take a cup of ginger tea with honey. Just put about a quarter of a teaspoon of ground ginger in a big cup and add boiling water. The honey just makes it a bit more palatable. If I take this the jaggy lines are gone within five minutes and all is well. Mind you, I stay off of coffee for a day.

Hey! It's a cheap fix if it works for you. Good luck.