House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lepista

Deflation

we all hear that deflation is bad (from tptb)

howeve, they all say they promote green ideas.

Isn't deflation the ultimate green policy?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/currency/8103462/QE2-risks-currency-wars-and-the-end-of-dollar-hegemony.html

David Bloom, currency chief at HSBC, said the root problem is lack of underlying demand in the global economy, leaving Western economies trapped near stalling speed. "There are no policy levers left. Countries are having to tighten fiscal policy, and interest rates are already near zero. The last resort is a weaker currency, so everybody is trying to do it," he said.

The turmoil we are seeing in the world markets is in reaction to the deflation of a very old, perhaps 300 year, bubble.

Too much capacity and sated demand. Too many imbalances. China cornering the market by keeping their currency devalued. Non-productive assett bubbles.

It all needs to unwind and the approaching perfect storm will be a witches brew for anyone trying to predict what to do or what to invest in.

The dominoes are nicely stacked up and QE2 may be the flick of the finger against the first one. Ben needs to learn that you cannot beat the market and its pay back time for hundreds of years of fractional reserve banking.

Deflation is bad because it raises the value of money and therefore raises the value of debt held by individuals (the voting majority) and governments.

Deflation is ultimately a monetary thing and has nothing in common with green policies as far as I'm aware. However, the insanity of constant economic growth is very anti-green.

The reason why I am not in the hyperinflation camp is peak oil and resources. I have taken the view that best way to manage the current crisis is to let a good amount of demand to be destroyed by the natural deflationary forces. They would be insane to try and print our way out of this mess.

Interesting the most ardent inflationists ague that the FED and governments are insane. Listen to Peter Schiff etc and they all argue hyperinflation will be the result of bad decisions. I am giving the FED and world governments the benefit of doubt.

Tomorrow will be an interesting day...

Deflation is bad because it raises the value of money and therefore raises the value of debt held by individuals (the voting majority) and governments.

Deflation is ultimately a monetary thing and has nothing in common with green policies as far as I'm aware. However, the insanity of constant economic growth is very anti-green.

Money supply is very relevant to green policies, the average westerner lives the life of a king from only a 100 years ago. This has largely been created off the back of exponential money supply growth as matched by the exponential supply of oil (the real wealth).

The oil supply is plateauing, increasing the money supply now would be insane. Either way the cheap and plentiful supply of resources is what has allowed us to live the lives we have either inflation or deflation will take it away going forward.

The main problem with printing money in the face of resource constraints is that it allows the rich to get richer and has very little impact on the poorer 95% of the population, this can lead to huge social tensions. Deflation (allowing default on debt) will create the "in it together" environment need for relative social cohesion.

Money supply is very relevant to green policies, the average westerner lives the life of a king from only a 100 years ago. This has largely been created off the back of exponential money supply growth as matched by the exponential supply of oil (the real wealth).

The oil supply is plateauing, increasing the money supply now would be insane. Either way the cheap and plentiful supply of resources is what has allowed us to live the lives we have either inflation or deflation will take it away going forward.

The main problem with printing money in the face of resource constraints is that it allows the rich to get richer and has very little impact on the poorer 95% of the population, this can lead to huge social tensions. Deflation (allowing default on debt) will create the "in it together" environment need for relative social cohesion.

When I said deflation is bad I was making the point from the opinion of the feckless individuals and govts. mired in debt. I personally would love monetary deflation, I'd be living like a king, but it looks like TPTB are determined not to let it happen. So I've cashed out into real money and am having my deflation that way. So long suckers and thanks for the free ride B)

Yes

Which is why there is no such thing as a green-policy under the current global economic model of perpetual growth

why?

Because money is abstracted energy.

Less money in circulation = less energy tokens in circulation = less energy consumed.

Edited by tallguy

yes

Yes, which is exactly why global warming is a load of ****.

Because money is abstracted energy.

Less money in circulation = less energy tokens in circulation = less energy consumed.

+1

Energy and money are intimately connected. Fractional reserve lending (elastic currency) is really the culprit.

Put another way, the monetary system is only sustainable if there is unending growth. There's just not enough resources to achieve this. Therefore the monetary system must be changed.