House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashConnoisseur

'landlords Forced To Insulate Homes'

'Landlords forced to insulate homes':

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/housing-management/landlords-forced-to-insulate-homes/6512310.article

Private landlords will be required by law to make energy efficiency improvements at their tenants’ request.

Energy and climate change secretary Chris Huhne will announce new measures today to force landlords to make ‘reasonable energy efficiency improvements’ to their properties from 2015 onwards. The new powers will be contained in the Energy Bill, due for publication next month.

[...snip..]

Mr Huhne said: ‘The Green Deal’s about making people feel as warm as toast in their homes. I want Britain to say goodbye forever to leaky lofts and chilly draughts. At a time of increasing gas prices, energy efficiency is a no-brainer.’

Well, if it happens...

Excellent for tenants.

Will be the last straw for some landlords, who will sell up, so, excellent.

Will mean jobs are created, insulating houses.

What to do about the inevitable cowboys is another question.

That's propably the best thing we've heard from Huhne since he came to power. Well done that minister! :)

Now for his followup, improve the rules on new-build homes.

- ground source heat pumps - much better to install before building a home than to retro-fit

- flats - communal heating/hot water systems (metered per flat) - much better than individual boilers in each flat, and ideal if there's a south-facing roof to mount water-heating panels.

I thought the relatively recent new rules for multiple occupancy were supposed to be the last straw.

And margin calls from lenders, weren't they to be the last straw.

A few hundred quid spent on loft insulation will definitely be the last straw. Landlords will cause a stampede for the exit in their hurry to sell up, happily paying an estate agent a couple of grand rather than fork out a few hundred quid and happy to miss out on future rental returns and capital increases.

Private landlords will be required by law to make energy efficiency improvements at their tenants’ request.

I have no idea why it took so long.

My landlord is great in general, but did not rush to accommodate my request for extra loft insulation.
You cheapskate, do it yourself! With the offers B&Q have had on loft insulation, it would cost less than £50 to do most lofts. If you like a toasty house you'll save that much in a year.

It costs about a grand to have a detached house fully insulated. If this pushes a landlord over the edge, they were already compeltely screwed.

Will mean jobs are created, insulating houses.

What to do about the inevitable cowboys is another question.

There are plenty of reputable firms doing it already, as for many people for the last years there have been generous grants available which for many people covered the entire cost. The actual work takes a team of blokes half a day to a day per house depending on layout... a detached bungalow with cavity walls and no insulation is quick, a terraced house is a lot harder!

(My brother in law works for a company as a "salesman"... most of the work is actually as a surveyor calculating costs based on building size and layout... few people reject the quotes as it's so cheap!)

more likely to invest in fire insurance

Insulation ISN'T expensive.

I thought the relatively recent new rules for multiple occupancy were supposed to be the last straw.

A few hundred quid spent on loft insulation will definitely be the last straw. Landlords will cause a stampede for the exit in their hurry to sell up, happily paying an estate agent a couple of grand rather than fork out a few hundred quid and happy to miss out on future rental returns and capital increases.

Is there any reason why you are so utterly desperate to poo poo everything on this site? It has been really noticeable the last week or so. Every time there is bearish news you inevitably appear

Tempting, but my landlord's making so little money out of renting the house to me (far less than he would if he sold it and banked the money) that I wouldn't have the heart to ask him to spend even more money on it.

2015...we'll all be frozen by then

And the Ruffles the GP...if it only costs £50 to do the job...why wont the FRACKING Landlord do it....he gets the benefit even after the tenant leaves.

2015...we'll all be frozen by then

And the Ruffles the GP...if it only costs £50 to do the job...why wont the FRACKING Landlord do it....he gets the benefit even after the tenant leaves.

I believe landlords get extra tax relief in energy improvements anyway. Makes sence for them to get it in before getting a hpc done to sell it. Then the taxman takes some of the hit.

From 2015 onwards???? What's wrong with starting from summer next year you pratt!?

Take this new legislation for what it really is; all talk.

Re-election year?

Loads of stuff seems to be deferred or comes into being at this time frame!

It's when people realise how much damage the Tory Bullingdon Boys are doing to the Welfare State (and they will be letting millions more immigrants in to help bust it all too)

You cheapskate, do it yourself! With the offers B&Q have had on loft insulation, it would cost less than £50 to do most lofts.

One word to you RufflesTheGuineaPig: LIABILITY

If the landlord puts a great big hole in the ceiling whilst insulating, then that's his fault. If the tenant does it, thats something quite different. Christ, some landlords are withholding deposits because tenants have the temerity to hang a few pictures up in some cases. dry.gif

:lol: - very good!

What, the ones Grant Shapps got rid of?

"Published 7 September 2010

Housing Minister Grant Shapps ... laid new regulations that could cut as many as 8,500 planning applications from the system, freeing up councils to focus on local priorities. Currently landlords have to submit a planning application to rent their properties to unrelated tenants - known as Houses in Multiple Occupation. Regulations published today will ensure councils only have to use this power where they know high concentrations of shared homes are a problem."

http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/housing/1708224

What, the ones Grant Shapps got rid of?

"Published 7 September 2010

Housing Minister Grant Shapps ... laid new regulations that could cut as many as 8,500 planning applications from the system, freeing up councils to focus on local priorities. Currently landlords have to submit a planning application to rent their properties to unrelated tenants - known as Houses in Multiple Occupation. Regulations published today will ensure councils only have to use this power where they know high concentrations of shared homes are a problem."

http://www.communiti...housing/1708224

Getting old, can't remember what the regs were. I do remember the posts on here claiming that new regulations affecting houses in multiple occupancy were going to (apparently) cost landlords a fortune and cause a stampede for the exit.

Hold on, what's that noise? ... Just having a look out of the window .... Bloody hell, there must be a thousand of the baastards - it's going to be carnage ... the one in front has led them into a cul-de-sac ... didn't realise the useless feckers could run like that ... bugger it, can't find the key to the gun cupboard ... never mind, they've broken through a back garden fence and ended up in the river.

Not every day you see a stampede of scum landlords. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Getting old, can't remember what the regs were. I do remember the posts on here claiming that new regulations affecting houses in multiple occupancy were going to (apparently) cost landlords a fortune and cause a stampede for the exit.Hold on, what's that noise? ... Just having a look out of the window .... Bloody hell, there must be a thousand of the baastards - it's going to be carnage ... the one in front has led them into a cul-de-sac ... didn't realise the useless feckers could run like that ... bugger it, can't find the key to the gun cupboard ... never mind, they've broken through a back garden fence and ended up in the river.

Not every day you see a stampede of scum landlords. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

That would be the change to the regulations announced in April 2010 - precis below

"From April, an amendment to the Town and Country Planning Act will create a new planning class for HMOs that will require landlords to apply for permission to change use to open a new letting property that is altered from a family home to a shared house for three tenants who are unrelated and share basic amenities.

The change of use will affect landlords buying a home to let as an HMO and investors who already let a property under a single assured shorthold tenancy agreement who want to convert the property to a multiple let.

Current legislation requires property owners to apply for planning permission when six or more unrelated tenants live in a property and share basic amenities, like a kitchen and bathrooms."

The change in regulations that was done away with in September 2010 by Grant Shapps.

So hardly surprising that you haven't seen a stampede for the exits.

That would be the change to the regulations announced in April 2010 - precis below

"From April, an amendment to the Town and Country Planning Act will create a new planning class for HMOs that will require landlords to apply for permission to change use to open a new letting property that is altered from a family home to a shared house for three tenants who are unrelated and share basic amenities.

The change of use will affect landlords buying a home to let as an HMO and investors who already let a property under a single assured shorthold tenancy agreement who want to convert the property to a multiple let.

Current legislation requires property owners to apply for planning permission when six or more unrelated tenants live in a property and share basic amenities, like a kitchen and bathrooms."

The change in regulations that was done away with in September 2010 by Grant Shapps.

So hardly surprising that you haven't seen a stampede for the exits.

So, did the regs never take effect?

Tories eh? The landlord's friend.

So, did the regs never take effect?

Tories eh? The landlord's friend.

No, they didn't, much to the annoyance of some councils, such as Bournemouth (political makeup Conservative 37, Independent 5,

Labour 3, Liberal Democrat 8, Other 1). See letter to Grant Shapps from its leader, Peter Charon (Conservative):

"We were certainly supportive of the new planning regulations that came into force on April 1 2010 – as this would have been the key way in which we would have been able to control the spread and concentrated proliferation of student house / HMO’s. Like a number of other Councils – Milton Keynes and Leeds amongst them - I too feel the need to write to you and express disappointment at the relative lack of due consideration and consultation in respect of your decision to abolish the requirement to seek planning permission when changing the use of a property from the new Class C3 to C4 with effect from today. We will lose the control of insisting on conditions where consent might have been granted and it seems as if we will now have to rely on the possibility of an Article 4 Directive. This will be cumbersome and potentially expensive if compensation issues are not addressed and dealt with properly."

As both landlord + tenant I reckon this is good news. The houses I've rented have always had terrible insulation.. and as a landlord why would I want to overstress those boilers that keep breaking down !